1. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Where to Obtain Critiques?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Teladan, Jul 19, 2020.

Unlike many other hobbies, writing requires significant effort to get one's work noticed. One can't simply upload, say, a single image or video to a ready-made website platform. Critique websites for writing often require a long-term investment of time via gated community rules such as X number of posts or different kinds of credit systems. Then the potential analyser has to be bothered to read thousands of words of text. And we all know what the masses think of reading! What is the easiest way that you know to get early draft work seen and to give critiques? Aside from this forum of course. I exclude friends and family from this. I mean writers critiquing for writers.

Edit: I've had a look at various places over the years, but I mostly post my work here as I've been here for a while and it's the simplest way. Reddit has a writing sub-Reddit, but no one really responds to any work posted there.

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I originally thought your post was satire, but now I'm not sure. Seems like you've answered your own question. The 'gated community rules' exist solely so freeloaders can't just upload their work for critique without participating in the community, here or in other forums. I don't know what the 'masses' (hate that term) think of reading, but I don't know why I would want someone who doesn't like to read critiquing my work.

NK_UT, Bone2pick and Iain Aschendale like this.
  3. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Earp, it was not satire. I'm not sure how that impression was given. I just made an observation that it genuinely is quite difficult for work to be seen compared to other mediums. I understand why communities are gated. I, too, wouldn't want someone who doesn't like to read critiquing my work. I didn't suggest otherwise. I simply said that not many people like reading nowadays and it's difficult to get critiques or any feedback at all. I'm certainly not a freeloader, but I admit I am looking for easier routes. That is, if they exist at all.

4. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Probably the easiest way is via a writing group. Another thought is if you were to take a creative writing course (for example) you should get feedback on your work.

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

It's kind of like anything else. If people like you, they will want to help you out. If they don't, they won't. If there's something in it for them, they will be more likely to participate. If not, then no.

And so forth.

NK_UT likes this.
  6. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

If you google glug events and take a look at what they are offering, it is really good IMO. It is a worldwide community that hold local events. Meetups basically for like-minded creative types. Most things tend to be free but if they have a writer, artist, graphic designer etc giving their time you may need to buy tickets. So just to be clear you have to attend in person which appreciably is difficult right now.

7. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Well, this forum also has a credit system - you're supposed to do 2 critiques for every piece of writing you post.

I find that if you do critiques, you tend to receive critiques back when you post your own work. People remember and reciprocate. I know that I certainly ignore stuff by someone who I haven't seen posting critiques of their own.

As to where else? Writing groups have been mentioned, but I'm personally a little wary of having the same group of people critiquing my work all the time. I prefer to have a varied audience. Or you can always ask for a beta reader.

Steve Rivers and jannert like this.
  8. NK_UT

NK_UT Active Member

That's true. And also one thing holding me back personally, and I have ended up wondering much the same thing as the thread author.

This brings up another question, though: Where can one find writing groups and the like? I've never been that great at social engagements, generally preferring to go at it myself. Writing, as it turns out, is a venture that requires a lot of input from others to help make your writing successful.