20 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Job

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Storylover

Storylover New Member

Is writing hobby or Job ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storylover, Feb 6, 2011.

Mine Is hobby ,but I wish it to be Job!!

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Mine is a hobby that I am hoping to turn into a career.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

I write part-time for a living, but it's not fiction.

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

My writing is a hobby. I'm not sure if I'd like it to be a job or not...

5. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

My writing is more than just a hobby, but it's not a job right now. So I abstain from answering the poll. Just my own opinion, but I don't like calling my writing a hobby as I feel it's belittling of my passion for it.

6. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

In my opinion it is just a hobby up to the point when I can make more then extra pocket money from it.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'job' should be 'career'... or 'career' ['profession'?] should be added to the poll choices, since not all writers 'have a job' writing, which implies they're hired to do it and paid a salary...

and yes, i am being nit-picky!... but anyone serious about writing is, when it comes to word choices... and i'm sure those 2 choices don't fit everyone here...

i, for one, do not have a 'job' and i don't write as a 'hobby'... so i can't vote...

in my old life, i was a freelance writer and a writing consultant, so i wrote both as a 'career' [the former, being sometimes paid for my writings] and as a 'job' [the latter, as i wrote stuff for paying clients]... but it was not a 'hobby'...

now, i give away all i write, but it's as a 'profession' and still not a hobby, since it's the outflow of my 'day job' as a practicing philosopher... but because i don't get paid for it, i can't really classify it as a 'job'...

and i also write a lot while mentoring aspiring writers, which also is done for free, so also can't be called a job, but is more a 'vocation'...

so, do you see my problem with the poll?... :confused:

8. amateurvoice

amateurvoice New Member

Precisely why I chose 'hobby' for my vote. As it stands with school and my work writing is just a hobby for me currently. I'd like to change that though. Slowly, but surely the status will mature from hobby to a possible career venture for me. Hopefully anyways. :)

9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

couldn't agree more

10. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

I write as a job. It's hard work, but ultimately it's something I enjoy.

11. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Did you not capitalize your 'i's for a reason mamma ;)
    I think you may be slightly over-analyzing the question at hand. Given that the OP is a non-native English speaker I'm guessing she meant 'Do you write for money or pleasure?'. I could be wrong, but I like to pretend that I'm not :D

12. Jonias

Jonias Member

More than a hobby, less than a job. It's my passion, if that means anything. It is part of my soul. But I don't write for money, and I don't know if anyone would ever pay me to. I'm no Shakespeare, although I've got fans. But if I didn't write, I'd be on edge till I did, so I write and spare myself the torment.;)

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...yes!... same reason i don't capitalize my sentences or use periods between them... it's quicker/easier to write this way... but i only use this 'casual' method for posting, emails, and writing notes in the work sent me for editing/help... for all 'formal' purposes, i hew to the rules 'n regs...

...close to the same thing, really... and still doesn't allow me to vote...

14. litchickuk

litchickuk New Member

Even if you write for a living, it whould never feel like you HAVE to do it, so it should always be a hobby. If you get paid nicely for doing it, thats a bonus! A job is something tedious and unchallenging that you get paid a pittance for! And thats definately not writing!

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I write personal journals on my computer, so it's a hobby. I'll probaby never get published (which makes me sad because I have all sorts of good ideas in my head that'll go to waste.)

In my mind, I'm a writer. I sit down and write in my journals. Depending on the subject, I can type for an hour or an hour and a half.

Will I ever publish them? God no! Some things are meant to be hidden from the world. ;)

If I ever get published, I'll still keep my day job so that if one thing flops, I'll still have money coming into my wallet.

16. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

Treat it like a job and it'll turn into one. You have tax write offs if you work towards it in such a manner.