Dogberry's Watch -- Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Dogberry's Watch, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Active Member

Thanks for the references! I'll have to check those out when I have time.

No writing on the book today, but I did write my blog posts. So that counts as work, right?

I think March is going to be kind of sporadic for me on here, because I think every night I'm going to be working hard on the book after my day job, so if I go away and come back looking like a mad scientist with poofy hair, don't mind me, just give me donuts and tell me I'm okay.

Steve Rivers, Alan Aspie and EFMingo like this.
  2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Nefarious Flamingo Staff Contributor

Be sure to send a picture, then you'll receive the requested donuts!

Alan Aspie and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Active Member

The telling you you'll be okay is fine, but the other bit might be a serious flaw in your plan.
    :pop:

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  4. Dogberry's Watch

So one of the things I completely neglected in previous drafts was the religious aspect of this whole series. Reading Clariel reminded me that there is an entire background devoted to this religious mess revolving around the "Cats." They're really these horrifying godlike beings, massive and grotesque, and they choose certain people to "ascend" from the "Pit of Unfolding." Which is located underneath each shrine in its respective dormitory. All of this would make sense if you knew what the hell I'm talking about.

I'm working on the scene where Frankie gets ascended and I wrote two full pages at lunch today. That's never happened. I usually get about 1 1/4 pages done, but today I must have felt it because I went back to my desk and I realized what'd happened.

I was going to keep typing tonight, but I'm tired and don't really feel like doing much typing. I spend 8 hours a day staring at my screen at work, so my eyes get worn out fairly quickly.

So I'm going to finish writing this scene and then get a schedule for the rest of the next two weeks for what scenes are due when and so on.

It's going to happen. It's real. It's fucking terrifying.

5. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Active Member

Re: eye strain, does your word processor have a dark background? I started using white text last week and it has changed my life.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  6. Dogberry's Watch

I don't know. I type everything in yWriter, and I've never looked into the appearance aspect of it. I did get the blue light special lenses with my newest pair of glasses. I have noticed a difference using them, so maybe that's helping.

Not the Territory likes this.
  7. Dogberry's Watch

Progress update: I created a schedule for getting the scenes done that need to be actually written, and I finished one today. Now I'm leaving myself continuance notes because the scene I'm tying it into isn't scheduled till around the 12th. Obviously the faster I get things written, the sooner I can get to other stuff within the scenes I'm writing, but I believe in my system and I believe I can hold myself accountable.

It feels good. It feels like work, but it's work I've wanted to do most of my life, so I'm okay with that.

I'm thinking about starting a thread about what it's like in the military because I have no experience past movies and that's not always accurate. I'm creating a sort of military that's a hodgepodge of different branches, but it's mostly just a gaggle of fighters, really. Well, more than a gaggle, I just wanted to use that word in a sentence. Now I have done so twice and I shall get back to my work.

It's really exciting to be getting something done when all I've done is just putz around with it for over a decade. I hit the ground running in January and seeing it all come together is intoxicating in the best way.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  8. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Nicely said.

9. Dogberry's Watch

As many struggling artists out there, I have been gearing up for a rather intense bout of anxiety and depression. Because of this, I've become cluttered in my head, and today I had two scenes due, but I didn't write either one.

Normally I'd beat myself up about this, but I'm going to focus harder tomorrow and not allow myself to be distracted so I can get done what I need to. Sometimes it's okay to listen to the part of your mind that wants to take a break and do nothing.

marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  10. Dogberry's Watch

Three scenes due today and one is just about finished. Brought myself to a place I know is productive and I've already written four pages in a little over an hour.

It's been a solid day so far.

Alan Aspie and Not the Territory like this.
  11. Dogberry's Watch

Smashed through 14 1/2 pages. It was fantastic. I kind of want to keep writing, but I also want to sleep early tonight.

I kind of want to go to the library and write after work, but we'll see if I actually do that.

marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  12. Dogberry's Watch

I wrote a big chunk of a chapter today. I'm falling behind on my schedule, but I still have ten days to get everything written that needs written. My own personal deadline, of course. I've mostly stuck to it, but the fool in me who thought the classes were all going to fit into one scene is being laughed at by the idiot who realized it's an entire chapter.

I like discovering things I knew needed to be in the book but forgot about till I need to write them. Helps me add more development to the story as a whole and I can solidify elements as "canon" and keep them important through the whole thing.

If that sounded like rambling, it was. I'm very tired, but sleep doesn't love me anymore. I'm going to try and convince it we should be together now, though.

marshipan, Alan Aspie and EFMingo like this.
  13. Dogberry's Watch

Got home and stared into space for a while. Made some brownies and now I feel like writing till I sleep.

I did write at lunch and for the last half hour of work, because we ran out of stuff I know how to do, so that's all fun.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  14. Dogberry's Watch

I'm still working on that chapter I've been working on for a few days, but ya know, it's getting done, so I can't really be too upset with myself, I guess.

I think I'm going to see if I can crush through the rest of it tonight and start on the next ones I have due. I can still meet my deadline of next Saturday, because I have my tattoo appointment that day and I can't write while I'm being stabbed for several hours.

marshipan likes this.
  15. Dogberry's Watch

Nothin' to see here, folks, just a supernova collapsing in on herself because she lost belief in her work.

marshipan likes this.
  16. Dogberry's Watch

Well, that was overly dramatic of me, wasn't it? It's not that I lost belief in it. I lost belief in myself. It's a habit. Do some solid work, get places, and then realize I'm being good to myself and then I sabotage. It doesn't help that I'm dealing with some stress with work (having to remote in for the foreseeable future is a bit daunting and scares me a lot more than I've admitted to anyone yet, but ya know. I'm grateful I have the ability to continue working my day job, especially since I'm about to embark on homeownership), ON TOP of trying to wrangle in stuff for the house I'm trying to start buying. It's such a wild time to be alive, and I wish I could do more to help those struggling, but then I realize I'm not writing, and I wanted to be so much further than this by now.

I also can't go to the library after work (partially because I'll be at home all day anyway), because the college is closing down, so the library is either going to be shut down completely or is going to have severely limited hours.

I've always been an introvert, but I don't like this. It makes my veins itch and I get nauseated from thinking about having to cloister myself up with my parents. Thirty days, hopefully, and I'll be good to move into my house, but till then...

Richach and marshipan like this.
  17. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

You know... You can change your habits.

18. Dogberry's Watch

This I know and have tried.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  19. EFMingo

Easier said then done.

20. Richach

Richach Senior Member

Life is a cycle, the good and bad always come around sooner or later, ride out the bad and enjoy the good.

EFMingo and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  21. Dogberry's Watch

Fucking finally. Got to a place where shit's moving forward again. And the character reveal for something massive is better this way, much more so than the way I thought it was going to be done before.

Gonna see if I can keep up this momentum tonight.

marshipan and EFMingo like this.
  22. Dogberry's Watch

I seriously hate this shit right now. I feel like I'm slogging through it which means it's probably awful to read and the characters are being weird and not in a good way.

I just want to scrap the whole last ten pages and stare at the wall for a while.

It really doesn't help working from home. I know that's such a first world problem, but whoever invented this idea, I just wanna talk. And tell you to shut up. Because this is the most demotivational thing of my writing career and I've had depression most of my life.

marshipan likes this.
  23. Dogberry's Watch

Realized the end of April is about to slam into me from behind, so I'm utilizing my bullet journal to keep myself on track. I'm going to set up the weeks differently so I can keep a better record of my progress this month.

I'm anxious as hell about it, but I can get this done. It's what I've been training for this whole time.

I haven't written myself a pep talk yet, but I will today.

Attached Files:

marshipan and EFMingo like this.
  24. EFMingo

Good luck. Wish you the best in your scheduling!

25. Dogberry's Watch

I've made some excellent progress on the scenes that need to be written. I decided that instead of writing whole new scenes for certain things, I'll pull from what I've already got done and fix it to fit into what I have now. This will save me more time and effort in the long run and is less stressful when I have it already written, I just need to pound it into shape.

That said, I'm going to work on another scene that needs to be done tonight, and that one is an action sequence, so I think that should go fairly smoothly. I've got two days to finish writing things. Well, three, but I might be busy Saturday. I don't remember why, but I think I have something happening.

Side note because I want to put this here:
    My tarot cards have been ridiculously accurate with things I've been thinking. For example, yesterday's was the 6 of swords, face up. And that one is quiet passage, movement with those you love most, better times lie ahead, emotional depth between people involved, thoughts and words are used in their highest aspect. There is no going back. And then today's was Judgement, face up. Turning point, wake up call. No going back. Undeniable change. Awakening consciousness, new reality. Your life will never be the same. Everything inside of you has changed even if the outside hasn't caught up yet.

Accurate for reasons I don't know that I can share, but the fact that twice in a row, the cards say there's no going back. Whatever I've started is happening and will continue happening because I can't stop now. I think mainly it's about my drive for writing. That's what I'm going to say it is. Because I want this so much. I want to succeed. I think I can, just gotta get past my self doubt, the bastard.

Last note: it's a good thing I looked in my journal, because I have blog posts due this weekend. That's what I was going to do Saturday. Good for me for writing it down.