1. DaveLu

DaveLu Member

Urban Fantasy readers: Do you find this idea of "restricted magic" cliche?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by DaveLu, Aug 5, 2014.

I have my own inflections on this topic, or I know what I would do differently, but are you generally tired of hearing stories about the government starting a war against witches and wizards, taking them into custody, forbidding magic, or hearing "anyone who uses magic will be taken to jail", etc.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Eh... it seems more or less logical to me, really. Power doesn't like what it doesn't control and doesn't understand.

Edited to add: That doesn't mean that I'm fascinated by story after story themed on it. It just means that it doesn't strike me as a cliched fact as part of a fictional world.

DaveLu likes this.
  3. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

In the story I'm currently writing the totalitarianistic faction occupying the PoV character's nation pretty much says to all the casters (sorcerers, wizards, witches, I wanted a newer name) that they either swear their unfailing allegiance to the faction or be executed. I don't like the whole "Anyone who uses magic will be taken to jail" thing. It reminds me too much of Harry Potter where he fought off the Dementors and the Ministry of Magic flipped shit on him (I don't like Harry Potter for a lot of reason, this is one of them).

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

What is your story about? That is more important than the plot devices.

DaveLu likes this.
  5. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Personally, yes, I am tired of such stories because the main theme is always racism and discrimination due to fear or lack of understanding.

6. DaveLu

DaveLu Member

Ah yes, and there's the whole "Coming out" metaphor often weaved in to someone who has magical abilities. But it's good to know that I wasn't taking it in that direction.

I know what you mean. I guess with something like this, as mentioned, it's how you write it. Taking a step back and looking at my idea, I'd say that I'm steering pretty clear of the cliches so far.

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Not going to lie, I'm not a big fan of stories where the non-magical/super-power people fear and hate the magical/super-power people and find ways to oppress and persecute them. Doubly so if despite all that the magical/super-power protagonist will still protect them.

That said, you should still do what you want. :) You don't have to do the 'throw everyone who use magic in jail' plot. Maybe your magical people had a self-imposed exiled in place by their authoritative government because they feared the non-powerful humans who just don't know they exist. Anyone who dares interact with the non-powerful humans would be punished. Your story could be about bridging cultures and overcoming differences.

...Then again, that may be a cliché as well. Ah, just go with your guts! :D If you think it's clichéd and doesn't work, don't do it.

8. DaveLu

DaveLu Member

Oh yeah my story didn't deal with that. I strictly avoided the magic vs non magic discrimination thing. Both sides would consent to having magic restricted to some areas and if the laws were broken they'd be taken to jail (magical and non magical working together). One side wouldn't be trying to purge the world like magneto haha

9. JindleBrey

JindleBrey New Member

Maybe a bit cliché, but I find it interesting as a secondary plot.

A story I'm developing at the moment takes place in 17th century England, so it's only natural that magic is oppressed.

10. ToDandy

ToDandy Senior Member

This idea is a little played out, but it all depends on what kind of unique spin you put on it. Any idea, no matter how overdone, can be turned into an enjoyable read with the right execution.