1. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Does anyone one else do this?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by John-Wayne, Oct 15, 2017.

Well, here is my first attempted at a thread on WF. :p

One of the things I find myself doing, and enjoy doing is writing short stories where my Characters from Different points in time, alternate dimensions or Alt-Timelines, who normally could never meet are brought together to interact.

For Instance, the current Story i'm working on, the MC, King Richard, who is a far cry from his original version when I wrote the "Rough" years ago. So I wrote a short story where the two meet up in the Ether (A place between Heaven and the Physical Realm). Summoned by the Guardian of the Planet, where my stories take place in. I found the Short story to be rather amusing and I found that the current version of Richard is sort of a smart ass compared to his more regal and plain counter part. Also between to the two of them, a lot of world building had taken place along with concepts, religion, etc. by the time of the Newer Richard. So that also played into the meeting between them.

I also did an encounter for Richard's wife, Melissa, who in the Alt-Timeline doesn't marry Richard but goes along with the forced marriage and clearly takes a different route in life. I have the two ladies meet up along with the "Rough" Melissa, and that encounter was pretty amusing to me as well.

But, the Question I have is: does anyone else do this as well?

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Yes! I've got one on the go at the mo. A short story: girl finds a looking glass, it shows nothing for most of the time, all that's framed by the bezel is opaque and seemingly voided. Point it at the right object (or in the right place) though and you get view how it appeared 500 years ago. It's basically got some serious lag going on. The story's about the girl's ingenuity in getting around it's restrictive offering and forging/forcing interactions with the past.

Is your story loose with the history, or are you researching to up the veracity of the content?

John-Wayne likes this.
  3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I do this kind of thing absolutely shamelessly :D The common term for it in fandomy spaces is au - alternate universe, not gold - and that's what I've adopted. I like tossing my sci-fi cast into real life settings and seeing how I can re-imagine their weird and fairly sf-shenanigan-based lives into something that could actually exist. I also 'introduced' the lead of my sf project to a lead from another project, and I liked their dynamic so much that I had to make an expy of the sf guy (stripped of sf content) to live in the other project. Another time I got so infatuated with an au that I decided to tweak some things and just make it its own project, which has since deviated from the original so much that they're irreconcilable.

John-Wayne likes this.
  4. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Interesting, might be a fun short to read. :) . As for the second part, i'm not fully sure what you mean, but most of these are mostly just writing exercises for me, but if there is anything I learn from the interaction i'll implement it into the actual stories. Clearly I don't have to worry about the rough or Alt-Timeline Characters, it would be solely for the purpose of the MC. Which Ironically, the Guardian, Maximus eludes to when they ask "What is the purpose of this" But for the most part doesn't have any barring on the world the stories exists in or the story lines. Though in some instances, the MC may mention a strange dream in regards to Alt-Timelines.

MC Richard was deeply amused by the encounter and even picks on the Rough Richard's outdated attire and the lack of progress in the Nation they rule .

Interesting,

"Self-Fandomy" :p . A fanfic of my own work. LOL, I like it.

When it comes to Real Life, it's usually when I play music, I can envision them dancing to it, and I will sometimes place them in different parts of the timeline of the World they live on to see how they would interact or what they think of the progress of their planet. Other than the normal time line, where I do have five MCs (Or leads) meet up, but they are suppose to according to the planet's time line where they found the concept of the Reformation and become known as the founders. Outside of that, I haven't really had MCs interact, with each other though some in more advanced points of the timeline will mention MCs from the past and even be decedents of them.

King Richard for instances is a decedent of all the five MCs who are the Founders along with another MC who is suppose to be an important Icon.

As for the AU, I did right a few of those, and one of them became Legend for the main timeline.