Dogberry's Watch -- Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Dogberry's Watch, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Swaggin like a Baggins Contributor

I am probably always going to be fascinated by language and how it works. I wish I could learn other languages because I think it'd be cool to be multi-lingual. I struggle with understanding vocabulary in fast spoken stuff. I could read basic French for a while but hearing it and speaking it were beyond my capacity.

I found a youtube channel (artifexian, if you're wondering) and so far I've taken several pages of notes on language creation. I'm looking forward to learning more, and I'm really excited to get started on creating the Moartean language. It'll be pretty close to Romanian, I think, with a few influences from the Semitic pronunciation.

Moartea in Romanian means death anyway, so it's only fitting I'm influenced by that language.

But that's all I have for today. I'm seeing my brother tomorrow, with a possible appearance by a Goose unless she's at Nana's. Have a wonderful day/evening. Thanks for stopping by.

marshipan, Xoic and Lifeline like this.
  2. Dogberry's Watch

Haven't written for a few days, and normally it'd bother me but I got stuck on something that I seem to have been struggling with the entire time I've worked on this book. The military aspect of this is kind of important, but the problem is it's not a traditional military, so I'm concerned it's going to look like I have no idea what I'm talking about. It's a military from a different world. Sure there are going to be aspects that are similar and familiar to what people know as military--the discipline is the main aspect I plan on adopting--but there's a certain lack in this world. They're training/learning to fight an enemy based purely on propaganda and have very few people with actual experience fighting the so called enemy. So, there's always going to be a sense of something missing when it comes to purpose. They've fought in simulations (realistic in the sense they're based on what they believe the enemy will be like), and some of them have gone on scouting missions into the other world, but maybe max 30 people have fought in anything other than a simulation. My hope is to write it well enough that it's its own entity, that it will be a legit setting/character of its own, but I know there's going to be someone who says it's not realistic. And how do I say "because it's not real" without sounding like a twat?

I had the thought of scrapping all the military scenes I have so far (which isn't very many, and they could technically be a private security team) and have a sort of ragtag bunch of people form a type of militia instead of it being already established. It would make sense to have a tighter group of individuals trained to be kind of guerilla fighters, The more I think about it, the more I like that idea better. But then it becomes a problem in the last book when the battle begins for Lazarus. Maybe in the time it takes from book 1 to book 3, we could have a firmer establishment with more people volunteering to fight after the events of book 1. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I like it, but I don't.

Do you see the predicapickle I've gotten myself into? I might write the private security angle and see how that goes. And honestly, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense because so far the threat has been outside of the world between worlds. Ugh, rambling. It makes sense in my head. Sort of. Maybe not even a little bit.

I've annoyed myself. I'm going to go away now. Have a good day/night/afternoon/time. Thanks for stopping by.

3. Dogberry's Watch

I slept on the idea I had yesterday, and I've decided to go with it being a private security thing built by a group of people who were soldiers either in Fulcrum or Lazarus. By the end of the first book, the militia is formed and then by the beginning of the third book there's a small army. This makes sense because Sam becomes the leader of the small army and he fuels it with his hatred of all things Moartean (no, autocorrect, I do not mean Moroccan), which in turn helps speed along the almost rabid desire of others to fight the supposed enemy. It also makes it easier for Frankie to be horrified by the person Sam becomes by the end of everything. He loses sight of what mattered to him in the infinite pursuit of destroying the Moarteans.

The main thing is I think I've decided on a more feasible direction for the series. It doesn't change too much about things because Frankie will still need to be trained, so she can just learn in a more direct way instead of through a group. I can still have her interactions with the people she meets in her training. They'll just be already established in the security team.

It might not make much sense here, but it makes sense in my head. And with that, I'm going to try and sleep early tonight. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you're well.

marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  4. Dogberry's Watch

Did some more work on the art journal and that's really it for the last little bit. I've done some thinking about where I want to take it all, and got overwhelmed by it, so I kind of shut down that part of my brain for a bit. I tend to spiral down a "this is absolute horse shit and you should stop working on it" but the part of me that's worked on this for so long gets offended and tells that part of me to shut up, that we'll get back to it in a bit.

I guess this is more about lack of progress, but I think that's important to talk about, too, because writing is not just about success. In my case, when I get too caught up in my head (I've worked on it and I'm working on it) I tend to shove the shit I like to do back behind everything and then hyper-distract myself with unimportant stuff. It'd be fascinating if I weren't so over it and my bullshit.

That's all I have for today. I'm going to go read. Hope you're well.

5. Dogberry's Watch

Well, I've stayed up far later than I should have, but I was working on my art journal while my friends played some video games on stream. It's become a weekend thing for me, and I find myself missing them very much. Although I probably won't be fond of being around people for a very long time once there's some semblance of "back to normal" in the world. My social avoidance was rather aggressive before the whole pandemic, and now I have to have my mom go grocery shopping with me because I can't go by myself. I've tried and I just shut down.

What was I talking about? Sorry. I got three spreads finished tonight and planned a fourth. I count it as progress because I'm developing the world and visualizing it. The only thing I didn't do today was work on the language creation. But there's always tomorrow!

I'm still mulling the actual story around in my teeth to see where I can go with it. I might restart the chapter I began a bit ago. That tends to work when I get stuck. Or I might take it back to just the beginning of the chapter and retry it from a different angle, but keep up to a certain point. The pastabilities are endless.

Thanks for stopping by! I wish you well.

Xoic, marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  6. Dogberry's Watch

Restarted chapter 11 and got my mojo back. For tonight, anyway. It's been a bit since I've actually written, but that's all right. Sometimes it has to steep.

Hope you're well.

marshipan, Lifeline and Xoic like this.
  7. Dogberry's Watch

Working on my world building journal today, and I drew out a city. It looks like the silhouette of an elephant's head on accident, but it's still something I'm pretty proud of. I needed to find how many cities are in Lazarus, so I started reading through the third book, but the joke's on me because I'm probably going to end up rewriting it anyway. So I made up some cities.

Tarne, Strir, Calarnen, Okesse, Telaroth, and Ment'lel.

I only use Telaroth and Calarnen in the book, but all are pretty essential.

And that's what I've got today. Hope you're well. I'm going to make some dinner now because I reminded myself two hours ago that it'd been more than acceptable hours since I'd eaten last.

marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  8. Dogberry's Watch

I'm giving this place a rest for a while. Serious health problems have come up and my depression is kicking my ass at the moment. I don't feel like I've contributed much here anyway, just blathered on about story ideas that probably aren't worth much.

Even as I type that, I feel like it sounds like I'm reaching for some reassurance that I'm not a bad writer, but it isn't even about that for me. It's just empty. All the time. There's a constant need within me to prove something to myself, that all of this has been worth the struggle, the nights of staring up at the ceiling because I can't sleep. The way I can't find an appetite when I really need one.

I want to say I'll be back, and perhaps I will, because this place could be the writer home I've been trying to hold onto, but if you're broken inside with not much holding you together anymore, nothing feels like home and trying to find it is impossible. Or feels impossible.

I know this is dramatic. I don't really care. I'm not looking for anything other than a place to say thank you for listening to me, I guess. I really do appreciate those who took the time to read this journal. I hope you find success and it holds onto you.

Peace out, brussel sprouts.

Catrin Lewis, Xoic and marshipan like this.
  9. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Staff Contributor

However long you need, you can always come back to us. Hugs to you, my friend!

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  10. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I hope things improve soon for you, dogberry. I've enjoyed your presence.

11. Dogberry's Watch

(Thank you for your kind words, @marshipan and @Lifeline . I truly do appreciate it)

I wasn't going to update this journal again because I thought I needed to take time to figure out more behind the scenes stuff, but then I found this Viking chant/metal genre of music and became obsessed because it's 100% how I envision the Moarteans sounding. Their vibe, if you will.

The song I've linked above caught me because it's perfect for the beginning of the fight for Lazarus in the middle end of the third book. Frankie's been initiated as a Moartean warrior and given armor specially crafted for her as she doesn't have the exoskeleton Moarteans have naturally. The beginning of the song is the team leaving their base as they go on a slaughter mission, purely to kill the cannibals approaching their position, and around minute two of the song is when the drums kick in. This is when they're running through the ruins of the city, part desert, part metallic metropolis. The Moarteans make no sound as they run, their advantage on the cannibals. They seem to glide over the sand, over the rubble. They're searching as they run, making sure they won't be caught off guard by surprise attacks. Frankie keeps up with them, her heart pounding in her chest from the adrenaline and excitement.

At 4:15 in the video, their quarry has been spotted by scouts sent ahead. Now the scouts join them as they head toward the cannibal camp. 5:06 is when Frankie leaps over a mound of rubble and plunges her knife with both hands into the perimeter guard's head. He drops, her knife buried in his skull. The Moarteans tear through the outer perimeter guards, their violence striking and morbidly beautiful. 6:29 is when the cannibals hear Frankie running. She's the only one who makes a sound. She is dressed in her armor, her hair wild and free, and she's been painted to match the markings of the Moartean soldiers. She unleashes her power on those who come to fight her. Hand to hand. She is an elegant flow of energy, pressing her palms to the chests of her enemies, their hearts exploding through their backs. She sweeps through the cannibal camp with her team of warriors and at the end, she stands with them, blood soaked and terrifying, joining them in their triumph.

I don't know how frequently I'll update from now on. Life is still pretty hefty for me, but I'll be around in the lurking section. Thanks for stopping by. I do hope you're well.

12. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor

It's touching that what brought you back (however back you may be) is art. I'm captivated by the music and by what you wrote above. If you need to lurk, then by all means, lurk. But I hope you step forth into the sun now and then. Or that the sun finds you somehow.

13. Dogberry's Watch

Facebook memories dropped a bombshell on me tonight so I'm looping some music to help me zone out and ignore my feelings (it's not really working so far). To help, I'm typing up the chapters I've got handwritten and while I won't get them all done in one sitting, I'll certainly get quite a bit done. I've been stuck on a spot in chapter twelve and I'm ready to toss the whole idea and start over, but that'd be the fourth time I've started over. I could move on and return to it, but it has to be done in some kind of order. It just does.

I'm fine. Probably. Probably not. Need to shut off my brain for a long time and stop trying to find things that aren't real. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you're doing all right.

Lifeline, marshipan and Xoic like this.
  14. Dogberry's Watch

Got about halfway through typing up chapter 7 last night and read through the rest to refresh myself. Chapter 12 is causing me problems. In previous drafts it was when Frankie met Naim, but she's already done so this draft. So now I've changed it to where she meets the governors of each dorm building and then her ascendance ceremony (where she meets the Thrice Unbound, and then is kind of nabbed by the First Four to meet them). It's rough. I don't dislike it but I don't like it either. Some of the ascendance part can be brought in from last draft and rearranged to fit the current one. But I've never had to write the interactions with the governors before so I'm not sure if that's where I'm getting stuck or if I'm bored with the whole thing.

Anyway, in the end Frankie will have it all figured out and we can return to our regularly scheduled programming. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you're doing well.

15. Dogberry's Watch

Have I mentioned I hate chapter 12? Because I do. I think I have a tentative solution for it. I planned to work on it tonight but ended up writing a threesome instead that supposedly takes place in the third book. I think I was just letting the characters try it out to see how it could go, and while I know I write bangin' sex scenes (pun fully intended), these three are not going to get it on in the actual story.

It's been a weird weekend and I go back to the office tomorrow, so I'm going to be particularly cranky tomorrow evening, I'm pretty sure. Thanks for reading. I hope you are doing well.

16. Dogberry's Watch

Not overly cranky, so that's good. I made another attempt at chapter twelve and ended up just barreling through the beginning because it's so fucking frustrating and stupid and I'm hating my choices.

I also had a moment of, "oh, you're dumb. Brilliant but dumb," in regard to the Moartean exoskeleton. It makes such sense I'm so baffled I didn't realize it until now. But such is life.

The red wing black birds are nesting by the drainage ditch at work again, and that makes me very very happy. They're such delightful birds! I'm looking forward to seeing them every morning now. That's all I have today. Thanks for stopping by.

17. Dogberry's Watch

Chapter 12 can suck my non-existent nuts. I've conquered it. Well, not entirely, but I did make solid progress today.

Thanks for stopping by. I'm going to go make myself eat something even though I don't want to. Hope you're well!

18. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Funky like your grandpa's drawers.... Staff Contributor

Hmm. Now I'm picturing Chapter 12 wandering around the room looking for nuts that don't exist.

Dogberry's Watch and Lifeline like this.
  19. Dogberry's Watch

And it will wander forever.

20. Dogberry's Watch

Chapter 12 is going in a steady direction now and I'm ready to get it done. It turned into a heart to heart session of sorts because Naim wanted to meet Frankie without the overbearing Sam nearby. So he brings her to his safe place because he trusts her. An interesting thing in and of itself because he ends up telling her not to trust anyone but herself.

It'll be good. I'm finishing my lunch prep for tomorrow and then showering and going to write in bed. It's going to be a long day tomorrow, but I've got the whole weekend to be a bum. Thanks for stopping by, friends. Hope you're well.

21. Dogberry's Watch

There's a meme going around where someone's taken a clip of a song (I'm sure if I actually looked it up I could quote it accurately) where the line is, "don't try to double back I already despise you" typically in response to someone being shady.

That's how I feel right now about chapter fucking twelve. I thought I had it but then it again felt like I was plodding through nonsense to get to the part I wanted to write. So then I had the idea last night at work to just switch them. Write the stuff I wanted to write and then Frankie can go meet the fancy pants people after she's met the gods. That's simplifying it so much, but essentially the reality of what I want to accomplish. Now I just have to see if I can salvage anything from the previous draft's "ascension" scene and use it in this one. I think I remember liking it? Which means I'll probably hate it now.

Whine whine whine writing's hard get a hobby blah blah blah blah blah. I hope you have a lovely time of day wherever you are.

22. Dogberry's Watch

Converting previous ascension scene to third person. Going better than expected. Will easily transition into the next part of the story better.

The thing I've come to question is why do I feel the need to explain the history of the time zones now? It would fit better in the story as kind of interludes more than chapters. Stories within stories almost. Maybe. I did have it set up as a series of lectures in the last draft, but that feels clunky and obvious now especially since I'm no longer having Frankie go through designated "boot camp" style training to learn how to punch butt.

I've considered her learning the historical stuff from the other characters already existing but I think instead I'm going to have her sit down with Evet's Mouthpiece and have a casual discussion. Written better than that simple description of course. Evet's Mouthpiece is a character I wasn't too sure I wanted to make more prevalent, but he plays a huge part in the end of the story, so this could be a good way to introduce him and his function better. (Evet is one of the First Four, a Before Being, and Tobias's father.)

Some stuff to give a gnaw while I get ready to end the day. Got emotional over an episode of Supernatural, which very rarely has good episodes, but the earlier seasons are decent, with some hefty bois in there. Anyway. I wish you well. Thanks for stopping by.

23. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Staff Supporter Contributor

Season 1 and 2 were the best with Yellow Eyes.

That decision to take a late game character and use them earlier to introduce them and advance the story is a good choice. Generally want to have most, if not all, of your characters in line and done out enough to get by the 70% line of the novel.

Good work, keep it up!

Lifeline likes this.
  24. Dogberry's Watch

The episode I watched was the one with Dean facing the Reaper at the hospital. Probably one of the best episodes of the series. I kind of lose interest after the Leviathan storyline picks up, and I've not seen much of the seasons past the point of Bobby (iykyk). Gets a bit too spectacular for me. I don't go into the show expecting logic and fabulous storytelling, but there is a point where it becomes too ridiculous.

marshipan and EFMingo like this.
  25. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor

If you know your kek? :confused: