3. The story is ok, but it needs work.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't think this is a good story.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MackenzieGirl

MackenzieGirl Banned

Does my fantasy novel have a good plot!?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by MackenzieGirl, Jun 19, 2018.

Hi, so I am in the process of writing a fantasy novel. I am not sure that my story line is all that great, I am very open to constructive criticism, so if you have some criticism for it. I am vary open to hearing it. Warning this is a rather long post.

A Bit of Important Background:

My story involves a number of different races, elves, fairys, humans, nature spirits and others. But the main focus is on the elves and fairys. The to are at war over a very stupid thing (at least to me). The elf prince fell in love with the fairy princesses, and the two ran away together. They had a daughter, when she was 3 The family was killed in a car crash. And the elves and fairys started a war. That has been going on for 13 years, when my book takes place.

Ok the Characters:

Oakleaf (Oak), a fairly living in the New York City underworld. Oak is the adopted son of the Fairy Queen's dead brother, he was a great commander in the fairy arms. He was captured by 'The Red Queen' (a name for the elf princess). She had him torchered for information, when he didn't break she had his wings cut off. He still refused to give her information, and was able to escape. He is now hiding out in the place where the human and magician worlds come together. (Oak has been in the human world for 3 years.) Oak is a constant worry of his friends, his mental state is about as stabul as a glass balance on the edge of a cliff. He suffers from bad depression and PTSD, he is not coping with his problems in a healthy way, drugs, self harm and is on the brink of suicide. Basically he is one vary mest up fairy.

Namaryel, a 'human' 16 year old, who lives with her godmother and her godmother's family. She meets Oak when her grandfather sines her up for sworedsworedm lessons. (Oak techies that kind of thing for a living) she is truly the supposed dead daughter of the elf/fairy couple that started the war. Oak takes one look at her, and fevers it out. (She looks like her parents.) She becomes a good student of Oak's, he also teaches her magic. Which is a very good thing, because it saves Oak's life. She is the first to relies how mest up her truly is. At the same time, Namaryel strugglees with her own identified, including the fact that she is gay. She becomes a sorcerers, and is able to end the war.

Willow, the nature spirit who found and,cared for Oak after her escaped. She keeps an eye on him, she like most how know Oak, is wored about his mental state, but doesn't relies how bad it rily is. Oak also teaches/babysits her half spirit half fairy niece and nephew.The

Other characters do aper, Aspen and Apple, Willow's niece and nephew. As well as a number of other magical and not magical people appear.

The Story:
    A lot of it was stated above, the fairy/elf war, how Namaryel and Oak work in to things, and the fact that Namaryel ends the war. I guess the big story lines are: 1, the fairy/elf war, how it started and how it ends. 2, The private struggles of both Oak and Namaryel. Oak with depression, PTSD, drugs, self harm and thoughts of suicide. Namaryel with the idea that she is not human any more, and that she is the princess of two different races. As well as her sexual preferences, how it will affect her life.

I am sorry this took so long, and I thank you for staying with me this fare. I am looking forward to hearing your views. On a last note, my fairys are simply humans with wings, they are the same high as we are.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Looks okay to me. If you haven’t started writing it already get to it. You’ll probably find different ideas to add to the backbone of the plot as you go along.

Enjoy :)

3. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

It looks really interesting. :)

4. awkwarddragon

awkwarddragon Member

It's been said many times, but for a novel or story to have a good plot, it all boils down to execution. My two cents.

Beloved of Assur and Dracon like this.
  5. cfalnevermore

cfalnevermore Member

sounds interesting! Best of luck to you on the work. I really like the idea of elves and fairies!
    ds