1. AlphabeticNumber

AlphabeticNumber Banned

Brain damage by blunt damage

Discussion in 'Research' started by AlphabeticNumber, Feb 16, 2018.

So i'm making a story, which probably will include a lot of blunt damage to the head. And i was wondering if some of you could inform me of some ways the brain can get effected and or damaged. For example: inability to move / paralysation(please correct me if this word was written incorrectly), inability to move, hallucinations, memory loss etc

And i wonder if one can survive an attack to the brain when attacked with a dagger.

Thanks in advance!

2. Maggie May

Maggie May Active Member

Like a concussion. Often times the brain does not function the same, people can be forgetful, change in behavior, speech/smell can all be changed. Something they could easily do before they have trouble with. I know a lady that had a concussion, she expressed herself differently, it was hard to hold a conversation with her because she could not understand what you were saying. It's been over a year and she's finally starting to understand things.

3. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

Oh you're writing a story about people playing the game Dota 2 huh

Anyways, from my understanding of head injuries, it can easily be anything. Your brain controls almost all of your motor, speech, observation, cognitive, emotional, etc functions, so damage to the brain (either from a concussion, which is when the skull is struck and the brain whacks up against the skull, or from simple blunt force like something hitting the top of the head and smashing through the skull and directly hitting the brain) can cause pretty much any thinkable series of brain damage problems. I've read of people losing memories, gaining memories, forgetting ingrained motor skills, changing personality, losing/gaining depression and anxiety, etc.

If someone were stabbed in the brain with a dagger, it's completely possible that they could suffer damage to different lobes/areas of the brain that control and enable movement, thus becoming paralyzed.

http://www.allabouttbi.com

'Paralysis' is listed as a common symptom of brain damage, at the very least.

4. AlphabeticNumber

AlphabeticNumber Banned

And does the amount of damage or the tool used to "whack" the head matter?

5. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

I would say yes and no. I mean, damage to the brain is the sort of thing where 'amount of damage' may matter less than 'specifics of damage'. Someone might get a massive concussion that bruises a large area of their brain and only have minimal symptoms, where as someone might suffer from a smaller concussion that doesn't bruise as much area of the brain, but damages a specific spot that leads them to suffer partial paralysis.

6. Bookaholic

Bookaholic New Member

So i'm making a story, which probably will include a lot of blunt damage to the head. And i was wondering if some of you could inform me of some ways the brain can get effected and or damaged. For example: inability to move / paralysation(please correct me if this word was written incorrectly), inability to move, hallucinations, memory loss etc

Hey, another thing that can happen is a change in personality. Its rare, but some people after getting hurt in the head, suffer a complete personality change e.g. from kind and helpful to grumpy and cruel. Hope it helped ;)

7. AlphabeticNumber

AlphabeticNumber Banned

And does it take time to develop those disadvantages? And is it possible to get OCD when hit in the head

8. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

This is actually very common, prisons and hospitals around the world are filled with these consequences. Frontal Lobe damage is the most common way this occurs. I have know many that have different personality traits after a blow to the head. It usually manifests itself in 'risky' behaviors, not thinking things through all the way, shorter 'fuse', more aggressive when sex is/could be involved.
    Brain damage and the future of people suffering from it has been documented since writing began.

Carly Berg likes this.