1. danielphilbin

danielphilbin New Member

Dream story idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by danielphilbin, Jan 20, 2012.

Hey, I have a story idea for a novel but it doesn't seem really enough. I could change it to a short story, but I'm not sure that would work very well, either.
    Basically, it involves multiple people sharing the same dream and being able to interact with each other and remember it after they wake up. I'm not sure exactly what potential this story has, however and I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas as to what I could do with this.
    So far, I thought maybe two people could fall in love through these dreams and are now looking for each other.
    Any other ideas?

2. Cacian

Cacian Banned

This is a cool idea.
    I think researching dreams could be one.
    I wrote a short story entailing dreams here it is:
    https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=48919

The way I approached it from dreaming to reality with objects.
    To get two people sharing the same dream is quite tricky but it is very possible.
    Maybe have them dream that they have to travel somewhere or go and find something and whilts the time and date is set in the dream they all turn up at the same time and meet and embark on a journey to solve the dream mystery.

3. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter New Member

Well, how they're getting together is important. Like are they strangers that find themselves in the same dream more than once, or are they friends getting together experimenting with dreams? You need a conflict to overcome, so there can be a story. Perhaps they get stuck in the dream, or one friend goes insane and starts killing everyone. There have to be rules for your dream world, I would think. Perhaps if you die in the dream, you die in real life. Or the dream only lasts however long, or perhaps one person has a nightmare, and the other characters have to survive it.

I like these ideas, haha. I'd read them in a story. I'd like to know how this story comes about for you, and read it if you ever make anything of it. :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your story, your ideas. Choose one of the possibilities that intrigues you, and write it. Play with the variations, develop the story, make it interesting.

You'll never develop your imagination by asking others to give you ideas. Trust your own creativity.