Does anyone work on many projects at once?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ferret, Jun 18, 2007.

1. L'Apprentie

L'Apprentie New Member

Do you never feel ideas overlapping or going in all directions? I feel overwhelmed by the number of ideas in mind but which have to wait till I get time to focus on each one of them one by one...

2. L'Apprentie

L'Apprentie New Member

That feels familiar, Joanna. I feel my stories awaiting to be written as staring at my apparent laziness to handle them.lol

3. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Same here... the most work ive done recently is 3 poems based on my fantasy universe... it's only 2 pages....

4. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Currently I am world building (working out the imaginary physics) for one project, and actively writing the other. I cannot activly write two though, too much differing imaginations.

5. Saul-hudson

Saul-hudson New Member

I always seem to have multiple projects. I have the short story, which I use to kick-start my muse in the morning (I always find a story from somewhere the night before and play around with it in my head before I commit it to paper), and from, say, 9am onwards I begin my novel. Sometimes, a place or character will pop out at me from my novel and demand to have it's own story told, in which case I jot down the name and details in my little black book and do something with them once I'm done with the daily word count.

Stories come from everywhere, and sometimes they demand to be told. Sometimes you can't ignore them.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i often work on a dozen or more projects of various sizes, concurrently...

nope!... they stay where i put them...

7. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I only write one thing at a time. If I let my A.D.D. get the best of me I will never get anything done, haha.

8. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Lol, same.

9. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I write short stories or poems normally in one sitting.

For anything longer, one at a time works better for me.

10. juniorfletcher

juniorfletcher New Member

i use brown accordion folders to hold my work....currently i have 6 projects going, all at various stages.....i prefer to write down ideas as they come to me rather than lose them....i can always work on them later.

11. Blood'N'Shadow

Blood'N'Shadow New Member

I'm writing my novel (it's been already six years, but I'm finishing it), I'm writing my demo (instrumental, lyrics, recording, equalizing and all that), finishing my poetry book (to publish someday), and beginning my first draft for the manga I've planned to draw (for years but never had the time except now). So yeah, you can do many projects at the same time. Just always remember to finish them and not leave them uncompleted. Have a nice day!

12. L'Apprentie

L'Apprentie New Member

Wow! Thank you so much all of you. That was great to have so much of insights. I love this sight and I love you people for being so nice as to share your experiences :) Thank you.

13. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

I would LOVE to be able to work on more than one project at a time, but I fear that I might get so interested in one project that I neglect the others.

14. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

This is me as well. Sometimes I go for a while without working on anything, sometimes I just work on one thing. Usually I have ideas in my head for multiple things. Right now I want to write a more true-to-the-novel adaptation of Jurassic Park, just for fun, I have an idea for an original screenplay I want to write, I have my novel I'm almost finished, I have video games I want to write, and buildings I want to design.
    I do all different kinds of creative stuff. Writing just happens to be my strongest suit, but I love design of all types.

15. Stig

Stig New Member

I have 2 unfinished stories going on 1 unfinished and basically abandoned story (all in finnish except for 1st part of one story which I also have in english). I also have an idea + 3 pages of plans for a fanfiction story.

I just hope I get something also finished, but I'll have marticulation examinations (6) in 2.5 months, entrance exams in the beginning of June and atleast 6 month military servise starting in July.

16. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I usually have two or three projects going at once, almost literally at once. I open up the story documents and then I switch back and forth between them for a while, but it usually ends up with one of the stories getting the main attention during a sitting.

17. L'Apprentie

L'Apprentie New Member

I would love to do that as well! I feel that I am running out of time. But my fear is that while juggling with 2-3 at hand I might never finish any one of them adequately enough!

18. FirstTimeNovelist91

FirstTimeNovelist91 New Member

Do you have a limit on how many projects you work on? I have two novels I am writing, but I want to start a third. Not sure if that would be too much, but I was wondering about other people and their preferences.

How many projects are you working on atm?

19. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I'm currently working on one out of the two I have. I only like to concentrate on one at a time. Completing one first draft of a novel is already stressful for me lol two might destroy my mind xD.

20. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

I've finished one novel, and it's sitting, resting for me to edit in a couple weeks. The fill in the time, I'm working on the sequel.

21. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

One novel and one article.

22. Bell City Fires

Bell City Fires New Member

Comic scripts, film script and a novel.

23. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'm experimenting with doing one story at a time. I now have a backlog of stuff not being worked on. Sigh.

24. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Unfortunately that's how it works...trying to write two at the same time means doing neither well. Since none of us have the time like David Weber or Stephen King to write all day, projects get backed up. I have a novella forming in my head to fill in at least one gap between Phoenix Rising and the unnamed sequel I'm working on.

25. vVvRapture

vVvRapture New Member

I'm always coming up with ideas, but most of them get cast out. However, I've made progress with many so I consider them "projects". Right now, I'd say I'm in the middle of half a dozen projects, none of them close to finishing. I plan to focus solely on one of them, however, which is a 1-hour TV pilot.