Tags:
  1. cherrya

cherrya Active Member

Does this makes sense?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by cherrya, Mar 31, 2019.

I'm just not sure about the use of the word 'variant'. English is not my first language.

"One may find it to bear variants of a very serious play indeed". ​

I looked up the definition of the word and it kinda feels like it could apply to this particular situation? I'm trying to say that although this is wildly known as a comedy (which it is), it still has serious elements to it. I'm trying to keep the structure as it is because of the flow of the sentence.

PS: I'm talking about The Importance of Being Earnest and how it's presented as a comedy but talks about serious stuff (even if it's done with humour, my character is a teacher and he's trying to get them to look at the serious stuff because it's relatively hard to find).

2. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

I don't think "variants" is what you want. To me, it seems like characteristics, qualities, elements, features, hallmarks, undercurrents, or the like might be what you want.

I've hyperlinked some of the above words to their definitions for your convenience.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm more concerned about the use of "bear". It's probably technically correct, but I had to read it twice, and I still stumble over it. "present variants", "display variants", "contain variants"?

4. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Not sure that works regarding an analysis of The Importance of Being Earnest.
    "bears undercurrents of a very serious play indeed" does, I think. Or maybe "bears elements."

5. cherrya

cherrya Active Member

Thanks guys!