Dogberry's Watch -- Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Dogberry's Watch, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Swaggin like a Baggins Contributor

I started incorporating some of the old draft into this new one, and I hit a snag because the voice isn't the same. It's easy to convert it to third person, but the scene I'm writing is technically a new one anyway. Maybe I should just write it brand new. I had my friend who's a geneticist walk me through some probable scenarios back in the day when I first wrote this scene, but now I think the scientific side is a bit too technical. I used to be proud of this scene and in many ways I still am, but as I combined it with what I've written new recently, it doesn't jive. The jelly beans don't jump, you know? I want to keep on keepin' on this groove because it's finally where I feel I fit, so I might just scrap the idea it's a new chapter and add it back into the last chapter I thought I finished yesterday.

The momentum is still with me, just gotta work through some stuff with it. Frankie gets almost fatally injured, but she makes it (I did consider killing her off, but that'd mean the rest of the series is useless because there's no one else designed to carry the story. Sure they could work as a team to finish everything, but literally Frankie's DNA is why she needs to exist. Or maybe I just kill her off and they keep her body in stasis or something until they end the... no that won't work... she has to be alive for that, that's right... Sorry! Just had to talk that out, I guess). In the scene I've combined drafts in, she undergoes a DNA rewiring of sorts in order to save her life, which it does, and it's fine that it does, but there's a little somethin' somethin' missing from it. A little pepper to the jack, you know what I'm saying?

Gah, sorry. I've been awake since 6 and trying to fix this at the moment seems kind of dumb because my brain is going mushy. I might just go watch some Star Trek for a bit now until I sleep. I don't know if I can do anything requiring deep thinking. But I've left myself breadcrumbs to come back to tomorrow. Notes on how I think the scene should go. I'll be able to write on my lunch break tomorrow. I didn't today because I had my last eye doctor appointment and my eyeball is finally back to sort of normal.

That's it from me today. I hope you're doing well and I appreciate you stopping by. I know I say that every time, but I do mean it. It's like I'm talking to people and bouncing bullshit off of y'all and figuring things out, and I am really grateful this place exists for that.

marshipan, Lifeline and Xoic like this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor

Oh, you just reminded me—I need to get some cheese tomorrow for the Christmas chili dogs! Thank you! Also, does somebody have food on the mind tonight? o_O
    o_O o_O o_O :cool:

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  3. Dogberry's Watch

Trying to figure out how to make that scene work and it's bugging me that I can't get it right. Might move what I have into a scrap document and just start fresh and leave out the old draft all together because that seems to be where I'm struggling the most.

Thanks for stopping by.

marshipan and Xoic like this.
  4. Dogberry's Watch

I think this might be my last update for the year on my progress. Maybe... we'll see. I might get something exciting done and come tell all y'all about it, but unless something massive happens during my typing, I doubt anything will go down.

I cracked the chapter problem and have now written a fresh new piece of shit to get trod into the ground of this life's work. It's not as dramatic as all that, but the chapter is moving forward again. I had to start hand writing for it to actually flow. I know that's what usually gets me unstuck, but I was determined to be a computer typing writer for once. It doesn't work for me. I gotta feel the story leaving my body.

That sounds ridiculous, but it's worked for this long, so why mess with what isn't broken? Anyway, I hope you have an easy holiday season and that you and your loved ones (and hated ones, come on, it's the season) are safe and relatively happy. See you next year!

5. NK_UT

NK_UT Active Member

Sometimes it's just the simple action of switching up your approach that gets you to the next stage. Good on you for solving your problem.

6. Dogberry's Watch

Writing goals for 2021:

• Finish Fulcrum
    • Begin an overhaul/rewrite of The Keeper of Time
    • Work on a basic first draft of The Dust Chronicles
    • Read at least one bookshelf worth of my "to-read" shelves.
    Ive been doing work on Fulcrum, but not making myself worry over it. I'm going to do some more work this weekend. Today was spent on self reflection and it got hefty.

I hope your holiday season went well and that you're doing all right.

7. Dogberry's Watch

A lot of my friends tell me I need to write the stories my dreams tell me and for the most part I think I could, but there's one dream I have had several times over the past few weeks and I don't know that I'd feel right turning it into a story.

In this dream, I've found the perfect place for writing. But I've only been there once. It's hidden in this building that has all the appearance of a college dormitory but once you go into the different levels, it becomes a psychological test. Each time I've dreamed this, I've easily sailed through the first several tests. They don't change much. The last test is administered by a man named Tandem and since the first time I had this dream, I've not made it past him. His test changes each time and at the end, I never remember what it was but I end up in this salt water tank and he's soothing me. I've been terrorized but I don't know how. He brings me a blanket and holds me to make sure I'll be okay to leave. And then I wake up.

I've considered trying a short story collection of my dreams, and I think it'd go well, but the one with Tandem seems too personal somehow. I remember every test except his. It seems like a lot to go through for a writing spot, but I think I can safely say it ain't about that.

Today I might not get any writing done on my lunch break. We didn't have to work Friday, which means we'll be somewhat slammed today. I'll try to do some after work, but we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for reading! I hope you have a good day.

8. Dogberry's Watch

Just dropping by to say I sometimes get worried I won't be able to get back in the swing of things after time away from writing, but I picked my pen up for my lunch break and the story kept going from where I left it. I worry for nothing, it seems.

Hope your day is going well/went well/will be well.

9. Dogberry's Watch

Work was absolute dog shit today. The management at my place of employment is rather useless. My manager actually asked how we could perform better like he doesn't look at the reports. The one guy dragging us down regularly has poor numbers and has had poor numbers since I've worked here. I considered an email with a photo collage of his poor performance but that's not how I want to leave this job.

In happier news I finished a chapter today on my lunch break and the feeling was a good one because it clicked together at the end of it. I managed to wiggle some old draft writing into it and made it better than it was. I'm looking forward to what else I can do.

I hope you're all doing well. I'm going to go read some stuff for a bit.

Megan-Leigh, marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  10. Dogberry's Watch

Been feeling like the underside of a toddler's heel this week (I think it's all the sugar I've eaten. I don't normally eat it, but my family gifted me some Hershey's miniature stuff and Reese's cups, so I've been pretending I'm eating it to get it out of the house when really my body's just ready for some kale). But I've been making fine progress on my writing.

I started the next chapter and I got some done on my lunch break. Gonna do a bit more before I fall asleep tonight and hopefully sleep off some of the ick in my bones.

Thanks for reading! Hope you're doing okay.

marshipan, Lifeline and Megan-Leigh like this.
  11. Dogberry's Watch

Quick update on tonight's writing: I wish I had more hours in the day. I'm completely exhausted, but I don't want to stop working. Finished the chapter I started yesterday and it's feeling so damn good. The story feels right. It's a fantastic feeling.

Hope you're well!

marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  12. Xoic

Steal some from the night. :supercool:

13. Dogberry's Watch

In the course of the beginning chapters of the first book, Frankie's sister Serena gets killed, and she's always had a tumultuous relationship with her. The hardest part about writing this relationship is Serena's not in the book very long, so a lot of the development she could have is cut short when she's killed. Frankie in the past drafts spent very little time examining the loss of her sister because they didn't get along, but that'd always been too cold for who Frankie is. She's not overly emotional, yes, but she has a very strong sense of loyalty to family regardless of what that family member has done. Considering she only had Serena, it was usually her sister testing the limits of that bond. I've been working on her looking back at the relationship while she's meant to be listening to the head of her security team go over her day, and she realizes it's the loss of possible reconciliation she's mourning. Not necessarily the person her sister was, but the possibility they could mend fences so to speak and become closer. It's in that realization she understands that it's how she was able to love her sister. In the end, Serena calls Frankie right before she's killed (Frankie hears her die) and Frankie hopes beyond rational hope that Serena knew she was coming to save her (or try to). That she wasn't going to die forgotten and hated. I've never put much effort in this relationship because of how little time Serena's in the book, but I cried for Serena tonight while I wrote Frankie remembering her.

I hope you're well. I'm very glad tomorrow is Friday. This week has taken a lot out of me.

marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  14. Dogberry's Watch

By the end of this week, I've finished a chapter and written two more. I'm pretty excited with where the story's gone, and so far writing it all down has been doing wonders for me. It's cold in my house, though, so my hands get a little numb. But I'm too cheap to turn the heat up. Midwestern living and all that means I'm very fond of blankets.

Anyway. Short and cozy for the last entry of the week. I plan on doing as much writing tonight as I can, which might not be too much more since I'm already yawning a bit. But I've changed my playlist back to Game of Thrones from Death Stranding and now I'm going to just write into the wee hours of the morning.

Hope you're well.

Edit: a total of 29 pages at last count. Might not seem like a lot, but it's all done by hand, and the emotional toll it took on me (writing about a dead sister is a bit rough, I think), I might give myself the day off tomorrow and do some house stuff.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  15. Dogberry's Watch

Last update for a bit: Spending some time today going through the rest of the previous draft to see what else I want to include in this latest one. I hope to use most of it, just converted to third person. That will save me from having to rewrite the book for a 90th time. Although that may not be the worst idea. Anyway. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you're well.

Lifeline, marshipan and Xoic like this.
  16. Dogberry's Watch

Haven't done anything major with the book, but I've been working on the art journal for this series. I honestly haven't felt like doing much else. Some fairly serious health issues have come up, so I'm mostly trying to navigate them. Suffice it to say I'm just done with a lot of the shit that is my life lately, and the only reason it's going here is it's affected my drive to write. I don't want to deal with Frankie saving the world when I can't make sense of my own.

Anyway. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you're well.

marshipan, Homer Potvin and Lifeline like this.
  17. Dogberry's Watch

Back in draft two or three of Fulcrum, I started building my world in Minecraft. That setting has since changed and I've considered rebuilding it. Especially the mega cities of Lazarus. That all takes place in a massive desert like climate, and Minecraft has quite a few spaces I can see it working.

I'm not procrastinating. I swear. I'm not good at description so I want to try and visualize as much as I can, and Minecraft, while blocky and kind of rudimentary, will serve my small purpose well, I think. I do plan on doing city road maps of a sort in my art journal, with maybe some fold out pages so it's one of those cool things. We'll see, though. That feels like a lot of effort for just myself. But again: it might help me visualize shit better.

And that's all I have for today. Hope you're doing all right.

marshipan, Malisky and Lifeline like this.
  18. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Supporter Contributor

I've queued him up in my Spotify. This should be interesting.

19. Dogberry's Watch

Tiny, tiny trees. There's gonna be a fold out page on this spread with the lay out of the actual buildings (called dorms) of Amaranth.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you're doing well.

Attached Files:

Xoic, marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  20. Dogberry's Watch

I had a basket of miscellaneous papers that needed to be sorted, so I'm doing that right now, but I wanted to pause because I found my poetry from when I was trying to post a poem a day on my tumblr when that was a thing. I give to you one of the most pretentious yet vindictive lines I've ever written:

"And so,
    my revenge will be
    to swallow your picture
    with a tablet of acid
    so we can go
    on one last trip."

I don't have the strength to go through the rest, hahaha.

I have two massive piles of old drafts for book one and two, and then a scattering of old ideas, some new. And some writing that's just there. Like the poetry.

Do you ever have to sort through stuff? Find out you're not as organized as you've led yourself to believe after all these years?

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you're well.

Edit: y'all I found it. The best example of the kind of idiot I was in 2013. See attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    marshipan, Xoic and Lifeline like this.
  21. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Attached document is perfection. I certainly have some stuff like that. Oh boy.

22. Dogberry's Watch

Scratched out a bit and wrote a new direction. The story is going again. Whether it keeps going is a whole other basket of puppies.

Thanks for stopping by.

Lifeline, Xoic and marshipan like this.
  23. Xoic

[​IMG]

24. Dogberry's Watch

Update: I'm creating a language. Doesn't matter that it'll only feature a few phrases in the books, I'm doing it. The idea hit me and it's so fucking cool that I'm gonna do it. Along with writing the book, of course.

Xoic and Lifeline like this.
  25. Dogberry's Watch

Wrote 14 pages today. I double checked because I know I only wrote two and a half on my lunch break, and I started writing again about two and a half hours ago. My right wrist and forearm are kind of sore. I finished a chapter and started the next one. Wrote this dream sequence that was probably three pages longer than it was in the last draft, and it's far more emotional (listened to that GoT soundtrack, bay-bee!) which is good. Frankie also realizes that she didn't want a relationship with Sam to begin with, but was curious about what it would be like to have one with him. That's not what the dream is about (what a random, dry and dull dream if it were).

I'll be heading into last draft inclusion territory shortly, but first I have to take Frankie on a tour to meet the people. I plan on doing some hefty language research this weekend, between stuff and things, and maybe I'll do more writing? I also might just work on my art journal for this series. We'll see.

I was going to say something else, but I'm suddenly very tired, so I'm going to go away now. Thanks for stopping by.

Xoic, marshipan and Lifeline like this.