1. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

Dragon shifter in Romanesque civilization

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Viserion, Feb 18, 2020.

I am writing a book involving a character who can shapeshift into a dragon. This character is also an important leader in his military. The transformation is inspired by the Attack on Titan “massive explosion,” and deals quite a bit of collateral damage. Think artillery fire.

The dragon shape is comparable to the AGoT dragons, capable of destroying cities but it deals large amounts of collateral. Afterwards the character is pretty helpless and weakened. Despite the disadvantages, it’s still monstrously powerful.

Any military thinkers who can offer advice?

Accelerator231 likes this.
  2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

What's the question?

3. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

What sort of situations would this be useful and what situations would it be inadvisable to use this power?

4. He Who Has Too Many Dogs

He Who Has Too Many Dogs Member

That really depends on the personality of the shape-shifter. I, being the end justifies the means kinda guy, would use it very often. Others who think all life is sacred, and collateral should be kept to the bare minimum, might disagree.

Viserion likes this.
  5. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Seems simple enough. It's a desperation move, or a tactical nuke. A General could utilize this character to sneak deep within enemy lines, and then explode with ferocity that destroys everything around it. You could also send the character as the vanguard in a military charge at the beginning of a battle. This really depends on how long this lasts, and how much control the character has on his transformation. If he becomes a terror beast of destruction, what stops it from turning back around on its friends.

Another aspect you could utilize is on the enemies side. Can they antagonize this transformation out of him with the character's own lines, bringing destruction and devastation to their own cities and armies? If the character assumes complete control, and clarity of thought, what is stopping him from being corrupted with his great power?

Just some food for thought. If you give more specific details, I could try to provide more specific answers.

Viserion likes this.
  6. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

He retains some control, enough to avoid directly attacking allies, but fire can easily spread. Collateral is common.

And I was thinking he would get corrupted. A gradual slide, until he seizes power to "preserve peace".

Thanks for the advice! I'll post more tomorrow.