1. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

Drafting (Class)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BatCountry, Sep 27, 2008.

Well, I haven't been on much since school started, I only go on the weekends, I'm in 9th grade right now and I signed up for Drafting 1. I know it has something to do with architecture, but that's it really. Can anyone explain it for me?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Drafting is not exactly architecture,although drafting is used in architectore (as well as mechanical engineering, electronics design, landscaping, and many other fields).

Drafting is drawing with measurement, usually for use in fabricating the object or building you are drawing. When I took drafting, we mostly used a drafting table with a drafting machine, along with an assortment of plastic or metal traiangles and French urves. A drafting machine is a mechanism that attaches to a drafting table and lets you place perpendicular ruled straightedges at precise angles and positions on your page.

These days, you are more likely to use s CAD (Computer Aided Design) program on a computer, but the purpose is the same - to draw shapes with measured lines and curves, that can help in both visualizing and constructing a real world object.

You will learn different ways to specify measurements on the plan for clarity, and without overspecifying. You will learn to draw complex shapes from different angles. We also learned how to block-print lettering that looked like it was done with a stencil, but that's not very useful if you have computers to do the labelling.

I enjoyed the class immensely (I took it in college).

3. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

Thanks Cogito, thats pretty helpful