1. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Elemental genres

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Matt E, Dec 12, 2018.

The concept behind elemental genres is that a book can be constructed out of several different elemental genres. Instead of just being a fantasy novel for example, a novel can have a fantasy setting, with a plot that includes elements of mystery, horror, and romance woven in as separate plot threads.

https://writingexcuses.com/2016/01/03/writing-excuses-11-1-introduction-to-elemental-genre/

What do you think of this idea, and do your books draw on multiple elemental genres?

My current book touches on a lot of the ones that Writing Excuses discussed, but in particular, the ones that I draw most on are: mystery, horror, idea

Others that they talked about are: relationship, humor, adventure, ensemble (think team dynamic; heist stories, underdog sports), thriller, drama, issue. There can be any number, but in particular elemental genres are the common themes that evoke specific emotions in a reader, such as dread (horror) or curiousity (mystery).

I’m particularly interested in this idea because I want to write a book that appeals on several different levels. That weaves in mystery, action, horror, and humor into one interesting story with a lot of different dimensions. Which is life, I think. Everyone experiences all of these in their life, and I like the idea of writing stories that have that sort of variety too.

These are not to be confused with bookshelf genres, which are more of a marketing category.

2. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I love this stuff too.

Another person you should look up is Truby. He takes genres very seriously.

Bone2pick and LoaDyron like this.
  3. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Trying to combine different genres is a difficult job because you at least had to have an idea of which works with and usually their premise. It's not impossible, but you will have to study a little bit of which you want to explore, experiment on your story and then see if it's working. John Calligan posted a good video for you to watch, John Truby is a well-known screenwriter, but he knows what he's talking about. Plus I will suggest reading his book: John Truby presents The Anatomy of Story. There's a section he talks about Genres. Give it a look. I hope this helps :)

John Calligan likes this.
  4. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Yeah, one has to understand a genre to be able to use it right. But I don't think it's uncommon for writers to draw from multiple genres when writing a good book. Whenever a non-romance has a romantic subplot, I think the writer is already doing this. Similar to science fiction novels where the scientists are trying to figure out a mystery, or fantasy novels where a bunch of characters are teaming up to rob the royal treasury. It's just a different way of thinking of how we draw ideas into our books I think.

Norfolk nChance and Bone2pick like this.
  5. Norfolk nChance

Norfolk nChance Banned

@Matt E

We definitely think alike. My favorite areas are war, history and Sci-Fi. With many focused genre books I feel tend to dilute either characters or depth making the genre a rod for the books back. Many Sci-Fi stories fall fowl here with one dimensional or flat characters.

I like Peter F. Hamilton, he’s very wordy and the books take an age to get going. Once moving the books come alive and the characters attitudes change slowly. I noticed he mixes genres continually, Sci-Fi with Horror or crime thriller or both within a Sci-Fi genre. If time try the Nights Dawn Trilogy...

https://www.amazon.com/Reality-Dysfunction-Nights-Dawn-Book-ebook/dp/B003GK21DA/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546630280&sr=1-2&keywords=The+Night%27s+Dawn+Trilogy

I’m not a fan of horror but he makes it work within a giant Space Opera with a detective mystery.
    By adding different genres he somehow gives the characters and worlds extra depth...

Norfolk

6. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

I call my genre Fantasy / Drama / Romance.
    It's basically drama with a Fantasy setting and a tendency for romantic plots.

Haven't had any luck finding a publisher that has a category even remotely close to this mix. This is what I write, though. I will not give up the drama and replace it with dragons. That would be another writer, not me.

Matt E and Norfolk nChance like this.
  7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Lots of fantasy has drama and romance. I'd say you're writing fantasy.

deadrats, TirelessSeven and Rosacrvx like this.
  8. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

@Rosacrvx -- I would agree with @BayView here. And I don't think in doing so you're having to compromise anything or that anyone is going to ask you too.

9. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure I see any difference between the genres you mentioned and how they are used by bookstores. It doesn't change the genre. Or am I missing something?

I think genre blending and mixing can be a fun experiment. It's something I've been playing with a bit myself. However, I think it's best to focus your main efforts in a specific direction while allowing other elements in. It's an interesting concept to try and fit pieces together that don't usually belong. Still, I know my goals and targets when it comes to publishing. I already question how far I'm pushing the line. I believe sometimes I have crossed the line. It's okay. I sometimes need to go all over the place so I can come back and focus. And unlike life, writing needs more of a focus and I'm not sure can really pull off being everything. Though, I admit I have been wrong before.

John Calligan likes this.