1. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

Dream catchers in the 10:th century

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by LazyBear, Jun 15, 2018.

I'm trying to write about the Mayan people from 960 ac (right after their classic era), but all the new-age sites selling fake dream catchers, post-columbus word uses, and incorrect rumors about native Americans are making serious fact research difficult. Hard enough that names of their old gods are often missing and the modern Mayan language is quite different from the old one.

Central America is far from Ojibwe, but would you find dream catchers as a common item among Mayans at the time?

2. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

3. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Active Member

These books may or may not be able to answer your question but they could well help you with their bibliography in order to find the information you're looking for or at the least allow you to make a somewhat educated guess as to the presence, or lack of a presence, of dream catchers in post-Classical Maya civilization.

https://www.amazon.com/Daily-Life-Maya-Civilization-2nd/dp/0313351295/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529254687&sr=8-3&keywords=daily+life+ancient+maya

https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Life-Ancient-Maya-World/dp/0195183630/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1529254545&sr=8-13&keywords=ancient+maya

And skip the New Age stuff. I can't think of anything that you'd find that a good, well researched, book wouldn't tell you and you'll look better when referencing the proper book.

LazyBear likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

How far north did the Maya travel, or how far south did the Ojibwe go?

It seems pretty clear that the craft originated with the Ojibwe, but possibly it spread via trade/travel? Bit of a stretch, but...

5. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

I'll probably get the books, since they might offer some inspiration.

6. Beloved of Assur

Sounds like a plan. If for no other reason they are probably fascinating reading about an interesting culture.

7. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

After reading the book about their daily life (3 hours long), including how most of their books were burned by the Spanish, there was not much mention of their daily equipment. I'll probably have to read the entire Popol vuh if I'm going to begin scratching the surface.

Beloved of Assur likes this.
  8. Beloved of Assur

Yeah, taking an a whole culture which would be very different from one's own requires a lot of research. Although the end results can be fantastic. :)

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The Popol Vuh doesn’t have this information. I’ve never seen any evidence of them having dream catchers.

LazyBear likes this.
  10. Mitchell garcia

Mitchell garcia New Member

Ojibwe didn't start doing dream catchers until well after the time period you're looking at. The Maya definitely didn't have them ( lived in Guatemala for a good minute. Many of the people there are mayan, nothing remotely like it in any museums or histories.)

LazyBear likes this.