Dogberry's Watch -- Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Dogberry's Watch, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Swaggin like a Baggins Contributor

If you know you know.

Sorry, it appears............ You didn't. But that's okay! Because I have no idea what a kek is! We are even in our unknowing.

Xoic likes this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor

"The word “Kek”, originally a Korean onomatopoeia for a raspy laugh, had long been used on 4chan as a replacement for “lol” (laughing out loud). One day, a /pol/ contributor discovered that Kek is also the name of an ancient Egyptian frog god."

And now we are both with the knowing.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  3. Dogberry's Watch

I'm not going to be too optimistic, but I think... I'm pretty sure I've got chapter 12 figured out. I did what I said I would earlier and just wrote the part I wanted to, and it turns out I like the order of things better this way anyway. I was able to convert a scene from last draft into third person and the tone isn't too different. When I go back and do a read-through, I'll probably have a billion notes for it, but as of today, it's going in a good direction.

I also solved the problem of getting the "history's mysteries" into the story without being an info dump. Ish. Still a bit clunky, but better than it was.

And with that, I'm off to bed. My brother told me my niece can count to ten! We'll have to play hide and seek next time I'm there. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you are doing all right.

marshipan, Lifeline and Xoic like this.
  4. Dogberry's Watch

Motoring along and almost done with chapter twelve. I think it's accidentally longer than I meant it to be, but that's a happy thing. Want to hear what's been keeping me going? I've become a huge, huge fan of Heilung. Here's one of my favorites of theirs:

Short and to the point today. Not much else going on other than writing till my hand cramps. Thanks for coming by. Hope you're well.

5. Xoic

Yeah, I like the music. Reminds me of Maori Haka chanting:

... But with digeridoo. Gives it a nice trancelike feel.

Lifeline and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  6. Dogberry's Watch

The haka chanting is another thing that inspires me. My favorite one is of this wedding haka and it's so full of pure, intense love and it's absolutely beautiful.

Xoic likes this.
  7. Dogberry's Watch

Well. I've got a nice lead going on chapter 13. Remembered some stuff I forgot in earlier chapters, but I've added to the pile of sticky notes I have stuck to random places on my desk. I'm feelin' pretty laid back tonight so I'm going to spend some time working on another project before bed. My sister and I found this black paper journal and I'm turning it into a collection of poetry and letters to Henry. I've been using gold and silver gel pens on it and it looks really snazzy. The title page has a quote on it from Carson McCullers, "The way I need you is a loneliness I cannot bear."

Have a lovely weekend, friends. Hope you're well.

Xoic, marshipan and EFMingo like this.
  8. Dogberry's Watch

I had a goal today of getting chapter 13 done along with other things and I just finished it. I'm going to hopefully start chapter 14 in a little bit, but I have to get some running shoes today.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you are doing all right!

marshipan and Xoic like this.
  9. Xoic

Now you can strap on those running shoes and sprint through chapter 13. Gogogo!!! :superyesh:

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  10. Dogberry's Watch

Less of a sprint, more of a mosey. But 13 is all done and I have a vague idea of how to start 14.

Lifeline and Xoic like this.
  11. Dogberry's Watch

Not gonna lie, when I went to start chapter 14 today, I wasn't sure where it was going to go, but I got things started and it's shaping up to be an easy, laid back chapter. Frankie's going to spend time with Evet's Mouthpiece and then go visit her mom in the hospital.

I'm making this a somewhat respite chapter for her even though she starts out with meeting her new group of people she's training with, but she's had some eventful shit go down and I keep forgetting she needs a moment to decompress. So she's going to go sit with her mom and exist with her.

It's been a hella long day and I have spicy nuggs cooking in the air fryer. Gonna chow down and then read the rest of the night because I damn well deserve to. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate you.

Lifeline, Xoic and marshipan like this.
  12. Dogberry's Watch

I went dark in chapter 14. I didn't intend to, but it happened, and now Frankie gets to decompress. Kind of forced to.

It's been a weird day. I watched some Supernatural to kind of get my mind off of some things and all it's really made me do is feel emptier.

I hope you are doing okay. I hope your part of the world is bright with good things and I hope you are able to laugh with someone you love today. Or tomorrow, I guess, since it's late now.

13. Dogberry's Watch

I gave myself a small break from writing to accomplish some other goals I had for the month, but now I have, it's back to the grindstone. I made myself some notes on what I want from chapter 15, and will begin that on my lunch break tomorrow. I'd originally planned on just rewriting some of the previous draft, and I've been printing that out to rewrite off of, but my printer has been a shit stain recently, so until I get ink and/or a new printer (took the fucker apart down to the innards and it's still being a bastard), I'll have to either wait until I get home to copy stuff over or simply rewrite it new and sparkly. Which is doable, but not preferable especially since the stuff I wrote last draft is somewhat decent.

That's all I have for today. Thank you for dropping by. I hope you are doing okay.

Lifeline, marshipan and Xoic like this.
  14. Dogberry's Watch

I've been working on stuff, just not talking about it. I'm not pleased with how it's gone so I'm probably going to scrap it all back a few chapters and start over. Maybe even take it back to chapter 12 because that one still probably isn't done right.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you're well.

Xoic, marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  15. Dogberry's Watch

Listless and drifting. That's where I find myself. I can't focus. I'm just writing placeholder stuff. It'll be okay eventually, but for now it's a bit jarring.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you are well.

marshipan, Xoic and ItzAmber like this.
  16. Dogberry's Watch

Fulcrum is sitting in time out while I let myself regroup my thoughts. I wrote the beginning of the training, and that was somewhat decent but it all feels stiff and forced. I'm doing some house stuff today so hopefully the physical work will help me figure out what I want to do with the damn story.

Have a lovely day! Hope you're well.

ruskaya, marshipan and Xoic like this.