1. The Elder One

The Elder One Member

Were women allowed these things in the 1960s?

Discussion in 'Research' started by The Elder One, Sep 13, 2016.

Playing golf.
    Driving in Lebanon(very specific I know)

My novel has both these things going on and I wanted to make aure it's historically accurate.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

What country would they be playing golf in?

Edited to add: But in the US or UK, yes, certainly, the golf would be fine.

3. The Elder One

The Elder One Member

Lebanon as well as Israel(driving in Israel too).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  4. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

http://www.sportstardom.com/the-10-greatest-female-golfers-of-all-time/

- you need go no further than #9, but there are others! <smile> I'm pretty sure I saw some Cary Grant or Rock Hudson or somebody-or-other black-and-white movie aeons ago where women were playing golf.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Were they playing in Lebanon? (See post #3)

6. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Lebanon in the 1960s was the Paris of the Arab world, center of Middle East banking and very progressive and modern in outlook.

matwoolf likes this.
  7. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Lebanon was also a very peaceful community then, equally split between Shiite, Sunnis and Christians, as well as lesser sects like Druze, that got along well and often intermarried. They had a lot of animosity toward Israel the state, but not, to my knowledge, toward Jews individually. Though I suspect that any Jews living there would have been suspected of being part of Israeli intelligence. That happy state continued until the civil war began in the late 1970s. Then it got ugly fast. I believe the Palestinians under Arafat had a big hand in upsetting that apple cart.

As to what women were allowed to do in the 1960s, mostly it was particular clubs and associations that might have been male-only. Not being a golfer 9the only game more boring than baseball) I didn't follow women in that sport. I know in the 1960s there were quite a few active sports for women beginning at the HS level, usually swimming, softball and basketball. Professionally, they encountered some opposition at the individual level, but not outright barring. They were doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc.

Touch base with women who were 30 then (now in their 70s and 80s) for their individual experiences. Write from their POV, not 2016 stereotypes about what modern kids think the 60s were like.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Although women would almost certainly be allowed to play golf in the 60s, a more pertinent question is would they have played in mixed matches (bearing in mind that a few places in the uk still frown on this today)

9. Amy Brahams

Amy Brahams New Member

This is exactly what I was thinking

10. The Elder One

The Elder One Member

Nothing on the driving folks? Lebanon is fairly westernized so I think it shouldn't be a problem, but something inside me wants to make sure...

11. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The prohibition on women driving is unique to Saudi Arabia. It's not an Arab, Persian, or Muslim thing.
    Women to drive movement
    There is a lot of information you should find useful in this Wiki entry, Women in Lebanon

For example:

12. tropicanahana

tropicanahana Member

This is a Lebanese car show website, that states the first woman to receive a driver's license was in 1921: http://www.aialiban.org/Story