1. Abigail

Abigail Member

The Night Circus

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Abigail, May 27, 2012.

Has anyone here read the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern? What were your thoughts on it?

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I liked it a lot. Not a whole lot in the way of substance, but I loved the magical airy quality of it, the sensory descriptions in particular. I could see Le Cirque de Reves so clearly in my mind.

3. SparkIdeaRevelation

SparkIdeaRevelation New Member

I have! I'm a sucker for stories from that time period and really enjoyed it. It has a very interesting way of looking at magic that is pretty surreal. Highly recommend it.

4. Zommie

Zommie New Member

It was nice...that's all I can really say about it. The only thing that really stood out was the high quality of the many descriptive passages throughout the book, particularly the ones describing the new rooms added to the circus, but not much in the way of story.

Well it wasn't actually that the story itself was bad per say, but the heavy focus on description threw any modicum of pace out the window and it began to drag a lot about halfway through.

5. Abigail

Abigail Member

I almost see it as the book I would want to have written. I love everything about it, but I can also see where some of your more negative opinions are coming from. It is one of my favorite books for sure.