1. Scott Sommers

Scott Sommers Member Supporter

Supporter status

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Scott Sommers, Jan 5, 2017.

Dumb question, If I upgrade to supporter status, can I post my stories for beta-readers to critique my story?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You would still need to give two crits, regardless. Supporter status doesn't free anyone - myself included - from that part. The idea there is that "paying it forward" is part of what helps keep the Workshop moving. Plenty of writing forums out there where no one is required to give crit and everyone posts and sits back and waits and.... nothing happens.

3. Scott Sommers

Okay. sopunds good. I love critiquing others work. I already gave two critiques though. Will someone notify me that my critiques are valid before I post my story? I just want to make sure I following the rules.

4. Wreybies

Yeah, you're good to go. Remember that it's 2-for-1 all day, every day. For example, if you have 3 different things you want to post, you need to have 6 crits to your credit. 2-for-1.

Also, you only just now passed the 20 post requirement, so there's a chance that the software's "gate-keeper" still tries to block you and tells you that you "don't have permission". If that happens, leave the Workshop, pop into some other thread somewhere else in the forum, and then go back to the Workshop. That usually clears it up and makes the software register your requirements as met. If it still blocks you, PM me and I'll help you. :)

5. Scott Sommers

Thanks. I already purchased a supporter status for a year. Can't wait to see my emerald green ribbon lol. Also, I think this is a great site for newbie writers. I'll keep posting on my on author website about this forum. Keep up the great work.

Andre, out!!! [Andre drops mic and exits the stage. Crowd cheers and roars.]

Tenderiser likes this.
  6. Wreybies

And thar it be, matie. :)

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 1.26.21 PM.png

7. Jeff Countryman

Jeff Countryman Living the dream

"Can't wait to see my emerald green ribbon"

Hmmm.....I seem to have lost mine somehow. Time to renew my membership.....thanks for the reminder :)

8. jjwiggin

jjwiggin Member

When you give a critique - and this is only because I don't feel comfortable doing such things, really - is it solely on the technical aspects of the manuscript or can you also mention personal nuances? Of course, the author still has the final say, but what people say can ultimately affect the way a person writes - it can even make them stop - which is not the goal, I presume.

I'm just worried of what my opinionated mind might do to the author.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

You can critique whatever strikes you about the piece; SPaG, pacing, characterization, dialogue, plot...even the colour of the MC's hair!

But keep it polite, and try to give reasons for what you say (I didn't like this piece because the hero was a cat and I've hated cats ever since seeing those nasty Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp...)

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Tbh technical spag is probably the least useful crit (IMO), that's going to get picked up in edit anyway. I'd rather critiquers focused on does the story, characters, plot etc work ? is anything unclear/unbelieavable ? are there plot holes if so what are they ? and so forth