1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

How Did You Guys Build Your Targeted Following?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by frigocc, Feb 25, 2019.

I understand the power of social media but get I won't be able to build a targeted following for my book(s).

Not really a person that can write short stories. Thought about posting my books in increments on Instagram, but that pretty much eliminates traditional publishing, which I want to consider doing.

Any other good ways to build up a targeted following of readers?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

The power of social media is pretty weak when it comes to selling books. There are thousands of thousands of authors all doing the same thing and diluting each other's efforts. Someone who pours a hell of a lot of time, money, or (worse) both into social media might make a hundred sales off it, but not much more. As always, there are lightning-rare exceptions.

The best way to sell a lot of books? Find a good publisher. Write the next book.

Harmonices, Matt E and John Calligan like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

If you are self publishing you need to advertise and build up your mailing list (and write your next book or three). The reach of organic social media to sell books cold is pretty minimal these days...it is good for networking with other authors and staying in touch with readers who have already discovered you (although a mailing list is better for the latter.)

Given that you haven't yet written book one you have the cart before the horse.

4. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

@Moose

when you say build up a mailing list, as a fiction writer, what would one write to the readers on the list?

I am subscribed to some non fiction writers, who write about personal improvement, and write emails about that every week.

As a fiction writer, I wonder what mail I would write to someone on my list that would make them want to buy my book?

5. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I strongly disagree with all of the above negative recommendations on social media marketing. Regular facebook posts won't do much, besides reach (and perhaps annoy, if done too frequently) your immediate following. Your challenge in self-marketing is to reach people who are NOT your followers and have never heard of you, but find your pitch interesting. There are two ways to reach them, one free, and one modestly expensive.'

The free way is to locate those FB pages that support authors and genres, such as Promote KD Books and various sites catering to your genre. Build a list of these sites' URLs, and compose an ad pitch (not necessarily your blurb, shorter is better) and attach the URL to your book on Amazon. Copy and paste it into your list of FB sites. Your ad pitch text will appear followed automatically by your book cover, clicking the image takes the reader to your Amazon page. Repeat this process several times a month. Some of these sites have reach in the 10s of thousands. You should be able to accumulate a hundred or more of these free sites, and do this process in just an hour or so hours. Be sure you read each site's rules for posts and abide by them. Some want ad posts only once a month, others on Fridays, etc. Others do not allow pitches, or only for free eBooks or for initial launches.

For money, you can build a boosted post on your author or book FB page. Some process but select a time period to run it, your audience location and demographics, and amount to pay ($10 and up to whatever you can afford). Be sure to add a shop now button, and try to be professional, because you are reaching strangers, don't just say "Buy my neat book about vampires". Please search FB for my pages, LewisMcIntyreAuthor and TheEagleAndTheDragon.

I also suggest dialing in to Chuck Bartok's weekly teleconference tailored to author promotions, Mondays, 6:30 PM Eastern, 1-605-562-0444, show id 13372#, userid 1#. Lots of good suggestions from other authors.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd strongly recommend Tammi Labreques book "Newsletter ninja" which goes into more detail but in short you are selling yourself as an author... most people do about one a month and include stuff like details of behind the scenes bits, links to photos from research trips (Its not a good idea to put the photos in the email itself), exclusive content... some people do extended epilogues (that's more of a romance thing, I don't because I write thriller), book recommendations (not your own, other authors), and a certain degree of personal info (obviously you have to draw a line somewhere)… and of course occasionally (but not in every mail) book releases.

The overarching idea is that you are building a relationship and making people into more invested fans rather than simply trying to sell your next book