1. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Active Member

Dragon Turtle's Progress Journal (it rhymes! sort of!)

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Dragon Turtle, Mar 17, 2018.

My book WAS going well, up until a week ago when it came to a screeching halt. I need to start being hard on myself, so progress journal it is.

I'm writing the sequel to a fantasy novel I drafted last year. It has five POVs and three parts. I've written up to the end of part two, with some gaps, since I wasn't working equally on all five POVs. Now I want to go back and fill in the holes I left, and it's like pulling teeth.

The end of part two had a series of scenes I've been waiting for ages to write. Like, I had one of them in mind all the way back when I was still planning the first book. It was so awesome finally getting to write them, and then in a way my brain was like, WOOHOO. WE'RE DONE.

No, brain, we are not fucking done.

Also, this is me trying to brainstorm half the time:

me: Time to nail down the plot for the last third of this book. Or book three, even. What have you got for me?
    brain: Nothing, but... *sliding proposal across the table* Have you considered these six dozen possible scenarios in which the two leads might make out?
    me: THIS IS NOT HELPFUL. THEY DON'T DO THAT UNTIL LATER.
    brain: Are you sure? How about in the next scene?
    me: NO
    brain: What about the one after that?
    me: NO

So anyway, the teeth-pulling chapters. There are three of them. And my goal is to get them drafted by the time I leave for vacation in 1.5 weeks. Ugh, as I type this it suddenly feels a little too ambitious. Two out of three...?

Then, a nice break while I'm on vacation, and hopefully I will return with renewed enthusiasm and some ideas that don't involve making out. Or any other funny business.

2. Dragon Turtle

Today I will finish Teeth Pulling Chapter #1. It's about halfway done, I would say. All the conflict is internal which might is kind of a problem. But layering in new conflict is something I find fairly easy to do on revision, so... I'll leave that for Later-Turtle to fix.

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

But

(hear me out)

(this is just a suggestion)

what if they did, though.

Shenanigator and Dragon Turtle like this.
  4. Dragon Turtle

GET OUT

(I can't wait to torture you with all the scenes where they're arguing and get up in each other's faces)

CoyoteKing and Shenanigator like this.
  5. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Senior Member

Yeah, I've had a few of those screeching halts. Hang in there, they're not permanent!

Your brain knows you want to have them done before you go on vacation, and it's effing with you. Mine does that, too. The trick is to try to relax and fool your brain into thinking you don't care. (Much easier said than done.)

Dragon Turtle likes this.
  6. Dragon Turtle

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm deep down paranoid that I'm going to lose all motivation for this project. :meh: Screw you, brain, for effing with me.

Shenanigator likes this.
  7. Shenanigator

I know, me too. I have notebooks of abandoned fiction, and I'm determined to see this book, and my next one, through to the end. We can do this! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

8. Dragon Turtle

Update: Finished the chapter! It was drop by drop, adding a few paragraphs at a time throughout the day. But hey, I think this progress journal thing actually works, since I probably would have called it a day before I was done if I hadn't been thinking about this thread. :p

I'm afraid the chapter is a disaster, but... eh, that's Later-Turtle's problem.

CoyoteKing and Shenanigator like this.
  9. Dragon Turtle

I have a lot to do the next couple days, much of it work-related, although I don't actually have to go to work so I should have time to devote my undivided attention to writing. That's assuming I can concentrate with my neck all fucked up. :/ Anyway, I'm aiming to have Teeth-Pulling Chapter #2 done by tomorrow night. Would be nice to start on it today but I might try to get all my other obligations out of the way today instead and hope I'm feeling better by tomorrow. I'm also sick. I miiiight have to take it easy on myself and revise my pre-vacation goals. Phooey.

John-Wayne and Shenanigator like this.
  10. Dragon Turtle

Well, my neck is better today, but my cold is worse. Still gonna attempt to knock that chapter out. Don't have much else to do anyway besides lie on the couch and moan. :p

Shenanigator likes this.
  11. Dragon Turtle

Oh, god. It's happening. I've officially reached the stage of this draft where I realize it's one huge piece of crap and there's no point in continuing. :supercry:

Not even the promise of future makeout scenes is helping. Shit's bad.

izzybot and CoyoteKing like this.
  12. Shenanigator

Don't do anything about that until you're over your cold. Being sick fogs the brain, and there's probably stuff in there that's salvagable. Set it aside and come back to it with fresh eyes when you're feeling better. Trust me on this one. There will be something in there you can use. A scene. Dialogue. Something. All will not be lost.

Hang in there! I hope you feel better soon!

13. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

hEY HEY HEY.

If this ever gets published, I’m gonna write high school AU romance fan fiction about it. I mean, I don’t think that’s an incentive, I’m just letting you know. Finish plz. I have plans.

If you abandon this book, I’m gonna write if FOR you. And you will not enjoy the result.

14. Dragon Turtle

Yeah... I think I'm going to have to take this day off after all. My mind is too foggy to concentrate anyway. Thank you so much for the encouragement!
    On the contrary, this is amazing incentive. I've always dreamed of having my own fandom.

...but I am also really curious to know what you would do with the story if you took it over. Other than making Miko and Taji rail each other for days on end. Man, as I'm typing that, it sounds great, doesn't it? I have a slight fever; I'm not thinking clearly. I swear I wanted more out of this story at some point, if only I could remember...

Shenanigator likes this.
  15. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

Man, that's a great question. I hadn't actually considered it. You know, I'd probably just try to imitate what you were doing, to be honest.
    • I wouldn't have Miko or Taji get together for ages. I'd probably invent reasons to keep them apart, in fact. Maybe Taji wistfully starts to realize he likes Miko, but he dismisses it, because Miko is so precious and unspoiled and perfect.
    • That guy that I liked who died... he'd come back, for sure.
    • Probably lots of kidnapping, rooftop chases, mistaken identities, sword fights, ect.
    • In the first book, Taji, Miko, and Thea all acted pretty independently. It'd be cool to see them developing into a team. Taji comes up with the crazy plans... Thea provides the common sense... and Miko provides the raw magic.
    • In the first book, I really liked the part where Taji lost his shit after he found out someone tried to kill Miko. So I'd probably try to build on that somehow in the next book. Maybe Miko is captured, and the prince fakes Miko's execution... but keeps Miko secretly alive, hidden in a secret dungeon behind locked doors and secret passageways. The prince brings Miko food every day, of course... but sometimes he's busy and forgets. Miko fights to stay calm, to find a way to escape. Each day the prince forgets about him, he's terrified, thinking the prince might've simply forgotten about him and left him to starve to death in the dark.
    • Meanwhile--The prince slowly considers what to do with him. How to get the most benefit out of this situation. How to use Miko.
    • Meanwhile-- Taji thinks Miko is dead and is slowly losing his mind. Thea, meanwhile, somehow discovers that her brother is alive, and has to race to go rescue him.
    • Or it could work the other way around. If Miko thought Taji was dead, somehow, it'd be cool to see Miko go on a magical rampage, dealing as much damage as he can with his weird magical abilities.
    • Maybe there's a storm and the dungeons flood. Maybe Miko almost drowns in his lonely little cell. Then, of course, Thea arrives with the key at the last moment, diving underwater to unlock the cell door. Pulling her unconscious, half-drowned brother out of the flooded cell.
    • Or maybe Taji rescues him. Of course, there'd have to be an incredibly tense, agonizing reunion scene. Taji finds Miko's cell, but there's a locked door between them. Taji just wants to throw his arms around him, but can't. He can't even see Miko, just hear him.
    • There's also a lot of good potential with Miko and Thea's parents. Miko and Thea might want to send them money, or help them, or contact them at some point-- but Miko is a fugitive now. And obviously no one can know that Miko and Thea's parents are the lowest caste, so if Miko or Thea did visit, it might put everyone in danger. There's some good potential there.
    So yeah. I'd probably just imitate what you were doing.

yup. That's what I'd do with it. Kidnapping, fake deaths, emotional torture, teamwork, big rescue scenes.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Shenanigator likes this.
  16. Dragon Turtle

Nice. This made me really want to incorporate a fake death plotline. Need more dramatic rescues, for sure. I think book 3 will go heavy on those. (If I ever get there *self-pitying sob*)

Also I'm glad you mentioned Miko and Thea's parents because I keep forgetting they exist, lol. I have to be careful not to totally let them drop off the map.

There is more teamwork for sure! In particular I love having Taji and Thea team up, because they're complete jerkasses to each other but in the "we love the same person so we have to work together" kind of way.

Anyway, thank you for the post. It kind of got me feeling excited again.

Shenanigator and CoyoteKing like this.
  17. Dragon Turtle

You were totally right, @Shenanigator. I'm feeling much better today, the fog in my head cleared, and LO. I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN HOW TO WRITE.

(This happens to me with every book, usually multiple times, but normally I don't get so melodramatic about it. I blame the fever.)

I either just finished or made solid progress on Teeth-Pulling Chapter #2! I can't decide which, because I might end the chapter right where it is, or I might add another little scene. I'll have to think about it. Or maybe just try the scene out and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll have a chance to do that tomorrow, but tomorrow is D&D day and I also have some cleaning and errands I need to get done before I leave on my trip, so I'm not making any promises to myself. It does help that Sunday is usually a gym day but I get to skip gym on account of my strained muscle. :p

Anyway, feels good to get something on the page after being stuck for a week.

18. Dragon Turtle

Oh and the funny thing is, it turned out to not be that teeth-pully after all. I swear, I've been sitting on this thing for weeks and it was really actually fun once I got into it. (It's for the best, though, since during those weeks I came up with some better ideas for how it should go.)

Shenanigator likes this.
  19. Dragon Turtle

Readers love riveting descriptions of the nuanced differences between two languages' sound systems, right?

This is my book, god damn it, and I reserve the right to fill at least one page with linguistic nerdery! Everyone else can DEAL!

Shenanigator likes this.
  20. Shenanigator

Yep, that's pretty much who you should blame! I'm not a doctor, but I think it's probably the body's flight or fight response that makes us freak out and make rash decisions (or not be able to make them at all) when we're sick. God knows I've inflicted damage on mine when I've been sick that I've had to edit later. Glad you're feeling better!

Regarding it being your book, so you can fill at least one page with linguistic nerdery...I'm with you! There's a page in my current WIP (Alexei) where I go all music geek about a band who was popular at the time.

21. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

You could write an entire chapter describing a burlap sack and I'd probably still read it.

I'm biased tho.

22. Dragon Turtle

You can't just say that and then not tell which band it is. :D
    I'm gonna hold you to this when I introduce my new POV character, the burlap sack where Taji keeps all the junk he's trying to sell. (You know, I bet it's actually a really interesting place...)

John-Wayne likes this.
  23. Shenanigator

LOL! Unintentional teaser! I'll post it on my Progress Journal. I needed a topic for today anyway.

24. Dragon Turtle

Back from vacation, very tired and out of it from the time change... but psyched to start writing again once my brain's working.

For the first half of the trip I didn't think about my book at ALL, except an occasional "oh yeah" moment. That was weird. But then, one day it started to trickle back into my mind. Since I was in Paris, I reimagined the whole thing with the characters as bohemians in turn of the century Montmartre. Sure, the plot's totally different, and like there's no magic or anything, but you know, close enough. There was a cabaret and poetry and absinthe and nude paintings, the whole shebang.

What is my book actually about, again??

Shenanigator likes this.
  25. Shenanigator

Ohhhhh Paris! I've still never been. It's on the list...

I hope your vacation was fabulous and that the jet lag goes away quickly and leaves you well-rested soon!

ETA: So I guess right now you're a Draggin' turtle? :D