1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

Does her change in personality make sense?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheDarkWriter, Jun 8, 2018.

So this character I'm working on is a former super villain. She used to be very evil and a completely sociopath. Basically what happened was she went through a freak lab accident and it turned her back into a kid and she lost her memories she ended up with a good family and her memories (around the time she grew back into an adult) started to come back but she instead of going back to being evil became a good person.

The idea is that not just her body but her mind all got a complete reset and that even she after getting her memories back was permanently changed by the experience.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

It makes reasonable sense to me. It does, IMO, assume that her previous nature was a nurture rather than a nature thing--at least in the sense that she was deprived of the nurturing that would allow her to develop into a good person, even if you decide that her brain might lean toward negative behavior. (Orphan Black, for example, seems to quietly assume that the clones are extra inclined to certain mental issues, but the ones who were raised and socialized by decent people usually lean good, while the ones who were raised and socialized by sociopaths/psychopaths are a wild card.)

3. Bradley Parr

Bradley Parr Member

It makes sense, kids are usually more receptive to surroundings.

Depends how you are wanting to follow it really.

4. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Hey there DarkWriter! This one is a bit tough, because to some degree, things like sociopathy are part of the mind, not just a result of surroundings. I'm no rocket surgeon (lol), but its entirely possible that even if she was raised in a good, loving home, if she's an actual sociopath, no amount of love and care will fix what I can only presume is a chemical imbalance.