1. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Queries/Submissions e-query manuscript format

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Garball, May 2, 2013.

Many agents I have sourced for my genre accept e-queries and request anywhere between first 20 pages to first three chapters of MS in the body of the email. Is that a cut and paste job using the same font, margin, spacing as you would a hard copy?

2. Al Stevens

Al Stevens New Member

It depends on what program you use to compose mail.

Some mail writer programs eat the indents so that the whole thing looks like one big paragraph. Send a copy to yourself first to see how it looks. If necessary insert an extra blank line between paragraphs.

Good luck.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, it depends more on what your agent specifies. It's perfectly valid to ask, if the request or the agent's site doesn't specify.

4. Skyless16

Skyless16 New Member

How to format an equery

Nathan Bransford, a former literary agent and author, wrote an article about this. It's veeerrry helpful. The link is below. Also, you should check out his forums. There's a section on query letters where you can get advice on yours. It's been really helpful for me.

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/03/how-to-format-query-letter.html

I don't know about for manuscripts though. I'm sure it's the same.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

submitting by email doesn't change the fact that mss should be in standard ms format, unless an agent/publisher states otherwise in their submission guidelines...

al's suggestion to send a sample to yourself first, is an excellent one... my hotmail account allows for retaining ms structure, font, etc., but not all email programs will do that...