1. jazz_sue

jazz_sue New Member

re childrens' fiction section

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by jazz_sue, Sep 7, 2008.

Is there any 'cut-off' point for entries into the childrens fiction section here, re age range? I've got a few ideas for the older age group range (mainly because that's the age my own children are) i.e things that might appeal to Harry Potter readers. However, I've noticed a lot of the entries seem to be aimed below this level, and some things I'd consider older childrens' fiction have been found in the non-childrens areas (sci-fi etc) I guess it's a bit of a grey area, yes?

One small consideration for the mods: Perhaps it would be a good idea if the childrens' section were given a forum of its own, rather than being put in the fiction area. Kids' libraries have books of all kinds - poetry, non-fiction subjects etc - and I know for a fact that many children actually prefer poetry and 'serious' subjects to story books. At the moment, writers for children are constricted to just one area here. For example, I've drafted a couple of short history essays set at the level my nine year old would enjoy (on purpose, she's just come back from a 'Roman Holiday' and thinks she's still Queen Boudicca!) but I'm loathe to submit them to the non-fiction section, because this is aimed at adults and I'd need to put a lengthy explanation as to why my writing has suddenly become so childish. Ditto any poetry - I write a lot of kids' poems.

I'd be interested on other writers' views. Sorry this isn't in the 'suggestions box' - feel free to move it if you want!
    PS This looks like a good one for a poll, but I wasn't sure how to do this. Perhaps the mods could set one up for me? Thanks.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I would say around 12 years of age is the cut-off point between children's books and young adult books. Obviously, different children mature differently so 12 is just an arbitrary age that I feel is about right. So, yes, this is a gray area. I would say just write whatever you have in mind. Someone correct me, but I think the publisher is responsible for labeling what type of book it is (children's, young adult, sci-fi, etc). If you get it published, then you would need to take it up with the publisher.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is no cut off point. The categories are pretty arbitrary, and the only people you will have to justify your choice to (apart from massiveky inappropriate writing!) is teh reveiwers who will be applying the criteria they associate with that type of writing.

It's always to your best advantage to choose the most fitting category, but that's it.

For children's writing, it's always a good idea to indicate your target age group.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'd say the children's section includes everything from the youngest children's to the 'tweens' and teens markets, as it should... while YA may fall into the adult section, if targeting the oldest teens... as noted above, it's up to you and your intended audience, where to put your work...

and as cog says, be sure to note your age range target...