Do your characters ever hiijack your story?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AnnieAnne, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

This hasn't happened yet in my Urban Fantasy WIP, but I can tell you that I was completely caught off-guard when I found out that the character I wanted to be the lead hero of my Doctor Who elsewhere-fic had actually been a serial killer the whole time :D

Exactly :) I've seen a lot of people dis outlining because they want to discover the story over the course of the writing process – rather than knowing everything ahead of time – but that's exactly what outlining is!

Non-outliners start at the beginning of a first draft with only a basic idea of what's going to happen, then learn more and more about the story as they work through the first draft (often having to change plot/character details when turning the first draft into the second)

Outliners start at the beginning of a draft with only a basic idea of what's going to happen, then learn more and more about the story as they work through the outline (often having to change plot/character details when turning the outline into the first draft)

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I've never had the problem of characters hijacking a story, but every writer (and their process) is different.

In the end, you will have to do what's best for the story, to make it the best potential read for your audience. Letting a story run wild based upon your perceived whims of characters and/or unanticipated traits/actions can add elements of surprise and twists and depth, but it can also steer a storyline off course, so that it becomes chaotic and will require extensive editing and revision after the first draft, possibly to the point it cannot be salvaged.

Aardvark and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Has a character ever hijacked my story? Hoo, yes! Meet Elsie: a minor character. Patient, placid, kind, and supportive. A good sense of humour. Definitely a follower, rather quiet, but certainly a good-natured kid.

Then I reached the point where she entered the story: as another character visited her and her family to ask if she would come to the school the woman was starting up. I expected a kind, gracious sort of shy curiosity. What I did not expect was disgust. She was rude to her mother, rude to her prospective headmistress, and complained about the other girls in the school. Turns out she had problems at home, and she wanted me to spend the entire book straightening them out. Forget the twins I had originally planned to write the book about: they could have the sequel. No, this book was going to be about her bullying all the other girls in the school in order to make herself feel better and hide her problems with her self-esteem.

We're doing it Elsie's way now.

4. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Somebody leaked my draft, I see.

EstherMayRose and Trish like this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    My stories are generally character driven. So technically yes.
    As for who runs off with it is up to the reader.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Yeah, I get new ideas as I write, plot twists, character traits, etc. While I do have an outline, I don't discard these ideas because many of them can make the story better. I think it's normal. Sure, some writers might separate the brainstorming and the writing, but I'd imagine the two usually work in tandem.

Sometimes the avalanche of ideas writers get while writing can certainly feel like a character is "hijacking" the story or "writing itself." It's a pretty awesome feeling. :)

Simpson17866 and Trish like this.
  7. Damien Loveshaft

Damien Loveshaft Active Member

Not really, I tend to make a plan and stick to it. I'm pretty rigid as a person overall. I also really lack that sort of connection to my characters a lot of other writer's seem to have.

8. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I do understand the feeling though, I will say that. I'm generally a fairly self-aware and analytical person, and writing was the first time that I felt like the work was driving me instead of the other way around. Writing seems to tap into my subconscious in a way that that nothing else has, and the first few dozen times a character started doing something I'd never even consciously considered it really did feel like they were running amok with no one at the wheel.

Simpson17866, David Lee and Trish like this.
  9. Sandra Powell

Sandra Powell New Member

Now there's a plan!

10. GB reader

GB reader Contributor Contributor

Sofar it happen to me three times. What you say makes me hope it will happen again, I thougt it was mostly a beginners undeveloped writing skills that made it possible.

11. Simpson17866

Nope, I had to work like crazy to develop the writing skill of having this happen!

For example: I've had a few organizations of villain antagonists in mind for my villain protagonists to go up against, but just today, I realized that my protagonists are eventually going to join one of them :D

12. Laurin Kelly

Still happens to me! The only favor experience has given me is the knowledge that it really is me coming up with this stuff, even if it seems to come out of the ether.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  13. GB reader

GB reader Contributor Contributor

I must apologise (hopefully it isn't needed) to @Laurin Kelly . If you read my post you could read it as if I said that's it's her undeveloped writing skills that make her get these fantastic moments. But I was of corse thinking of myself (4 months of writing fiction, 3800 words the longest story I have written). Sorry if you read it like that, if you read it like that.

14. Simpson17866

I don't believe anybody did :)

15. Laurin Kelly

Definitely didn't read it that way. :)

Simpson17866 likes this.
  16. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

Been writing on and off since jr high and have gone through older things. I'd have to say no. I spend the needed time with every important character that I can. Unless of course with the intention of writing/following only one important being. Like the story is about that character and their journey. Usually, these are shorts I've written.

17. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

You don't wanna see my outlines. Some people might flip and think I over did it. I do a basic and then break things up into larger scenes, and then into scenes, with extensive details before I write. It ensures that all plot holes are filled and taken care of before hand so I can focus on writing.
    So one of my first books is broken down into like 35 scenes. Within those scenes, I have 2 parts in some cases. The setting remains similar like tavern, doctors office, or outside in the desert town itself and stays in that main area but differs maybe a little in where it takes place in that setting. Like an overall setting with minor settings for each scene. One scene I developed in detail was in a doctors office and the main point of that scene was to discuss an important problem a character was having.

So I would have in my outline
    Setting:
    Scene Descriptors: Words that describe the setting that I may choose to use.
    Reason for the Scene: Conflict resolution, character development, important dialogue
    Scene:
    In a separate notebook, I've tracked conversations I've had with myself, (People must think I'm insane at times) as I've acted the characters out in my head or out loud. It needs to sound real and believable and dramatic at times. I need to feel completely invested in my dialogue before I decide it's important. And other dialogues all I need is a basic conversion that gives the reader information about the scene. Example: "That's bad. Real bad. You're going to need a doctor to look at that. I can't help you." While it may not be as dramatic it still serves its point. Plot driving! XD

Typically I act things out as different characters in my head before I outline a story. I already know where it's going. Sometimes it's like watching a movie in my head. Maybe one that rewinds now and again when lines sound stupid and need to be redone.

Bill Chester and Simpson17866 like this.
  18. EstherMayRose

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who writes dialogue out loud.

Xboxlover likes this.
  19. Sandra Powell

Sandra Powell New Member

At a creative writing class I attended many years ago, the tutor told me I "got" dialogue. I'd never given it too much thought, it just seems to fall in when I write.

Xboxlover likes this.
  20. EstherMayRose

An English teacher I had told me that my stories had too much dialogue. "You're not writing a play script!" she exclaimed as she pored over my novel, completely disregarding both the action and description, and the idea that this could be a style thing.

She was the only teacher in the entire school I didn't get on with.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  21. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

My one writing professor told me I had a screw loose.

Sandra Powell likes this.
  22. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

One of my college professors failed a paper because I took a conservative stance. The reason I know this: I had another teacher look at the paper and the syllabus, promptly told me to go challenge it with the dean. This teacher was also liberal. XD
    ETA: I guess I struck her a cord, and she didn't like it. XD
    ETA2: The teacher that told me to challenge it, also told me a good writer knows how to take a both sides and challenge them to their core. Arguing both has its merits because life isn't always cut and dry and both sides usually have good points. A good strong argument will use that to their advantage instead of taking one stance and not budging on it. This teacher also told me I should get involved in politics, but I hate politics. XD

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Simpson17866 likes this.
  23. Simpson17866

Did they think that was an insult? :confused:

24. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Naw, I'm pretty sure she was wasted for most of the semester. Three cheers for tenure!

Simpson17866 likes this.
  25. Simpson17866

She'd have to have been wasted to think that having a few screws loose is a bad thing!