1. Garfiun

Garfiun New Member

What way to take my novel?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Garfiun, Jul 22, 2010.

An adopted magical person gets given the chance of re-becoming a magical person but has to completely give up his current life to attend the magical school.

A non-magical person has found out of the magical peoples existence and steels the identity of one and lives out the persons life.

I was going to do it school based but after the second one popped into my mind whilst shopping I now can't decide. :confused:

So could anyone help in my decision and point me towards the more feasible option.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope. You really need to work such fundamental story elements out for yourself.

Feeding you ideas will NOT help you become a better writer.

3. bumblebot

bumblebot New Member

It's impossible to tell from such a short description which one would be the better direction. Also, the best anyone else can really do is give their personal opinion and/or help find weaknesses in the plot. If you are a good writer with a good idea, then I think either option would be good, just in a different way.

It sounds like you have a fictional universe and you are trying to decide whether or not to limit the story to occurring just inside the school, or in the larger world, right? It wouldn't hurt to explore the whole world in writing, if just so you know what it's like.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

They can both turn out equally good/bad, depending on how you write it.

Answer the following questions for BOTH of your proposed scenarios:

1) Do you have a good developed storyline: a basic idea of your beginning, middle, end.

2) Suplots and key events that would propel the story.

3) Main conflicts/struggles

etc.

Whichever one you are able to develop better, go with that one.

5. Garfiun

Garfiun New Member

This is what Im thinking if I limit it to being in school thats all I can do, but creating a whole world I could write more and open more writing oppertunities.

6. bumblebot

bumblebot New Member

Right. I think even if you decide never to venture outside the school, you and the reader should have an idea of what kind of world the school exists in- the backgrounds that created the characters in it, the environment and history that led the school itself being founded, and so on.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Just because it's in a school doesn't mean that the characters can't venture out to places outside the school. For example, in Harry Potter the characters go to Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, the Burrow, etc even though the story mainly takes place at Hogwarts School.