Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altra

altra Banned

Other Project Does anybody want to collab on mafia

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by altra, Aug 8, 2022.

I have an idea for a mob movie that I think can be fun to develop. I would need help from somebody with an interest in mob history. This would be a script not a book

2. altra

altra Banned

sense of humor would be important as well

3. altra

altra Banned

So just an update what I want to do with the mob movie is third on my list of projects…
    but I would love to collab if there is an open minded person who wouldn’t mind doing the bulk of the writing

positivity
    Brain storming
    Sense of humor
    Open minded

4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Are you proposing to propose an idea to someone, have them do the research and writing, then claim credit for the project because the original seed was your idea?

Set2Stun and Lili.A.Pemberton like this.
  5. altra

altra Banned

No, but thanks for your contribution

6. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Oh, the "mob movie" is only third on your list of current projects? Wow, I better convince you that it should be first on your list, based on my expertise as an open-minded, positive writer, who has a sense of humour and is capable of brainstorming.
    All I need to do is the bulk of the writing? That's awesome. Do you also require funding via gift cards or Bitcoin? Cause I am for sure on board. Just let me know.

7. altra

altra Banned

Yeah eventually it will be first but I have struggled with not completing writing to a completion. In the middle of something I will get an idea for something else and want to give up on the old stuff and start something new. This is a bad habit for me. But it is not just an idea, I have an outline. But I need specific expertise. I have enough to build a complete story. But of course I don't have any contacts which is why like so many I resolve to going to a message board. I think its understood there will be a barrage of negative contributors and sarcastic senior members. But the lesson is we don't give up. It only takes one right person, to move forward.

8. Catriona Grace

I wasn't being sarcastic, though my question was certainly touched with incredulity. You might be surprised how often writers are approached by someone who says, "Hey, I've got a great idea for a (story/screenplay/how-to book/fill in the blank.) Got the whole thing outlined; all you have to do is put it into the right words." The standard answer is, "No, thank you." Most writers have more ideas and outlines of their own than they can ever bring to fruition.

No need to give up your project, but you might ought to rethink your paradigm. You're seeking someone with writing skills and specific historical expertise to produce a screenplay based on an idea for a mob movie. An outline is fine, but essentially it's an idea in longform. What incentive can you offer that will convince another person to turn your outline into a screenplay?

9. altra

altra Banned

Thanks for the response, although I was worried this post would just lead me down a rabbit hole of defending what I wrote, amongst those who have no interest at all. I think you were being very kind in your last post and I appreciate that. But honestly I look at it a different way. I have NEVER been approached by anyone who says hey I have a great idea for a story do you want to discuss it. And that would never be a nuisance if it did happen. Now if you are an established or known writer, I can see that happening. I am not that nor are the vast majority of those who would be on this board.
    Think about what it takes to actually write a screen play. When I say lets get together and collaborate... It is weeks before anybody would write anything. I have an outline. It would be weeks discussing the arch of the characters and agreeing upon what the story will be.
    I'm assuming everybody here has a job. So this is spare time stuff. Finally starting to write would be way down the road.
    Everybody starts way down low right? And I'm starting right here on this message board. Sarcasm and negativity will be part of the deal. All I need is one person who is looking for the same thing I am. Then I'm good to go.
    I get it the standard answer will be no. Why would anybody want to team up with some stranger who has essentially accomplished nothing in the field and create something?
    What I'm doing is changing my life and becoming a writer. Nobody I know is interested in writing. So what is there to do to meet those with similar interests? You have to go to a message board. Then you have to navigate thru all the "no" people and find one to say "yes"

I have no incentive to offer other than that there might be somebody out there with no experience interested in the same thing, where we can help one another. If nobody steps up, I can do it alone. But I can't immerse in it yet.

I feel like it sounds arrogant to say "this is my third project." I get that. That's where the unfortunate other comment comes from. And there will be more. But what producer or show runner out there is not handling multiple ideas? It happens constantly. But beyond that, if I want to make some kind of a second career out of fiction I BETTER have more than one idea, I need to have 10 things going because this is the age of content. We are in a content producing phase of the business now the days of laboring over something for 2 years is over.
    So ALL I'm doing is trying to develop this idea and get things in place before I can devote to it completely, needing to finish my other stuff first.

I think the mob movie thing will bring out nay sayers also. I mean who the hell other than one director is having success with mob movies. But I love the genre, so I'm gonna do it anyway. That's why I didn't reveal the plot cause I know thats going to bring this into an ever further worm hole where I'm bumped to the top of the page every hour with advice on how to better state what I'm looking for. Just a pm from anybody interested would be fine.

10. Catriona Grace

I wish you the very best of luck, altra. Hang in there!

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Collaboration generally implies two writers working together on a project... just having an idea and looking for someone else to write it for you isn't a collaboration, that falls into the realms of ghost writers (who it is usual to pay) which is outwith the aims of this forum.

Writers generally have their own ideas, so the number of people willing to take on your idea and surrender a portion of the creative control, is going to be pretty few, especially when its not clear what you bring to the party apart from "an idea for a mob movie".

I'd suggest you'd get better responses by

a) spelling out in a few sentences what the idea is, eg "bob is a dirty cop who owes money to vinnie da nose. he has a week to get the money or vinnie's people will go to his bosses, recruiting a team of minor criminals he knows from the streets bob sets out to steal the mona lisa"

b) outlining what it is you bring to this collaboration "I have a wealth of research, first person interviews with cops, criminals, art historians, and people called bob... however i am generally a novelist and need help turning the plot into a script"

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  12. altra

altra Banned

This is the message board worm hole. You post something asking for a specific need. The responses come in from those who are uninterested in what the need is and just interested in giving advice. It would be great if a moderator could just take the thread down which I have asked for, but it isn't happening.
    How can I say this will all due respect, so that it comes out as respectful as possible. The advice is unsolicited. Sarcasm doesn't help either.
    To me, either I am interested in the post or I'm gone. What's with all the conversation?

If you aren't in agreement with the type of movie, the way that I ask, what my experience level is, why not just move on?

This is the worm hole. Let's say I make an adjustment to appease the first commentor who doesn't even care about my project anwyay, then somebody else is gonna step up and bring it down. And so on.

It would be great if this thread could hang out around the bottom of the page and maybe somebody new will come along in 6 months who is interested.

Then they will message me, we will talk, and go from there. Why's that so wrong?

My list of attributes? If my name was JJ Abrams and not altra you would be calling it brilliant. And by the way if you were "collabing," it exactly the same thing you would be looking for.

If I find somebody great, if not then I'll figure it out. This is not that complicated.

13. altra

altra Banned

And then you have people liking everything put out that's against me and when I take the time to thoroughly respond, zero likes... Kind of a ganging up situation.. one that the person who made the post never wins by the way. I'm sure this response will cause yet another spinoff that's going to waste the time of all involved. The worm hole gets deeper

14. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Let me save everyone some time with.

:closed:

Catrin Lewis and Xoic like this.
  15. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Also just so we’re all clear- this here is a forum. When you post a thread you are inviting conversation about whatever the thread is on.

Don’t want people to reply? Don’t post.

Also this here is the collaboration board, it’s for writers who want to collaborate with other writers. It is not for people who have an idea and want someone else to write it for them.

lastly if you are new to any community, people need to get to know you before they are willing to collaborate on a project. If you are unable or unwilling to have a civilised conversation about your project and take offence at the drop of a hat, it doesn’t bode well.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

And for the record the OP was banned for behavior in PMs with the mod team... not for anything contained in this thread. We don't normally discuss bannings, but we wouldn't want anyone to draw the wrong conclusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.