Tags:
  1. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

A tip on editing your book

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by LadyErica, Dec 9, 2018.

Not quite sure where to put this, so I'll put it here. Hope that's ok. But as a writer, I often have to edit my books, make notes, spell check and all that. It can be tedious at best. Fortuantely, I found a great way of doing it. All you need is a Kindle reader, and a program to create eBooks that Kindle can read. I use Hamster Free eBook Converter myself, as it's free, and gets the job done quickly and easily.

Now, with my new eBook ready, I can load it up on the Kindle device and read it as a normal book. But the best part is it's easy enough to highlight words and sentences while I read it, then bookmark the pages. Then, when I've finished reading the book, I can simply check all the bookmarks one after another, and immediately see all the stuff I highlighted. It makes spellchecking and editing a lot easier than doing it manually in MS Word, or programs like that. Printing it out in paper works too, but that takes some time, and will cost you a bit if you do it regulary. But converting the manuscript to an eBook and putting it on a Kindle device takes a few minutes, and is free. Other than the Kindle reader itself, of course.

Shenanigator likes this.
  2. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

I work in MS Word until the chapter is ready for distilling and refining. But then, for some reason, I like to see the words as if on the page of a real book and I import the Word doc into Adobe InDesign. Perhaps it's because I'm an artist first and a writer second that I need the warmth of a real book to make the magic happen. I'm guessing it's not only a matter of convenience that you edit on a Kindle, but it's also a more attractive environment than the cold, workmanlike interface of Word.

Below, is InDesign at it's artsy best. Not to mention that InDesign blows away Word when it comes to typography and formatting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Shenanigator likes this.
  3. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Whoa! Tumblr-unfriendly image alert!

4. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

By putting the book on the Kindle, it reads just like a "real book", and yes, it's convenient to be able to read it anywhere. But it's also nice to get some distance from the computer. I can't edit the book directly, so it feels more like I'm reading a finished book, than a manuscript I'm still working on. Especially if I put on the Kindle, then leave it untouched a few weeks.

Shenanigator likes this.