1. Emma Evans

Emma Evans New Member

Emma (newbie) from Melbourne Australia. Hi...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Emma Evans, Jun 22, 2020.

Hi I'm Emma.
    I'm in my 50s, mostly retired (though some part-time teaching in IT) and like reading, bicycle riding, walking and photography.
    I am not a writer, though I would like to start. Probably mystery style stuff as that's what I like to read.

I write funny (in my opinion) articles for newsletters of small clubs that I belong to. I sometimes end up writing the entire newsletter.

I have read the intro guide on this site, but I am still at a loss about knowing what to do. How do I critique someone's work? Where are they located? I believe I have to do that as part of the initiation.

Thanks,
    Emma

Steve Rivers likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Hi Em (there's a reason I shortened it, we'll get to that in a little bit), I'm Iain, one of the moderators here. Welcome aboard! Glad to see you found the intro guide, but I just want to make sure you've read both Forum Rules and New Member Quick Start, they cover some of the same material but there's not a total overlap.

As for me shortnaming you, @jannert will be around in a bit (if she hasn't already) to chat about your username. No problems on our end or anything, but I didn't want to include the full deal if you decided to change it. It'll make sense when you read Jan's note.

You say you're not a writer, but you write opinion pieces for newsletters and sometimes entire newsletters? Guess what? You're a writer!

As for the critiquing bit, you need to go to The Writing Workshop, or as it's most commonly referred to, the Workshop. You can follow that link, it goes to the third section on our main page. Feel free to read whatever you want and offer any helpful critiques you can. I know it can seem daunting at first, there might not be much new that's in your wheelhouse, but there are many levels to critique. Could be plot, wording, pacing, characterizations, or even just SPAG (Spelling, Punctuation, and Grammar). We've got members with different strenghths and weaknesses in all of those areas, so something will come along soon that you can help out with.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me or any of the other moderators (jannert, EFMingo, or Big Soft Moose). See you around!

3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Not nearly enough Aussies around here, if you ask me. There's thirty million of you guys, where are you all hiding? :)
    (I love Melbourne btw. I've been to Sydney, Hobart, and Melbourne and it was my fave, go Storm!)

So it's good to get another on board at the least. Welcome Emma!

Some Guy likes this.
  4. Emma Evans

Emma Evans New Member

Hi Iain, jannert has been in contact with me and I'm fine with my user name.
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Emma

5. Emma Evans

Emma Evans New Member

Hi Steve. Thanks for the welcome. As you know, people from Melbourne don't discuss Sydney in polite conversation. I'll try to represent the 30 million (I thinks it's around 26?) Australians with pride and a limited amount of swearing and drunkenness. No promises.