1. taytay98

taytay98 New Member

Need Help With Mythical Creatures!

Discussion in 'Research' started by taytay98, Aug 27, 2011.

So, I'm in search for two mythical creatures. One, I would like to be a bird - not a Phoenix, more of an eagle, and a serpent.

I had a bird picked out, but I lost the sheet of paper that I had it written down on.

I was thinking of a Basilik for the serpent, but I'm not sure.

I don't want any half animal and half humanbones either. I'm sorry I'm picky, but this is sort of important. Haha.

Thanks so much, and I'm sorry of it's in the wrong forum.

Peace.

2. Shadowstar

Shadowstar Member

Hmm, for the bird maybe a griffin/griffon/gryphon. It's a eagle-lion kinda creature...

As for the serpent I would say a Basilisk or wingless dragon possibly.

3. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Cockatrice for the bird (although it's sort of a serpent as well)

A hydra might work for a serpent-type creature. Or a wyvern.

5. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

6. GreenRain

GreenRain New Member

The Quetzalcoatl would be perfect. The name itself means "Quezlal bird", the bird the Mayan and Aztecs collected their prized feathers from, and serpent.

Now, try this, Archeopteryx. That would be the animal that laid the egg from which the chicken hatched. Still a dinosaur, with accessories to help it glide and even run faster -- eh, like a chicken, really.

Then you could get imaginative. like, what if gators had wings? How do we know somewhere in their evolution one of their kin didn't?

7. Knight's Move

Knight's Move New Member

For a more eastern flavour you could go with an Arabian Roc for the bird and a Laotian Naga for the serpent.

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

For the giant birds consider the terrible Thunderbird and the Roc.

For serpents, how about Naga's as someone has said, and of course the mighty Oruborus - the serpent that bites is own tail, and some say can be so large as to surround the world.

Cheers.

9. Gail Winds

Gail Winds New Member

Mythical Creatures and Beasts

http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/

There's a Wikipedia page for Mythical Creatures and Beasts. If you scroll down the page a bit, it'll show different types of folklore: Cryptozoology, Sea Creatures, Norse... If you click it, they'll have an alphabetical list of the different creatures.

Some of the lists are rather short, and it's a user generated page, so it may not be totally reliable.

If worst comes to worst, make one up.

10. Vaalthurion

Vaalthurion Member

Who say's you need a pre-existing mythical creature to go off of?

You could always craft a new one yourself, unique and specific to your storyline.

11. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

... Wait, what? Do you understand the concept of flight and how hard it is? Alligators and crocodiles, even if they DID have wings, would not be able to use them because they're too heavy. There's a reason birds can fly; it's because their bones are hollow. Lizards generally can't fly. If they're lucky, they can glide and then ride the thermals up high, but alligators and crocodiles live in rivers and on land. They're lizard-bones. There are a whole host of reasons for why anything with that body shape cannot have wings.

Because if the story is set on Earth, you kinda need a basis to run from. You can't just have it come from nowhere if it's set in the real world in real life. People actually believe in these things. Things you make up do not belong on Earth, they belong in fantasy settings.

12. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Roc is an excellent mythical bird, there are also the Native American Thunderbirds.

The Python is named after a huge mythical snake sent by Hera in Greek mythology and killed by Apollo I believe. Many real animals are named after mythical beasts.

13. GreenRain

GreenRain New Member

¡When the Crurotarsi fly!

As to the crocadillian comment, I simply didn't provide the homework.

Second, we can't really know what is or has been out there. six-billion years of evolution, what has been possible? We are like, trying to study the library of congress which has gone up in flames and we have maybe a page or two left, and it isn't all from the same book.

There are several lizards and frogs who glide or 'Parachute' to travel or escape. There are even fish who do so. Maybe because of the Crurotarsi weight and density they developed only a glider or extended jumper or two. One thing we can reasonably know for certain, Nature is conservative. If it works once, she will build it again, and a gain, with maybe only modest design modifications.

PS: Who says you have to limit yourself to 'Earth' as the origin of the animal? Maybe interstellar flight is difficult for us to imagine and accept, but then so was powered flight and a human doing it.

Huh, I like it. Just because you can't imagine it, doesn't mean it isn't so. Magus Thom Potter.

14. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

How about the Iz and the world serpent?

The Iz was big enough to block out the sky with its wings and the world serpent circled the world.