Does Fantasy have rules?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by ChickenFreak, Nov 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But this isn’t a reality simulation. It’s a story. An incredibly powerful being behaving honorably is a large part of the point.

18-Till-I-Die and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. 18-Till-I-Die

18-Till-I-Die Banned

Ok fine, i can concede that the actual theme is "he's powerful but good at heart", honestly I've done this before in a story. So point taken. But the "transporter range cant change at random" point is still valid, I believe.

3. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Just jumping in here for a split second: I don't know if it's self evident that an alien brain would have no concept of morality, or process it any differently than humans do. Morality isn't a human construct--it's a biological one. The idea that it's better to cooperate than go it alone is a fundamental part of social animals--and Kryptonians--based on humans--are certainly social creatures! I'd wager that a better argument could be made for a more advanced, more intelligent being being being hyper compassionate, rather than ruling the earth with an iron fist.

4. jim onion

jim onion New Member

5. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

Well, I see this as, "Yeah, fantasy needs to be logically consistent", which is true for grown-ups, MOST of the time. But I DO acknowledge that I can suspend that rule if the story is good enough!

For instance, I saw many inconsistencies in Wen Spencer's "A Brother's Price", they didn't affect my enjoyment of the story very much, it was a good story. But when I listed the inconsistencies in a review, people assumed I was attacking the book. So I know from experience, that people are willing to suspend the requirement of logical consistency for either a good story (or to make a cultural/political point)!