Dragon Turtle's Progress Journal (it rhymes! sort of!)

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Dragon Turtle, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Senior Member

I managed to recreate it... or at least most of it... and it didn't actually take me as long as I feared. Still have the nagging feeling I forgot something.

Music is absolutely vital! I don't often find songs that are a good fit lyrically, there's usually just something about the energy or feel of it that gets me going. Consequently there are a lot of rather odd choices on my writing playlists. But you know, whatever works. :supergrin:

Shenanigator and BlitzGirl like this.
  2. Dragon Turtle

Adding "grow up and learn to write a real sex scene" to my to-do list. :cry:

3. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Member

Ahahahaha, those can be...um, interesting...! Wish you luck!

Shenanigator and Dragon Turtle like this.
  4. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

When you learn how, tell me, because I still haven’t figured it out.

izzybot and Shenanigator like this.
  5. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Car Crash With A Suitcase And A Painted Face

So glad you were able to recover at least most of it. Playlists are vital for me too. I have one for each MC's favorite songs.

Writing your first sex scene is way better than the IRL first one. It's scary at first, but you're really happy once you get the hang of it. Oh wait... :D

Really, you got this.

Dragon Turtle likes this.
  6. Dragon Turtle

PUH-LEASE. I've actually been thinking like "I know how a good hot sex scene should read thanks to @CoyoteKing. But this isn't that kind of book..."

That's my problem, though. I feel like I've only seen a decent number of examples from two extremes: vague fade-to-black-ish descriptions common in YA, and all out smut. Well, and the disgustingly blunt kind of stuff George R.R. Martin is infamous for. I don't know how to do "descriptive in a way that isn't awful to read but also not hot and steamy" which is what I think would fit this series.

I actually bought the ebook Diana Gabaldon has about writing sex scenes. I haven't read any of her novels, but it had promising reviews. And I've already learned a lot so far! Like she says ". . . while you can mention lust in a sex scene, describing it at any great length is like going on about the pattern of the wallpaper in the bedroom. Worth a quick glance, maybe, but essentially boring." *quietly deletes the two paragraphs I spent trying to get across the reader YO THIS CHARACTER IS HORNY*

Shenanigator likes this.
  7. Shenanigator

I'm a fan of description in most cases about other things, but I agree with her about this. Lust is primal. Primal things aren't wordy. Think of what you think to yourself or say to your friends: "I want him." "OMG that guy is hot." Not a hell of a lot of words there. :D The trick is finding just the right few. ETA: Also, PMing you.

8. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

Yeah, that’s true.

I think you need to sit down and actually think about what you’re trying to accomplish with the sex scene. Ask yourself what the point is. Then... do that. Do the thing.

(That’s my million-dollar advice. :p)

I’m trying to think of some good books with non-erotic sex scenes, but I can’t.

9. Dragon Turtle

I mean, that IS solid advice. Currently I have 2 sex scenes in the book. One of them develops character and advances the plot. The other is just... there. I decided I have to delete it. I only wrote it because I thought "Would these people want to have sex at this time? Yes. Yes they would," and therefore they did. Pointless.

I think a good clue for me is whether or not I can figure out what should happen immediately after. In Sex Scene A, the scene continues on after and the plot keeps going. The sex fits right in. Sex Scene B I had to fade to black because I could not figure out what should come after. I just cut to something totally different. That seems like a sign it didn't accomplish anything.

Shenanigator and CoyoteKing like this.
  10. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Member

I have written a few sex scenes in my stories (but, of course, none of my stories are finished and I haven't shared most of them with people because of that reason), and, yeah, it's either fade to black or at least a little descriptive, depending on the type of audience the story is for as well as whether the scene shows the reader anything about plot or character. When I have described stuff, I keep the descriptions to a bare minimum, and have it be short and sweet. I think that sex scenes are the type of topic in a novel that can easily lose all meaning the more descriptive you get and the longer the scene goes on for.

I'm glad you're figuring it out, though! I know I still struggle with writing things like that sometimes, and it was a huge challenge trying to write an intimate scene between two of my young female characters. Thankfully, it being written in first person meant I only had to really worry about what the main character thought and felt about it all. *shrug*

Shenanigator and Dragon Turtle like this.
  11. Dragon Turtle

I think this is a good policy to go by, generally. To be honest, I'm pushing myself because I get too embarrassed to write graphic sex. And that just doesn't fit with the rest of my style. I can describe mutilated corpses in graphic detail, but the idea of writing the word "nipple" makes me blush. I need to get over it, lol. So I'm not aiming to go 0 to 60 here, just... you know... maybe 0 to 45.

Shenanigator and BlitzGirl like this.
  12. Dragon Turtle

Finished part 1! :cheerleader:

I feel SO much better about it, omg. I'm withholding further judgment until I finish the whole draft and read it again, but I definitely think it was a good choice rearranging the chapters. Now it sort of reads like its own little novella. I ended up ditching my plan to revise each character's chapters separately, since I realized that was a big part of my problem to begin with: they felt disconnected from each other. So instead I just went through in order and tied it all together with a (hopefully) cohesive story.

I kicked The Thea Problem in the butt, too. She was totally the breakout character. I always thought of Taji as being the "main character" of this part, but come to think of it, all the biggest turning points revolve around Thea. I think she might slightly edge him out for the highest word count now, too.

And now, time to go catch up with Miko in part 2. This should be much more straightforward. No major rewrites, just some cosmetic stuff and gaps to fill in.

Shenanigator, zoupskim and BlitzGirl like this.
  13. Shenanigator

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

14. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

I’m glad to hear Thea’s arc is doing well. I’m excited to see it.

15. Dragon Turtle

brain: I have an idea for fixing the climax of Part 2. Let's make it even MORE outlandish than it already was.
    me: Uh, let's not.
    brain: No, that's what we're gonna do. Here we go!
    me: :meh:

16. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

Ah, yes. The classic “maybe the reader won’t notice all the plot holes if I distract them with enough explosions” strategy.

I like that strategy.

izzybot, BlitzGirl and Dragon Turtle like this.
  17. Dragon Turtle

AND THEY ALWAYS NOTICE, DON'T THEY? Goddamn beta readers don't let you get away with anything.

:wtf:

Shenanigator and CoyoteKing like this.
  18. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

Idk. You know that chapter I wrote where Dane and Salem have crazy hate-sex for like a week straight?

There’s a minor plot hole in there. Nobody noticed so I just left it in.

:whistle:

19. Dragon Turtle

Omg I really want to know what it is now. But I will admit, "Dane and Salem having crazy hate-sex for a week straight" is pretty show-stopping. Who's got time to notice plot holes when that's going on.

Shenanigator likes this.
  20. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Senior Member

It’s pretty minor. I'll PM you. I don't want to fill your public journal with filth.

21. Dragon Turtle

This seemingly innocuous item on my to-do list:

-that woods scene

...took me, if I'm counting right, about seven hours in total to fix. Holy crap. Normally I don't track revision time, but I am this month because of Camp Nano. That's definitely the most I've spent on a single chapter so far.

It's a really important chapter, and I wanted it to be really cool. It had better be good this time.

Anyways, I'm over halfway through the book now!

BlitzGirl and izzybot like this.
  22. Dragon Turtle

Parts 2 and 3 are done!

Now onto Part 4, which falls into the same "Big Ol' Honkin' Mess" category as Part 1. Oy.

izzybot likes this.