Tags:
  1. Leishua

Leishua Member

Down to 2 settings

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Leishua, May 19, 2019.

Trying to decide which one to go for, i've already written the 1st arc. The story is mainly cyberpunk and fantasy which revolves around 5 kids (after 1st arc 4). The 1st arc takes place in a largely isolated area but as i expand out i need to make a decision on the setting i go for. And i'm stuck between 2. The story has a cyberpunk like aesthetic and era to it but does keep quite a bit of fantasy elements such as magic. Which different races wield different forms of.

Setting A, this is the lighter setting. Its more like Kids Next Door. Long ago there was a war, between 2 civilizations. 1 was a race of people who cease to age and the other was a race seeking its secrets to immortality. They fought and the former was destroyed. The main characters are the last of these group of people and are trying to avoid capture seeking refuge in other civilizations.

Setting B this is the more serious one, instead of several civilizations, there is only 1. In this version the world has been collectively taken over by a civilization which controls subversive thoughts and ideas from its populace giving free will only to those in power and their families. The main characters like in setting A are discovered by a scavenger, but in this version they were basically biological prototypes to experiment with magic, now an extinct concept. The characters are searching for a place to hide along with the scavenger and a few others who escaped the mind control while avoiding every being discovered.

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I'm not going to tell you which setting to choose, that's your responsibility, but ask yourself this: What theme is your story about? What's its core truth? What should the readers take away? Should they get lighthearted enjoyment, or is it a dark, troubling story?

Or you could just start writing and see which setting your characters choose. Sometimes they know best where they feel comfortable ;)

Alan Aspie, deadrats and Cave Troll like this.
  3. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I'm in a very similar situation myself and, sadly, no one can tell me what to do as no one knows my story and what suits it best as well as myself.
    I'm also not one of those people that rate setting that highly and where possible I try to complicate and not be predictable. I don't tend to like it when settings "sum up" the mood and story. I like it to contradict. Like in "The Great Gatsby". Beautiful, glamorous setting full of venomous people, lulls you into a false sense of security and for some reason glamour attracts people and where there's people and glamour there is often trouble and scandal.

Just think about what you want to achieve.

Alan Aspie and Lifeline like this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

These two options seem like they would create very different stories. Usually, when I'm faced with a decision like this I feel more pulled in one direction over then other. We spend a lot of time in the worlds we create. Maybe think about which direction is going to give you the most options for your story and be able to accomplish what you want this story to say. Think about the point of your story and the message that will come across. I know these kind of choices can be hard. Give yourself some time to digest both options. And even try writing a little of both. A third option could arise or there might be a way to blend the two. Don't rush it of force it. Be open to the exploration. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but likely something is going to feel more right. Trust your gut.

Lifeline likes this.
  5. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

This. I don't know what you want to accomplish, if you look to writing as a job choice or not, but if not... if you just like to tell a story then choose the one which you feel pulled to the most. Because, like @deadrats said, you will live and breath this story for a time. Choose the option that excites you the most, and your story will be the better for it.

deadrats likes this.