1. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Dubai... Needing some help!

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by hawky94, Jan 12, 2014.

Hi all,

This section of my novel is set in Dubai.

I'm writing it from 1st-person point-of-view, and my MC is going to meet an asset. But, I'm in need of some help when it comes to, a) the location of this meeting. Isolation is what we're after here - since I'm going to have a bit of a shoot-out between my MC, Asset (and Asset's security team), and unknown opposition. And b) Actually describing a busy street in Dubai, the people, the smells, the surroundings - cars, etc.

Can anyone offer any help?

Cheers,

Jack.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why don't you google for websites that have forums/chat options for those living there... you should be able to connect with someone who'll be happy to give you the skinny on the place from a first-hand, on the scene pov...

3. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

That's a great idea, and one I hadn't previously thought of.

Cheers! :)

4. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Just remember, Dubai in the UAE, is continuously becoming innovative because of the oil industry. The culture is still the same in the area, just the environment is more modernized than the areas surrounding it.

5. SweetOrbMace

SweetOrbMace Member

Hi Jack, I live in Dubai can give you some pointers if you like (also new to the forum - hello).

First there are few places in Dubai (the city) itself which I would describe as particularly isolated. You could consider the more industrial areas (if you are interested I can give you names and more detailed descriptions) which are within the city limits. They aren't isolated so much, but there are fewer people around.

The other option is to take your action outside the city a bit and into the desert. I would say you have four options there: 1. The desert itself (i.e. sand dunes etc.); 2. A luxury hotel (again can provide names, descriptions if you are interested); 3. One of the tiny agricultural/roadside villages that are out there (these are generally very poor with the odd mansion incongruously nearby), or; 4. An oil/gas installation.

Hope this helps, If you want more details just let me know.

6. Revilo87

Revilo87 Member

Hey Jack, don't be afraid to make up your own locations either. Many authors do this when writing fiction. Just think of all the books, tv shows, and movies that feature New York City but make up street names, cafe locations, etc. As long as you get the general stuff such as landmarks correct it will sound authentic enough.
    For instance, if your character was staying at the Burj Khalifa, you could go into detail about the actual tower and say he is staying at "Armani Hotel Dubai," a hotel designed by Giorgio Armani located inside the the Burj Khalifa itself. Then b/c you went into great detail about the tower, hotel, etc, the reader is going to believe that you know what you are talking about, and your fictional meeting location later on will seem believable as well.

E.G. Your character is going to meet the asset at a cafe called "Al Amir" or "Al Hafez" 20 minutes east of the Burj Khalifa/hotel by car. You can throw in a sentence describing what he sees along away but you don't have to give to much detail b/c you just provided a lot of detail describing the tower/hotel, and you're about to give plenty more describing the meeting the asset, from everything such as who the asset is to the food and interior decorating of the restaurant.