1. Aerisfullofwhimsy

Aerisfullofwhimsy Member

Punctuation ? How do I show an email/statement in fiction?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Aerisfullofwhimsy, Oct 21, 2015.

This is sort of embarrassing but I have a question regarding how to show an email or statement (something written) in a story.
    Here's a terrible example on what I am trying to ask:

Tommy didn't hear from Jason after the eating contest from the night before. He began to worry and thought of calling. But he did not need to because Jason's girlfriend sent him an email later that night.

Dear Tommy,
    After the pop rock candy eating contest last night, Jason came home and drank a 2 liter of Mountain Dew. He began to shake badly and then exploded into a million pieces. It may be a closed coffin, we are not sure yet. I will write again later for funeral information and dates.
    Thanks, Jason's Girlfriend
    P.S- Can you quickly design a seagull motif to be engraved on his tombstone?

Tommy began immediately working on the motif.

--So how do I format this? Do I " " it, or do I em dash it front and back? From those that I have spoke to here personally, you will not be surprised by ignorance on these sorts of things. For those that were not aware of this (it's obvious from my past posts though), sorry for the lack of know-how.
    Any help is appreciated. o_O

Oh wait, would the same be done to written statements in news articles? Like:
    Blah, blah, blah, Blah, issued a a written statement yesteday:
    Blah.
    Yay! We won the war!

2. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

I just change the font and the alignment a little bit.

So your excerpt might look like:

Tommy didn't hear from Jason after the eating contest from the night before. He began to worry and thought of calling. But he did not need to because Jason's girlfriend sent him an email later that night.

Dear Tommy,

After the pop rock candy eating contest last night, Jason came home and drank a 2 liter of Mountain Dew. He began to shake badly and then exploded into a million pieces. It may be a closed coffin, we are not sure yet. I will write again later for funeral information and dates.

Thanks, Jason's Girlfriend

P.S- Can you quickly design a seagull motif to be engraved on his tombstone?

Tommy began immediately working on the motif.

If you squint, you can almost see the border of the imaginary page the character is reading. Or PC screen, or phone, or whatever.

Just how I do it. :bigwink:

3. Aerisfullofwhimsy

Aerisfullofwhimsy Member

Thank you very much, this really helped and it this simplifies it in a way my brain can remember and understand. I have wanted to ask this question for awhile, it's been bugging me a while, so thanks again.

Imaginarily likes this.
  4. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

You're very welcome, @Aerisfullofwhimsy . :-D Glad I could help.

Aerisfullofwhimsy likes this.
  5. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I do block quotes and italics

Like this

Aerisfullofwhimsy likes this.