Don't Feed the Trolls

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Wreybies, Jul 5, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Not only that but I've heard tell that he works, and has an actual life outside of WF with a husband, a dog and everything....

Fernando.C, Trish and Wreybies like this.
  2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I was wondering the same thing. Flame-ish comments are made in ordinary, legitimate threads, and I think, "I shouldn't let that go. It's so horrendously, offensively wrong." But I do let it pass, because to take him/her up on it would derail the actual thread, and to suggest the poster take it to the Debate Room suggests I have time to follow him there and engage.

But maybe a simple "Debate Room" reply wouldn't commit any of us to anything? Except the mods who would have to move it, that is . . .

EDIT: Okay, I see. Just report it. And if the mods think I'm being too sensitive, I can just shrug, say "Oh, well," and go on ignoring the post I objected to. Or the poster altogether.

Right?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  3. Catrin Lewis

I was on one where the standard response to a troll was . . . no, never mind. That would be Telling, and it might still be needed.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

THe thing is (as i mentioned above) is that none of us have the right to tell someone where a topic should go except the mod/admin team (okay we are moving threads buts that after the fact not for mod purposes)

So 'trolly mc troll face' inserts his personal political/ideological beliefs into a non debate room thread and you or I or chicken or whoever tell him no, debate room... he's not going to go quietly to the debate room because we've told him to.... hes much more likely to kick off on a "how dare you tell me where to post" rant ..... and even if he doesn''t some passing edge lord who is professionally offended on the part of others will pick up on it.... and so the long day drags on

then when Wrey stumbles out of bed bleary eyed and unshaven clutching a 4 shot americano, and low and behold a perfectly reasonable thread has descended into civil war during the night ... so trollymctrollface gets the ban hammer, - the stirring edge lord gets an infraction , but so does the member who started trying to tell people where to post without the authority to do so...

As @Wreybies says above - the safe path is clean hands , report it and ignore it

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    jannert, Trish and KaTrian like this.
  5. Catrin Lewis

Good point.

6. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Noted. I am sorry for my contribution to the current unrest.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Some forums have a "vote down" that goes along with "like". But that does feel unfriendly.

Oh. Hey. How about a "Let's take this outside" thread in the Debate Room? I mean, a single thread for those many back-and-forths that aren't really worth their own whole thread? So when someone says something, and I say "what the expletive?!" I go to "Let's take this outside" after I've Reported, and rant there.

No? I suspect there's some flaw with this, but I'm not instantly seeing it.

8. Trish

While I like the idea of this (in theory) I see it as being a terrifying free-for-all of epic proportions.

9. big soft moose

Hey that wasn't aimed at you (or anybody in particular) I find it hard to believe you've contributed to any unrest :friend:

10. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I haven't seen that much backlash, so afaic feel free to advice over-political members to take their agenda to the debate room whenever you spot it.

11. ChickenFreak

Probably. Yes.

12. Trish

I didn't think you were pointing me out specifically, but based on your definition - I think I did. I did the whole 'debate room' thing. Thank you though :) :friend:

13. big soft moose

Thats essentually the fight fight fight forum on barry boys .... I can't see the powers that be here thinking it goes with the friendly ethos

Trish likes this.
  14. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I tend to not engage anymore, but I rarely report, either, because I don't really know what warrants reporting. Honestly I usually end up deciding that just because I think something is shitty behavior or it makes me uncomfortable personally, doesn't mean the mods have to do anything about it. I default to thinking that reporting would be 'bothering' the staff, but is it better to just go ahead and do it?

Trish likes this.
  15. Trish

Exactly - on the one hand I think it would be fun, because there's nothing I love more than a solid debate. But I am (I believe, feel free to correct me) one of those people who can keep it from getting personal, and too many people are not.

16. ChickenFreak

I Report. Not prolifically or whimsically, I think, but I probably Report three times a week or so, averaged out.

17. big soft moose

Really ? that doesn't track with what Wrey said

18. KaTrian

If you see trouble brewing, or flamey posts, or anything iffy, please report. Don't worry about whether or not it's warranted. We won't add you on any member shit list or anything for "over-reporting". ;)

jannert and izzybot like this.
  19. ChickenFreak

Maybe we need a definition of "engage". Obviously,

"You're an idiot, here's why, and here are fifteen links supporting my position, and I will argue this to the death."

is engaging. Are we saying, that

"Debate Room."

is engaging? If it is, no problem, just wanting clarification. Edited to add: And I got the vibe that it is, and now I'm less sure.

KaTrian and Trish like this.
  20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

... what? No, no, no. My words are very general words. Please don't take this as aimed at you. Everything I said is an amalgamation and a reduction of having done this since 2008. ;)

Trish likes this.
  21. Trish

See, that's what I think, except I tell them to take it to the debate room. If it's not an obvious troll, I tend to think more like 'Okay, maybe he/she doesn't realize what a fucked up thing to say that is. Because I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. But I will stop doing that so as not to add the caseload and drama.

Fernando.C likes this.
  22. KaTrian

You see people do that from time to time in the Not Happy thread, for example. It seems to be a conversation stopper rather than a fire starter.

Of course I'd rather you didn't engage and instead reported, but I haven't observed huge backlash from advising people to take their politics to the appropriate room. Or then I've just missed it...

Trish likes this.
  23. Trish

I wasn't taking it personal, I was admitting and asking forgiveness. :D

24. big soft moose

Tbh on barryboys making it personal is positively encouraged... the more inventive your invective the more likely it is to wind up in the hall of fame, barryboys gold. For example I once told someone that he was an " Ugly, untruthful fantasist whelk F*cker who was less welcome than a pubic louse on your wedding night" (Which i'm fairly certain would be banning territory here) and I actually got commended for it and a mod made it his signature for a bit

That kind of thing takes a very different audience and ethos that the one we have here

Trish likes this.
  25. Trish

Right? What the hell is barryboys? That sounds fun. Seriously. Cathartic even. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.