Drunken Moments

Discussion in 'Research' started by Elgaisma, Aug 21, 2010.

1. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I propose that no one should respond to this thread, unless they are drunk. Maybe I'll start a "drunk thread" in the lounge. lol.

2. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Ok, as I understand it, people have very different emotional reactions to drinking.

Some feel great - they become spontaneous and have the time of their life. All troubles vanish. I've met a few alcoholics who react this way to alcohol.

Others become sad - all buried sadness and grief well up to the surface, like regrets, loneliness and shame. These people tend to talk about feelings when they get drunk, put their arm around you and tell you what a great friend you are.

Others can experience anxiety, anger or other feelings. In short, when people get drunk, the feelings they have to bury inside well up to the surface. On one or two occasions, I've also felt an unexpected calm upon getting drunk - as if a sheath of glass had been raised between myself and the world.

When you start drinking, your perceptions can at first seem a little clearer - colours are a little brighter, sounds a little crisper, etc. After a while, your inhibitions become weaker. You may still understand the implications of being unfaithful, insulting the boss, or bathing naked in a fountain - but they don't seem so important. When you get more drunk, you may also notice how your movements become clumsy and your reaction time longer. But I've never noticed any diminishing of cognitive ability when drunk - only impaired judgment, reaction time and motor skills.

Personally, I always notice when I start getting drunk, but I understand that may be atypical.

3. MindscrewMin

MindscrewMin New Member

I know someone who becomes a social train-wreck after one shot, slurring her words and falling all over people, but somehow she becomes a beast at Calculus.

4. RobT

RobT Active Member

It really depends . . . Some people can get drunk on two, or three pints, others ten or twelve. Some people become violent when they've had a drink, others tend to love everyone around them! Although depending on the company, and circumstances the lover can become the fighter he isn't, if called upon to help his mates out.

Personally I tend to fall asleep. If I've had "one beer past drunk", then I have been known to lay on my knees with my head down the toilet retching for all it's worth.

I've only ever been drunk to the point of being totally out of it twice, the first time I remember waking in the early hours and stumbling around to go the toilet, which I thought i'd achieved only to find in the morning that I'd actually pissed and **** on a bean bag in my room! The second time was watching England play Germany in the European championship where I drank, beer, wine, champagne and vodka. I never saw the second half and spent the entire night in the recovery position in the upstairs toilet (thanks to my wife). The following morning I had the mother of all hangovers and felt rough all day and professed that "I'll never do it again", and in all fairness I haven't. These days I know when to stop, and never get past merry.

5. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

Oh, and I forgot to add - that one time I was drunk I also thought I had super strength :D
    I tried to pull my friend away from the computer to let her sister go online and I was kinda strong, so I concluded that I must be super strong.