1. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

Does this plan sound logical?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Phoenix Hikari, Mar 5, 2013.

Please check the picture to understand what I am asking. car yard.jpg

As you see, this is a car yard for selling cars, it has no roof but the walls surrounding it are enhanced with anti-theft cautions. They have an electric current that's activated when the Yard is locked at night, at the top there are also thorn fences (don't know if that's the correct name). My protagonist wants to blow up this yard, however he has the main door's key and can enter without having to worry about the walls. however, the yard owner knows that the key might be picked up by a thief and has placed some alarm system on the door. The guard-he's there as long as the yard is locked- has to push a button on the side of his room's door before anyone can push the main door open. If someone tries the keys and opens the door without that button being pushed, an alarm will sound and a bared door with rise to block their way.

My protagonist knows about these alarm systems, he's been spying on the work. he plans to use the key to open the main door and then hit the button with some kind of weapon (you know the Y shaped thing, I forgot it's name), this will allow him to enter. He brought a piece of meat, knowing that the dog is not an officially trained one, this should work to bribe him. the guard will be overpowered by the other two assistance who came with my protagonists, he's just an old man.

my protagonist will then proceed to spread fuel in the empty spaces, stuffing cloths in the gas container of each car and lightening them with a lighter before he lights up the whole yard and escapes, locking the door behind him so as to leave no evidence.

Does this sound logical? I seriously need help. :/

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Sounds logical enough to me. The only thing which felt a bit cliche was the piece of meat for the dog. It may well work in real life, but to me it gave off a comic-book type feel. Maybe this is a funny book, or it makes sense to have the meat. If so, go with it. If it's meant to be a serious story, however, I suggest something more 'realistic'. Maybe one of the assistants can set up a machine that gives off a sound only the dog can hear, and the dog runs to it whilst the protgonist and the two men do what they need to do? Just a suggestion.

Hope I helped. :)

P.S. I love your floor plan. I need to do this myself. :D

3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Based on your plan, how is he going to hit the button with a slingshot from that angle? Also, what kind of button is it? Is it a switch? What if he misses? It seems a bit risky. If he misses would the dog start barking? Does it even matter if the dog starts barking if the old man can be overpowered? This is the part of the plan I don't find very convincing.

And I like the idea above about the high-pitched sound to supress / distract the dog.

4. Phoenix Hikari

My protagonist is not a normal boy, he can enhance his vision and balance his arms very accurately and it's a switch, if it goes down once then it's turned off entirely until it's turned back up. I like the dog machine thing too, they can get their hands on this as they are a gang of thieves. Does killing the dog sound too violent? or maybe they can hit him with a drug?
    The dog will not bark, he's an old dog and seriously untrained. Hitting the switch is a plot necessity as this will uncover for my protagonist that he has special abilities.

5. Mot

Mot New Member

I think you need to club the dog. Even untrained dogs can guard property quite fiercely, particularly if it's a breed designed to do so (and I can't believe your car dealership owner would put a pug on guard duty). A steak might not be sufficient to distract him. Big dogs can chow down large steaks in seconds, too. My neighbour's retriever for instance stole one off a barbeque managed to finish it in less than ten seconds, in spite of it being hot.

You also need to neutralise the guard before attempting to enter, or else he'll just call the police. Distracting him might be a good idea. Have a pregnant woman scream for help outside and then get rid of him as soon as he leaves the safety of the guard booth. Thus leaving the characters to press the button/etc.

EDIT: By Thorn fencing, do you mean barbed wire?

6. iolair

iolair Active Member

Why does he need to get in? He can do what he needs to over the fence without having to enter the yard at all. He could hose petrol or another flammable liquid over the wall, then throw in a molotov or other to ignite it. As long as what he's put in burns long enough, it should ignite the cars, with those fires eventually reaching the fuel tanks. With a sling or catapult (particularly from an overlooking window or roof), he could deposit tightly wrapped fuel-soaked rags under the edges of the cars if he's competent with it - that would provide direct heat under the fuel tank. Some of the throwing would be sufficiently difficult to highlight your character's special abilities should need be.

Given care and a little luck, the guard wouldn't notice until the fire was ignited.

I found on a little search
    http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=164726
    that it's possible to kill large dogs with a slingshot :/

7. Xatron

Xatron New Member

How will he give the meat to the dog? I suppose even if it is not security trained, it still barks when someone it doesn't know approaches. Will he throw it over the fence in hope that it reaches the dog? What if the dog has a leash?
    Second, how is he going to hit the button from that angle? He would have to be standing on the fence on the east side of the yard to make that shot possible.

8. Phoenix Hikari

I like this idea very much, the throwing. Since my protagonist is a very smart, wicked boy he should be able to execute this. The thing is his heart changes after he hears/sees the guard struggling against his bounds and he decides to rescue him, that's why it's important to have the door open and now I think about it, since the yard belonged to his grandparents and his uncle owns it now- a bad person-, he can steal some documents from the guard's room that prove his mother has a share in the yard. yupe, this will excuse the need to open the door.

as for the door and the switch, he'll be shooting from a vacant high building nearby. I think hitting the dog before doing any of this is also important, they can simply sedate him. what do you think guys?

9. Xatron

Xatron New Member

If he can still the documents, why would he need to burn the yard afterwards? He can just steal the documents proving his mother's claim to the yard and then own it legally. His uncle couldn't report the theft because if there were such documents he would have been obligated to have turned them in earlier rather than holding onto them.

Other than that the plan sounds good and plausible.

10. Phoenix Hikari

True, true. But could it work that such documents are not legally valid because Kael's (the protagonist) father was a terrorist and since the man bombed himself to die along with 200+ people, Kael and his mother have had the government confiscate everything they own and now if they know about the mother owning half the yard they would only claim that as public property, is such thing possible?

11. Xatron

Xatron New Member

I believe that unless the yard originally belonged to the father instead of the mother and unless he obtained with money earned through illegal actions, it is not possible to have the property of an unrelated person confiscated for the acts of another person. Neither are the governments nowadays prone to punishing the entire family of a criminal so publicly and unfairly. What is yours is yours. Unless you yourself do something that warrants you relinquish your claim on it i believe it is not possible to have one's property confiscated.

If it originally belonged to the father though, and it is to be confiscated for that reason, it would have already been confiscated instead of passing on to the uncle.

12. Phoenix Hikari

Grrrrr... This is so mind numbing. Duh!
    OKay, since Kael has been tracking his uncle to locate the source of the monthly shipments of cars that come to the yard. Kael can steal documents that were signed illegally to bring these shipments inside the country or shire as it's called in the story. Kael will burn the yard and hide these documents to threaten his uncle with them, this will also drive the uncle to drop all the charges he rises against Kael in fear of being exposed. Works now? :(

13. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Yes, it works!

1 person likes this.