1. lee0111

lee0111 New Member

how to write paragraph for fiction writers?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by lee0111, Sep 5, 2018.

Do you know a book that teaches you how to write paragraph for fiction writers?

Great writers use simple sentences to create magic paragraphs.

I tried it, but I couldn't create this magic just by mimicking a simple sentence.

How do you keep asking questions about stories and words, like great writers?

Please let me know if you have any books to learn about writing concise sentences. I would be more grateful if that was for the fiction writer.

Someone has recommended the book, 'It Was the Best of Sentences: A Writer's Guide to Crafting Killer Sentences.' This book was very helpful to me.

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I say read fiction and read a lot of it. That's the way you're going to learn the most about writing. That's what I do for the most part. Read. Read. Read. I honestly don't know a better way to learn about writing.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I agree that you need to read, a lot, and read fairly good fiction. I don't mean that you have to read literary classics, but try to select authors that are reasonably well-regarded for their writing. If your preference is murder mysteries, look at PD James and Robert Barnard and Josephine Tey. If it's thrillers, I don't know who you should read, but someone else should know.

And also write. Write a lot. If you're worrying at the sentence level, you're probably not producing much writing. You really can't improve your sentences and paragraphs unless you have some material to sit down with and improve. And at that stage, you don't necessarily have to be writing fiction; if you get stage fright while writing fiction, even writing a diary is writing.

If you're looking for sources about how to improve those sentences and paragraphs, you'll probably find that information more in books that assume that you've already produced something and want to edit it. So look for books about editing and revision.

I'm thinking of books like The First Five Pages (Lukeman) and Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (Browne), though I don't actually remember if those book were good. I think I bought The First Five Pages, so I must have thought it was good, but it's not on the shelf where it belongs, so I can't page through it to remind myself.