1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

Contest Winner! DueNorth wins the December 2016 contest!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Tenderiser, Jan 1, 2017.

Congratulations to @DueNorth who came first place with Alexander's Bear, a haunting story of a mother and son struggling through trauma in different ways.

Next in the running we have a tie:

@dbesim with Mother Snowman, an amusing tale of childhood revenge.

@Fernando.C with The Von Catus Murders, the witty story of a talking cat trying to escape snowmen hit men.

Great crop of stories this month; well done everybody!

2. dbesim

dbesim Contributing Member

I'm thrilled for joint second place. I never get to be second place!

Congratulations @DueNorth for your chilling story, Alexander's Bear, a worthy win, and by some landslide!

Congrats too @Fernando.C, I'm honoured to have tied with you (I voted for your story). I thought it was funny, particularly when the mayor comes into it and then the twist that he's in on it and revelation that Von Catus is a cat with more lives. Poor thing.

Nice contest, and good use of the prompts all round!

Fernando.C and Tenderiser like this.
  3. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Contributor

Well done, everyone, and congratulations to the winners! I enjoyed reading the entries :)

dbesim and Fernando.C like this.
  4. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Active Member

Congratulations @DueNorth for a very well-deserved win. I loved your story and voted for it, it was beautifully-written and as Tenderiser said haunting.

I'm happy to have came in second, considering the quality of the entries. Speaking of which congrats are in order to @dbesim, I couldn't more happy to share the second place with you. I really enjoyed your story, it was sweet and heartwarming, and I'm happy Amy got her revenge on Gareth :D. Oh and I'm glad you enjoyed my story and voted for it, thank you!
    For me it was a toss up between @dbesim and @DueNorth 's stories when it came to voting, it realy wasn't an easy choice to make.

Overall I really enjoyed this contest, it had a great prompt which lead to load of awesome entries and I enjoyed everyone of them. So well done everybody!

Mocheo Timo and dbesim like this.
  5. DueNorth

DueNorth Active Member

Fifth time is the charm! I've come close a couple other times and more than once have thought that I'm not entering another damn WF short story contest 'cuz there are just too damn many good writers out there--ain't fair! So, to go up against the likes uf @dbesim, @Fernando.C, @Alphonse Capone , and @matwoolf , all former winners, and pull off a victory, I am pleased that I took another shot at it.

I really puzzled about how to incorporate the prompt in a believable manner. I'm writing my novel in 3rd person multiple, and I first wrote this story in 3rd person--actually from the POV of Alerxander's therapist, but it felt too distant. So I rewrote the piece in first person from the mother's POV, and I learned a lot from doing it--which, to me, is what the challenge (and the forum) is all about. Thanks to all who took the time to read the entries and vote.

I just posted the piece in the workshop (crime and thriller). I am interested in feedback from those who didn't like it as well as those who did. Unlike a certain U.S. politician, I am well aware that, even though I won, a majority of the voters did not choose me/my story.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  6. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Active Member

Congratz @DueNorth for the win!
    I did not vote for your story since I was looking for something more outside-the-box-ish. As I saw it, associating a teddy bear with a child and the trigger with a police gun were the first thing that would come to anyone's mind. Still the story was very well written and the plot surely was compelling.

Congratz @dbesim and @Fernando.C
    I had in mind voting for Mother Snowman until I read the Von Catus one.
    Mother Snowman made a brilliant children's story. The choice of words, the plot, the flow, they were really good!
    The Von Catus one was my favorite though.
    It was the most outside-the-box kind of theme. I honestly had a blast reading it.
    I'm glad both stories got 2nd.

There was one other story I really liked, Shit Sometimes Happens.
    Whoever wrote the story, I must say congrats for a great job!
    In terms of plot it was the best one I read. I enjoyed it.

So true!
    The stories in this competition were great.
    It's quite intimidating to take part.
    I'm satisfied with 2 votes for Il Macchiato Down
    (I'm open for any comments and suggestions about the story if anyone's interested).
    That shiny medal on the avatar surely looks nice (and I certainly hope for one :D) but taking part in those competitions is somehow self-rewarding.
    I must say congratz for the WF team and @Tenderiser for doing a good job in organizing everything as well!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Tenderiser, dbesim and Fernando.C like this.
  7. Tenderiser

@Wreybies There's a sheeny shiny medal to be awarded :D

Mocheo Timo and Foxxx like this.
  8. 20oz

20oz Active Member

Should these contests be numbered again? What will happen when @Wreybies runs out of months? Dec-2?

9. Tenderiser

December 2016
    December 2017
    etc
    :D

10. 20oz

20oz Active Member

If I ever win, I want mine to say #1. Then everyone will make me their GOD! :twisted:

Also, congrats DueNorth. It was a very good entry. I enjoyed reading it.

DueNorth likes this.