1. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

Do you "Night Write"

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Allan Paas, Mar 9, 2012.

Although I haven't done much creative writing myself, yet, my mind seems to work a little differently come nighttime. Thoughts seem to present themselves more easily. On a few occasions, in bed, I came up with something too good to chance its oblivion, so I got out and wrote it down.
    I don't particularly like being up late, I'd rather have a good rest than an exhausted 'feeling' the next day, but I guess there's not much of a choice there. I just hope it will change and not go so late once I get to actual writing.

2. jg22

jg22 Member

Hello, Allan Paas. I'm in a similar situation to you. I've recently started drafting my first (and perhaps only) novel, and for some reason I am much more productive at night. Perhaps because at night there are fewer distractions and commitments, so my mind is free to bask in creativity instead. I've had a spree of waking up early in the morning, which in turn means I get tired in the early evening, so I'm not as productive as I can be. I also get all of my best ideas lying in bed at night; and yes, always get out of bed to write down your ideas if they are bursting to get out! Depending on your living situation, and depending on the level of priority you give to your writing, it may be necessary to adjust your daily routine to allow you to work at nights instead, thus ensuring optimal creativity. Seems to be the way I'm going, atleast.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Yes! :)

4. Metus

Metus New Member

I prefer to write when everyone else is asleep. It seems easier to be creative and more focused without people around. So yeah, I suppose that means I night write.

5. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Nighttime used to be the only time I could write. Things were much clearer and easier to put down on the page or in a word doc. But with school and work, I have less time to stay up late :p

6. Blue Night

Blue Night Active Member

I have a fondness of night.
    But I write when something hits me.
    Morning, afternoon, evening.
    It doesn't matter.

7. DaVinci

DaVinci Banned

Not before bed, then I have weird dreams.

8. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Active Member

I 'go places' in my story at night sometimes. I tend to memorize the better occurrences and then add them to my story when I do write. I like to set aside specific time for writing when I know that I won't be disturbed.

9. K. A. Solo

K. A. Solo New Member

Always! There are no interruptions, my time is my own, and my thoughts are clearer.

10. akexodia

akexodia Member

YES!! Always. I just love grabbing a cuppa coffee or some juice at night and put my mind to work. Night time provides some great ideas.

11. Cosmic Latte

Cosmic Latte New Member

Think about it: what else are you doing at night for your mind to be at work at? Creative ideas have fewer competition when we're not focusing elsewhere, but why inspiration doesn't necessarily hit in the middle of a Saturday afternoon I don't know. I don't write at night because I'm either too exhausted or too wound up, but that's just my busy schedule right now. My ideas usually hit me while I'm driving to work or when I'm doing some routine task at work that doesn't require much right-brain thought.
    That's great that you're motivated to jot down your thoughts when they come, even though it's at night. Writing gets easier the more you do it. Finding a set time each day, during the day, may help also in training your mind and your habits to be more productive in writing in the day time. But then again, if you continue to find that you are blessed with having a night owl for a muse, then it might be best to make peace with it and just keep on writing at night.

12. Cosmic Latte

Cosmic Latte New Member

Hmm. Maybe I meant left-brain. Let's just use this as evidence why I no longer try writing at night. There comes a point where one must succumb to being over-tired...

13. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I used to, but I had to stop when I started a new job that required me to get up at 5am a couple of mornings a week. I feel the same way, thoughts seem clearer and I have the same experience about ideas at bed time, especially when I'm in the first draft or even outline stage. So yes, and I liked it. I always feel more creative at night.

14. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

I have to get up at 5am for work every morning, but I'm still up most nights past 1am, sometimes as late as 3am (like last night) writing or thinking about writing. It kinda kills me by the end of the week so I have to have a massive lie in on saturday morning, and my monthly spend at the coffee shop next to my office is horrendous, but I just don't know how NOT to stay up and write :D

15. Tesoro

Good for you, I know what you mean, but in my case the passion for sleeping is just as strong as the passion for writing. :D besides, If I don't go to bed, how will I get all those great half-awake-ideas or come up with the solutions that only reveal themselves to me when I put my head on the pillow? :)

16. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Well, I love my bed when I'm asleep in it, but for some reason I seem to have a phobia of actually going there in the first place. Ever since I was a tot I've been a bedtime procrastinator, putting off going to bed until I physically cannot stay awake any longer - these days I often just pass out in my desk chair, then wake up after a little nap and get going again.

I still get those as well - it'll be 4am, I need to be up at 5am and I've just decided to get in a power nap. I lie down on my bed, and.... AAARGH!! Inspiration strikes, time to fire up the netbook again...

17. Tesoro

I KNOW, Haha! I go to sleep because I have to, but when I get there I think "ahh, why didn't I think of this earlier? Sleeping is nice!" :D I guess I just don't want to waste precious writing time but have a little of both.

I'm more tired in the mornings than in the evening, which makes it hard to motivate oneself to go to bed, but if I don't, I'll regret that in the morning.

18. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

I think we might be sleep twins :D

I am soooo tired in the mornings, it's hard to stay awake at work sometimes, but when it gets to the evenings my brain is just like... boing! 'No no no, I don't want to go to sleep, there's too much stuff to look at! Oooh, there's some stuff on the internet I HAVEN'T READ YET!!!'

:D

19. Tesoro

exactly!!! :D

20. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Yeh I prefer to night write too! The best ideas always either come while going to bed or while in the shower...Plus it may have something to do with the fact that it's nice and peacful at night!

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i often do, have done since it i first started writing seriously... but i don't get up, i just keep paper and pen next to [or on!] the bed, so i can jot down whatever comes to me in the middle of the night and then deal with it when i get up and get to my computer...

22. Tesoro

My bedside notebook actually have its own pillow in my bed, :D

23. Erato

Erato New Member

Never tried it. Heh. But I like to get up early and have the whole house to myself when I write. I would night write if it didn't wake people up.

24. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I should try that sometime. It could be the last thing I do before bed, when everyone else has retired for the night.

25. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

*nodes in total agreement*

Showers are excellent for ideas and so is the darkness and quietness of the night. :D