1. Elyse Elwood

Elyse Elwood New Member

Could this Work? Fantasy Story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Elyse Elwood, Jul 8, 2008.

Ok, I have yet to name my one charactar, she's the narratour though. She moves with her family to this place where there's a mix of the supernatural and humans. I'm thinking maybe a portal or something and there's this constant battle between them becuase they can never agree. There are the humans who I currently am calling Slayers then there's supernatual creatures in general. Well there's a prohpacy about this apocalypse but there's a way of stopping (which only the humans know about) and it's the narratour. So she gets sucked into this and prepares with the Slayers to fight. There is this mysterious creature who is supposed to arrive soon. It turns out to be this handsome young man (or at least he looks young, I think, haven't decided yet) named Jasper. Before anybody realizes who he is the narratour and him fall in love. She realizes something is up along with her Slayer friends because he always wears long sleeves, pants and gloves. If you touches you he sort of sucks the power out of you or spreads a disease...still deciding (suggestions would be lovely, too). And that's about as far as I got. Help? Anybody intrested...suggestions please

2. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

anything could work, any plot, any story, any scenario (within reason) would make a good story if it were written well enough. The reverse is also true, no matter how awesome an idea for a story you have, if the writing itself is executed poorly then it's going to be garbage.

hope that helped

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I agree. It's all down to how you come at it. Start writing, and see what you think, or post some up in the review room for us to have a look at.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

5. PobPob

PobPob New Member

I think the above post sums it up perfectly, it's not about the idea so much as the delivery.

One small bit of help I can offer is that it's spelt 'narrator' and 'prophecy' just incase those words crop up in your story.

6. draciaveil

draciaveil New Member

These sound like interesting ideas. The part about the guy wearing long sleeves because he can suck away people's energy, though, sounds a little too much like Rogue in X-men to me. Try to think of a twist you can put on his condition that will be uniquely yours.

7. roblutter

roblutter New Member

i disagree to an extent. i believe that the idea, the concept - the more powerful and fundamental this is and the more simple it is the better the story - whether u can write or not - in fact u could literally be writing as if it were to your mate - but if the concept is there and haunting/moving/chilling/shocking enough etc. it will shine thru.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In my opinion, no plot can carry lackluster writing, and good writing can turn a walk to the mailbox into a brilliant story.

Asking people for opinioons about a plot or storyline of a story not yet written is nearly always counterproductive.