1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. It depends how you write them

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. takadote26

takadote26 Member

Draconic anatomy...

Discussion in 'Research' started by takadote26, Mar 23, 2021.

Dragons have:
    • A complex circuitory system compared to humans
    • Omnivorous diet (can eat plants and meat, mostly prefer to eat cattle)
    • A large gizzard used to grind up different stones and metals together.
    • Most species don't have wings, most prefer to lounge around on land (like sun-basking crocodiles)
    • Heat-resistent teeth (made of fire-proof metal)
    • Continuously eat, in order to generate enough energy to fly around large areas
      (for winged dragons only)
    • Able to adapt to their own environment super easily...
      (so a dragon living near a volcanic area often laid fire-dragon type eggs, most water dragons are most likely living near a lake-area, urban dragons have electric and/or metal-element dragons, etc)

• More factoids about dragons:
    • Elemental magic heavily depend on where they first hatched
    • Their legendary "fire-breathing" ability was a myth that was exaggerated by simple medieval humans
    Are there anything about these dragons that I missed so far?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

What do you mean by "these" dragons? So many writers have included dragons in their work that I doubt very much there can be any all-inclusive list of characteristics, since some of them are almost certainly going to be mutually exclusive.

If you are going to write about dragons, choose a set of characteristics and have at it.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I don't know. Dragons aren't real. You're making them up for your story, so you tell us.

With my mod hat slightly donned, it is difficult to answer questions like these. Namely a list of very specific bullet points followed by a vague question like "am I missing anything?" It's YOUR story. We can't tell you how to write it.

Maybe try rephrasing the question into something we can answer directly. Like "If I created dragons with physical condition X, how would they perform action Y?"

4. Chekhov's pen

Chekhov's pen Member

We're talking dragons, not wyverns, right?
    So those are critters with 6 limbs, 1 pair of which is oriented in opposite direction from the others. We don't have any vertebrates with 6 limbs on this planet as far as I know.
    The non-flying dragons... What do they have in stead of wings? How are they oriented/attached? How is their skeleton different from ours? How is the musculature attached?
    Why do they have heat resistant teeth if they don't breathe fire? Do they eat lava? Otherwise evolution would favour those that have simpler teeth. Also the teeth are made of metal? really? I don't know of any Terran organisms that have actual metal components (other than, you know, hemoglobin and such).
    If a dragon hatched in a volcano (where he eats lava!), couldn't he breathe fire using fire magic?
    Due to these doubts I'm going with "unicorn", assuming it's the winged unicorn variety :)

5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Defecate gemstones?

6. takadote26

takadote26 Member

Yes, I'm talking about dragons, not wveryns.

If I created medium-sized elemental dragons with the physical condition of being able to sun-bask like most lizards, the flying dragons having smaller wings and having a large circuitory system similar to race-horses, would they be able to move quicker?

(Oh, and the bullet points were quoted from my own notes, sorry for the misunderstanding. These dragons were referring to my dragons, obviously)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021