1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Taking the prophecy out of my fantasy story lol

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Elgaisma, Jul 24, 2010.

My story is complete and I am happy with it except for couple of items, after reading a couple of threads on here I would like to try it without the prophecy.

1) It will have to stay in my Christian Pilgrim element as I have a Noah type character that builds a Spaceship 'Ark'

2) It only appears in three areas with my main character, two I can easily removed it just by taking the sections out, which tells me its not that crucial to the story lol. The only area is during a meditation and he meets the leader of the monastery in it, he's never seen him before because of corruption in the monarchy they have been cloistered during my main character's lifetime. Would it still be overdone, if no prophecy is mentioned but the monk seems to know something is about too happen, he can feel it in his waters? And if the characters that are set up waiting for things to change but they don't know how, they just have faith the universal powers will find a way?

3) How does my seventeen year old girl convince her Father she is to marry her adoptive cousin without a prophecy to ease the way lol? This is the only one I can see struggling. Both my Prince and the girl that is about to become his Queen are still at school taking their exams. But my Queen is crucial to the plot?

2. Donal

Donal New Member

Hi Elgaisma,

I think you made a big call. Only do it if it's what you want. As to your concerns about the girl convincing her father to let her marry, this is the area I think you need a "prophecy" least of all. Use persuasive language, have the girl appeal to his emotions, show the teenager acting out maybe even self harming. There are dozens of ways of achieving this without a her saying that a prophecy told her to do it.

3. Elgaisma

I'm just going to rewrite bits without if it doesn't work as well the prophecy stays lol Bit more info my Prince has a been a little sod for most of his teenage years and the Father is less than impressed his own son is being led astray. They have the timeframe of a dinner to convince him. She is not the self harming type lol maybe persuasion would work, she has a good arguement as to why

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Many court marriages are arranged. Could the cousin be favored by a faction that threatens to split from the kingdom? An arranged mariage might appease the dissidents.

5. Elgaisma

not really they are very much 2010 style teen, my story is set in a place and time comparable to our own in many ways. And she isn't pregnant lol Imagine your daughter convincing you, that she going to marry this complete numbskull, who maybe about to be King but only yesterday skiived school, and had a fight, only reason he survived the assassination attempt on the Royal Family is because he was grounded. The current job of Queen is not safe.

Yes he is the nephew of the Father who has to be convinced and they usually have a good relationship, despite the Prince's behaviour. The girl herself is sensible, strong willed, intelligent and is offering to do it because the country needs a Queen to fight the corruption.