Dogberry's Watch -- Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Dogberry's Watch, Dec 12, 2019.

1. NK_UT

NK_UT Active Member

Sometimes the madness is the answer.

Maybe that's something that would help you. Working at it from a different perspective, that is.

I don't like to outline much, it's never been conducive to my personality to do so. With the series I'm working on right now, I have the end scene clearly and firmly in mind, and I have a somewhat clear idea about how to get to that conclusion. Hardest thing for me is all the connective tissue. Sometimes, my writing ends up reading like a series of scenes rather than a progressing story. I feel you on that burnout. I'm on my fourth rewrite for what I'm working on and my ninth or tenth read-through. Lucky for me, each time I rewrite it, I have picked up some important new perspective that helps make it easier.

Maybe if working from the end doesn't work for you, maybe you can work from the climax, then go in both directions at once. It's not chronological order, but it's different.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Swaggin like a Baggins Contributor

I'm about to say something that might be obvious to people, but bear with me. My commute is about half an hour, give or take if I feel like going the speed limit. I realized today that I can use that time to record notes for myself to listen to later (and also hear just how rambling I am when I try to explain this fucking book to people--insert Charlie Day meme with the string here).

I made a lot of connections I'd been missing because I was talking it through out loud and let me say it's been wild. I did get more written at work (Fridays are stupid slow in the first 7 hours and then we're slammed the last hour), and I even managed to get a head start on a scene in chapter 7.

I also got more character development for Logan, Frankie's brother-in-law who's actually a baddie, and it sets up what he does at the end of the second book beautifully. People are gonna be all, "that's the fucker from before!" And I'm gonna be all, "it IS that fucker from before, see what he's doing now?"

All in all a solid day of writing stuff. I need to get one of those hands free things because I talked for 26 minutes today and that was abominable. I don't talk much in real life unless I'm with people I like. But yeah, Indiana has a law now where you get ticketed if you have your phone in your hand, which is legit, I'm not saying boo to that, just now I either talk for half an hour or I get a hands free device and boop the app off.

Well. That was a ramble. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you're well.

3. Dogberry's Watch

This journal is not going to be updated for a little while. I've decided to withdraw from discussing things publicly for a bit as I sort through some life things that have come up. Nothing bad. Well. No, nothing bad.

I'll be back with more updates at some point, just don't know when. Thanks for stopping by and for all of your thoughts so far! I hope you're well.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    marshipan and Room with a view like this.
  4. Dogberry's Watch

I haven't been slacking on the work, just not talking about it so much. I started a journal for placing my notes in one spot and I've been doing character spreads. This is Sam's. It's kind of an overview of his personality. I was falling asleep at the end of it so it gets a bit weird. I'm not going to post all of the spreads. Sam's just is the most complete.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you're well.

Attached Files:

Lifeline and marshipan like this.
  5. Dogberry's Watch

I'm about to finish the notebook I've been writing in for the last couple of months. I've already chosen the next one from my stash of journals I keep lying around with the intention of filling but never do. I'm making solid progress. Mr. Fogg is going to be like he is at the end this time around instead of working up to his erratic and insulting ways.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you're well.

marshipan likes this.
  6. Lifeline

Lifeline North of South. Staff Contributor

This looks like a work of art. I wish I had that kind of eye for beauty :)

7. Dogberry's Watch

Oh goodness! Thank you. I do have other spreads done. I've attached Naim's.

Attached Files:

marshipan likes this.
  8. Dogberry's Watch

There are many times when I want to just give up on writing. It feels flat and useless and I don't know why I'm bothering to try and make it anything. Getting discouraged is easy and pulling myself out of that discouragement is like running underwater. Resistance from all sides and my confidence plummets. Do I really have what it takes to be a writer? Am I any good at telling stories? Should I just leave it all alone and let the stories gather dust on the shelves?

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you're well.

9. Lifeline

What did you get started writing? Get ahold of that vision and hold on fast. Never let go!

10. Dogberry's Watch

I think I took your advice and ran with it, @Lifeline because I'm working on two projects now. One is the main thing I've been talking about for this whole journal, and the other is an experiment I'm testing out. Not sure how open I want to be about it, but it's possibly a self-publishing adventure maybe. Maybe.

Also, I thought about it and I don't really know what started me writing. I just sat down and did it in high school during lunch in the library instead of going to the cafeteria. Then I guess it continued into college and now here we are almost ten years graduated from college and nothing to show for my creative writing degree except three shelves full of writing binders and another bookcase started for it. I dunno. Just ... it feels like what I'm supposed to do, I guess. I know that's a turn around from my last post in here, but telling stories is what I've always wanted to do.

11. Dogberry's Watch

I finally got the beginning rewritten to a place I can start mixing in the last draft. There might still need to be new things added along the way but that's for when we get to that. I'm also going to start on the second book because I'm tired of the first one and I think I've got it mostly where it needs to be. Now the rest of them need looked over and converted to third person.

Also, the second project is making decent headway but I'm no longer good at writing in that genre so it feels clunky and forced in places. I'm not worried about it though.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you're well.

12. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

13. NK_UT

NK_UT Active Member

Done today is better than perfect tomorrow. As you get back into the swing of things, you can always revisit and revise it.

14. Dogberry's Watch

Finished the new stuff for the first book and now I'm on to the second. The first one needs to be typed and rearranged a bit, but that won't take too long.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you're well.

marshipan likes this.
  15. Dogberry's Watch

Finally wrote a beginning I feel solid on for book one. The original beginning just felt so frickin forced, and it felt like it tried to be more than it was. I decided to switch the action around and the words slapped into place.

Feels good.

Thanks for stopping by.

marshipan likes this.
  16. NK_UT

NK_UT Active Member

[​IMG]

17. Dogberry's Watch

Decided to try and organize my current projects shelf a bit better, and I read through some of the last draft of Fulcrum, and I already feel the story is better in 3rd person. There is a bit of something missing still, but I'll find it.

Working on my side piece now while listening to my favorite gamer on YouTube (OvertheGun--he's not uploaded for a very long time), and I'm feeling a bit out of my depth because of the genre my side piece currently sits in. It's all right though. Branching out of our comfort zone teaches us something sometimes, probably.

Hope you're well.

marshipan likes this.
  18. Dogberry's Watch

Got a lot further in the second book and I tabled the side project until I get a better idea of how to let that style flow. That one might work better in first person.

I've been tempted to put everything aside and start officially on my next series but I feel like I should at least get further along with the first one before I branch out.

But this is 2020 and the rules never really made sense anyway, so I think I'm going to. See how far I can get this month with that new story and once it's been purged from my system, maybe. . . I dunno.

19. Dogberry's Watch

The project I'm working on for November is a nice distraction from my issues with my main piece, but it also makes me sad a bit because I'm basing one of the characters on a friend of mine, and it's my way of getting to say goodbye to him. I changed his name in case I do publish this. It's been nice talking to him again. I don't write as much as I want to but it's getting done.

Thanks for stopping by.

MWB, Lifeline and marshipan like this.
  20. Dogberry's Watch

I'm avoiding a scene.

This story is different for me because there's no romance in it whatsoever. It does have intense friendships formed once misunderstandings are cleared up. I'm enjoying the different pace here.

Thanks for stopping by.

21. Dogberry's Watch

I wrote the scene I've been avoiding and it went all right.

I'm not sure if I'm keeping up with the word count goals, well, no, I know I'm not, but I do try to write every day.

Yesterday I read incredibly bad romance novels and watched Enemy at the Gates (which is one of my favorite films despite the fact Ed Harris's German accent disappears within two minutes of him being on screen). All of this brought me to the conclusion that I have no grasp on why people prefer certain things in romance, and helped me understand the chaos of a war zone better.

None of which is helpful to my current work but relevant to other things.

Thanks for stopping by.

22. Lifeline

You should watch 'The Hurt Locker'. It's a microcosmos of motivations and emotions.

23. Dogberry's Watch

I've seen that one! I spent most of it digging my fingernails into my palms. Very interesting film.

Lifeline likes this.
  24. Dogberry's Watch

The NaNoWriMo piece turned into sci fi horror, so that's fun. I dunno whether it's any good, but I'm enjoying writing it so far.

There's a legend that if you consume the memories of others, your life is extended. Immortality but not really. More like a longevity scheme. It's absolutely not true, but there are some very dangerous people who believe it.

The events of the first half are fitting together well, and the second half is going to be more of an adventure. Sort of. It'll end mostly happy.

I think that's it for today. Hope you're well.

marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  25. Dogberry's Watch

I need to research ships because I've never been on one and I think just watching NCIS isn't enough experience. There's probably youtube videos of ship tours, yeah?

I got the first night of terror written and it was really quite fun to do something I've never really attempted before. I have some confidence in the story idea, the execution will need a lot of editing. But I'm having fun writing this. I think it'll be my best work once I get it fully edited.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you're well.

Lifeline, marshipan and MWB like this.