Tags:
  1. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

Is writing a web serial a good idea?

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by Mouthwash, Jun 18, 2017.

I'm considering writing a web serial like John McCrae's Worm. There are two advantages I perceive in this:

1. Getting immediate feedback about my writing and what sort of attention it draws.

2. Developing writing experience without taking risks. I am not going to sink huge amounts of time into writing and publishing a novel on the off-chance that it will be the one that succeeds. That's a sucker's game if one ever existed.

Of course I will use Wordpress, unless there's a better site I haven't heard about.

Is this a reasonable strategy? I can always try publishing traditionally if I manage to make a name for myself. But McCrae is a lone success story, and I have no way of gauging how much attention a web serial should get (most of them listed here are terrible, so it's hard to draw conclusions).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I am planning on doing the same.
    The only risks I can see are theft and reuse of your work. To me it presents a ready made portfolio for any publishers if you decide to traditionally publish at a later date.
    I'll be watching this thread with interest.

3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I posted my first novel as a WIP on LiveJournal for about a year. I don't know that it made any different in publisher acceptance (because I did mention in my query that it had a small but loyal following online), but the critiques and feedback I got on the first draft absolutely made editing it to a second, submittable draft much easier. It was like having a whole bunch of betas in real time, and it worked fantastic for me.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I share chunks of my second (sequel) WIP on my blog, but they are very rough and
    are refined as I go.

Though I would not post an entire work of such a large scale to the masses.
    A short here or there sure. I have shared a complete short on another
    site with a subforums for that type of story. Though I am using my profile
    page to advertise my first novel, and my blog in addition too.
    Granted the theme for such a place is more Adult in nature, on cannot pass
    up an opportunity for free advertising. :D

5. Hervey_Copeland

Hervey_Copeland Member

I think it’s a good idea, provided you can attract readers to your site. Publicity is what determines whether you are successful or not.