1. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I hate planning. Am I just being lazy?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ps102, Jul 29, 2022.

I want to start this off by saying that my writing process sucks. I saw an interview from a playwright (I'm not interested in being a playwright) who said that often people who dislike writing dislike their process. I completely agree with that.

When I wrote my first sci-fi story, I'd describe my process as brute-forcing my way in. No structure, no outline, just a basic idea and some character bio(s), it was basically a journey of wherever my pen took me. But it was a damn painful one. I don't know how many hours I spent staring at a blank document, or the amount of manuscripts I discarded, and the amount of drafts I went through. I just tried writing over and over and over and over and over and over until my story looked like a real one. I had some serious determination, but that's the only thing I had.

I did succeed in writing it, only after spending an entire year worth's of free time, and a whole summer. But I had ended up with something far better than my original vision, a long 350k word sci-fi. Not that it's anything perfect or professional, but I like to think of it as a really good try.

The problem here should be obvious: This is an immensely inefficient way to do things. Not to mention, all these incredible amount of hours wasted doing nothing but staring is wasted time. I think that there must be a better way.

My new project is a trilogy, and I experimented with the process this time. For the first book, I actually followed my original process, and somehow, it was a complete breeze. I mean... the words were just pouring out of me, and everyday I was excited to get back to it.

But not so much the second and the third, so I decided to experiment with the snowflake method. And I have to say that I hate it, especially the character planning. I did originally write character plans for my first book and although they were long and detailed, almost none of the information in them was useful to me, because I found that I was writing the characters as I was going along the drafts, so I ended up writing a different version of them altogether.

I feel that no planning is a bad idea, and me avoiding it is just a form of laziness, even when not doing it causes me to work harder. I think that finding a process is going to be really helpful. So I'll stick with the snowflake to write the third book for now and see where it goes.

Do you have any thoughts?

By the way, I'm following this guide: https://bubblecow.com/blog/snowflake-method

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You're going to need to do some plotting. It can be beforehand or after-the-fact in revisions and editing, but at some point you're going to have to do it. It sounds like you're a discovery writer like I am. For me it works far better to let the story take shape as I'm writing it. It also helps to know a lot about plotting from studying books on the subject. It doesn't mean you have to use all the info, but when you run into a problem it really does help to understand how stories are put together so you can diagnose it.

3. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

Each person writes using unique brain-equipment.
    The verbal and sub-verbal levels must form an organic whole with the overarching and the thematic.
    There is a Hobbesian choice between methods that only work for the person who devised them, and methods that are industrial.
    I would urge the OP to return to their original process and persevere to adjust it to the new work.

This might be a neurotypical writing method:-
    PLOTTING: the axis-of-context is a conscious effort external to the work
    WRITING: axis-of-syntax is conscious ; axis-of-selection is unconscious
    EDITING: the apparatus of syntax and selection swap roles

It's totally malleable though. With enough practice we can plot as we go along, or free-write shelves of material and find a plot in it afterwards
    Personally, I write the chapter titles first so that each chapter will put forward an argument developing on the one before
    The characters wander about in that - some of the arguments are more relevant to them and they become agitated, but for others they might stay in the background
    If I did more plotting, probably people would find my drafts less confusing, but there would be a direct and horrific price to pay in novelty-value

Suzuzu, deadrats and Xoic like this.
  4. Xoic

To be more precise, I should say my usual method is to at least figure out a general shape for the story and a basic character arc for the MC, plus somewhat of a rough character web for the main characters. All of this being tentative and always subject to change as the story grows and develops. New ideas force me to go back and adjust everything. Then each day before getting to the writing I do figure out some specifics. So in a sense that's plotting as you go I suppose. What I don't do is make an outline, or chart inciting incident and turning points etc according to any formula. However after the writing, if things don't seem to be working, I can check on where these things are (if they're there) and how I might need to move them around or add one to improve the story.

But the initial writing shouldn't be to any sort of formula or theory or chart. I've seen professional writers say that, and I agree, though I know many don't. It comes down to what works for you, and I'm more of a discovery writer who only creates a very loose scaffolding before launching into the writing. It's in the flow of words and sentences that it comes alive, and I want that to be happening almost the entire time, not after figuring out the entire plot.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  5. ps102

Thing is, I'm tired of persevering. I've already endured hundreds of hours, if not more, staring at a screen waiting for the bulb to light up. I really need to change something here. I could keep at it, but if there is a better way, why go down that road?

I'm the opposite, I write my titles a few drafts after. But I suppose I might consider this. I have this belief that if I can't title a chapter meaningfully, something is wrong with it.

That's what I think too, I just need to find a way to have a structure in advance I can work with. Something like a skeleton I can flesh out if that makes sense. I really am trying to think back as to what I did for the first book in the trilogy that made it so easy to work with it.

Might I ask then, do you not make long essays on your characters or other long documents of some kind? I read articles that suggest to do something of the sort and I always dread it. I mean, I feel that I can write good characters without that, because I know them by heart. So when I write them down on paper, they feel less real, and it's honestly a bit awkward. I like to see them in action.

6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

You don't necessarily need to do any plotting or planning. Usually, I don't plot or plan at all. None. I get that every writer's process is different, but for me I just write the actual story and forgo any sort of outline or plotting. I also don't read books about writing very often, almost never. I think reading actual stories can teach you a lot more than any how-to writing books or articles. I trust my instincts when it comes to writing, and I know that it comes from being an avid reader of actual stories. I think story structure is actually one of my strengths. Even without any sort of plotting or outlining I trust in my abilities that the story will form nicely.

@ps102 -- I don't think it's lazy not to plan or plot, but there are countless ways to approach writing a story and there's nothing wrong with trying a bunch of them out. Good luck in figuring out what works for you.

7. deadrats

I'm not sure plotting is something that goes away with practice if it's a method that works for a writer. I guess it could if that's something a writer wants. I've never been a plotter. When I've tried to plot or plan something it usually comes out a mess. I know that might sound weird, but it just doesn't work well for me.I'm basically 100 percent a pantser. And I thin k when something is working, it's probably a good idea to stick with it. Pantsing is no0t a form of laziness. It's just an approach and option for writers.

ps102 and B.E. Nugent like this.
  8. deadrats

@ps102 -- A writing schedule might help you more than an outline. That's how it is for me. Having a routine should help cut back on staring at the screen. If you've got a set time to work, sometimes it can help you, well..., work. In my opinion, too much outline, planning and/or time spent researching outline and planning can turn out to be a distraction and form of procrastination. But I wish you luck at finding a method that works for you.

B.E. Nugent, ps102 and evild4ve like this.
  9. Xoic

I believe you write mostly short stories, right? That's a lot easier to do without plotting than a novel.

10. deadrats

I don't plot or plan with anything, including novels. It's not about something being easier. It's just the way I work.

Lawless likes this.
  11. ps102

Thanks! I've been working with the snowflake method for a few days now and it seems... to help? Can't say until I write the actual thing :p

I have this suspicion that the only reason I was acting like a Pantser was because when I first got into all of this, I was a noob, and just went on with it never considering much. I stuck with that since it was the only thing I knew and it seemed to work, not because it was the best.

And you know what? The more I do the snowflake method, the more I'm reminded of the way I wrote my first book. I did something similar unconsciously, writing the book in a basic form and then going back and forth to expand its ideas and scenes and characters. Only I didn't have a pragmatic approach, just loose experimentation, and zero direction!

Xoic and deadrats like this.
  12. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

As with a lot of things in life, I think having a plan of sorts in place would greatly assist the writer.
    Having said that the 'plan' shouldn't be cast in stone but be adaptable depending on how the story progresses - plot, characters, setting etc.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    Not the Territory and evild4ve like this.
  13. ABeaujolais

ABeaujolais Member

I want to be careful here because I don't know what your situation is and don't want to imply anything that doesn't apply. I'll just relate some experience I've had with smart people who had trouble keeping their thoughts organized toward a goal.

I was in an industry populated by credentialed individuals, attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, CFPs, etc. The industry involved production of research materials for tax professionals. I was surprised by the number of these individuals who identified as struggling with some kind of attention deficit, ADHD being the most common. I hired one individual pretty soon out of college who was high intelligence and a very good writer. He said he was diagnosed with ADHD after he graduated college. He said when he started on medication it was like someone turned on a light switch. It completely changed his life. I heard similar stories from others. I've also seen people who had chronic difficulty finishing anything. There was always a point where they'd veer abruptly off the path they were on only to begin a never-ending state of spinning into oblivion. The harder they tried to compensate the worse it got. Pressure to finish a manuscript or meet a deadline were met with meltdowns. I never gave advice on seeing if there's something medical that could help because I have nothing but anecdotal knowledge on the subject, but I'd bet there was something out there that could have helped.

Just a thought, since it looks like you might be consistently losing focus on whatever the original goal was. If this issue hangs over other areas of your life you might want to get it checked out.

I have no idea why that personality type was drawn to this industry. I did have a CFP tell me an ADHD diagnosis was a requirement to gain the credential, which I believe based on the CFPs I knew personally. I was also involved with youth fastpitch softball, and there were a high number of girls who had some kind of attention issues. I think kids with attention issues were drawn to softball or baseball because the game itself requires very short bursts of attetion. FOCUS...relax, relax, relax, relax...FOCUS....relax, relax, relax.

14. ps102

@ABeaujolais

This isn't a mental health forum so I refrained to mention it. But without looking for advice on this particular matter for obvious reasons, I'd say that you are really not far off honestly, at least when it comes to me. I very likely do have something wrong with my brain in that regard, my mom's entire side of the family has something very troubling that went undiagnosed for years. There is still no diagnosis. It was never explored for various complicated reasons that I won't get into.

My math teacher commented on the matter himself, it's like my mind slips into some other dimension without me realizing it. He also said openly that my thinking in terms of performance and efficiency (on a practical level which is ESSENTIAL for maths) is absolutely garbage. Cruel but I had to face that reality.

I'll very briefly say that it does very badly. My childhood and teens were a complete disaster. Isolated, outcast, complete academic failure, the list goes on and on. Very dramatic stuff. I went out of school not knowing how to multiply, if you want a scale for how bad. But I'm doing slightly better nowadays :)

Unfortunately, the health system here in the UK has me on a two-year long wait to really even begin exploring this. I imagine it will be quite a few long years. Only recently did I really learn of the possibility :p

Again... not a mental health forum so... not really looking to explore this here. I'll leave that to the professionals. This is more about looking for a writing process that will help me.

15. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

No it is not. And we've had MANY issues in the past when the discussion veers in that direction. Everybody is good so far but let's keep it that way, please.

16. ps102

No worries, I intend only to discuss a writing process... which is why I put that disclaimer in the beginning.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  17. P1LGR1M

P1LGR1M Member

Usually, a creative mind simply needs a little discipline. If you have a basic idea for a novel, take a piece of paper and jot down the basic course of events you want it to follow. I was watching some commentary on Star Wars once and they showed how it followed, basically, the same plot nearly every story follows, lol. Character introduced. In steps some magical being to explain the need for character to save ___________(fill in the blank). Character goes on journey to procure something that is needed. Character finds that something. Character defeats villain. Character returns home.

Most of my writing follows the typical Indiana Jones method, I make it up as I go. But I have gotten to the point (finally!) where I have to go back and do a little tweaking of structure.

So give that creative-probably (very likely-to-be) overactive-needs a focus mind something to focus on. It could be very basic:

Introduce Main Character (you can give MC character flaws that can be worked out through the journey)

Decide on a/the conflict/s MC has thrust upon him or discovers

Decide where conflict will take place

Decide how MC can resolve conflict

Decide what MC needs to resolve conflict

Decide who will help MC resolve conflict

Decide who is going to keep MC from resolving conflict

Decide how you are going to destroy those who interfere with MC

Just jot down ideas. Structure can wait, just get the main ingredients. You can rearrange at your leisure later.

Once you get the basic idea of what will happen, let your mind go to town.

I like the idea of writing something on the characters. That's a new idea for me, and one that makes sense. Just might give it a go, lol.

Good luck and get busy!

18. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I'm not sure where you're at in the writing process from what you've written. Whether this is even a plotting versus pantstering issue, or something else. Personally I'm a complete pantster / discovery writer - and for me it has advantages. But you still get stuck in places. Enthusiasm wanes or you write yourself into a corner. One way I have found out of these issues is to go the questions route. Your character commits some action or experiences some event. Go into him / her and ask - what happened? Why did s/he do what s/he did? How does s/he feel about it? And from there, what's s/he going to do? Or turn to the story. Ask it, what happened? And what's likely to follow? This is the essence of pantster writing. You don't know what's going to happen - but usually your characters and your story do. Ask them.

Alternatively try plotting. I have - it doesn't work for me since I can't write to a plot. But most people find some degree of plotting helpful. And there's lots of good resources on how to plot. However in the end most writers simply have to find their own place on the spectrum between plotting and pantsting. Very few are purely one or the other.

Given what you posted originally however I wonder if the problem isn't actually motivation. Maybe it's the story itself - it just doesn't excite you. I don't know. Only you can answer that. So I would say, ask yourself that and the obvious question - what do you truly want to write? What's in your heart?

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Greg.

ps102 likes this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I rarely plot fiction to any great degree - i just have some idea of where i want to go... it helps that i'm mostly writing detective fiction or action adventure so the overall plot is predetermine to detective catches the bad guys or hero kills the bad guys , gets the girl/boy and saves the world.

non fiction i have to plan - usually with chapter titles and a summayr of what i want to be in each chapter

ps102 and Lawless like this.
  20. ps102

Thank you for the responses everyone! I appreciate it.

I just finished planning the third book with the snowflake method, starting from when this post was created on July 29th. It's Midnight, August 18th now. This means that the whole plan took me 2 days short of three weeks, so 19 days.

In terms of coming up with a more compelling plot, it definitely helped for sure, I was able to add a whole other layer of depth to the story than what I originally had in mind. But I was still getting completely and utterly stuck on a regular basis, so while it helps me deal with that problem, it doesn't solve it.

Still, it feels like the crude and hardest part where the most blank-document staring takes place in has been done. I planned and identified a total of 58 scenes as well as a scenario that outlines a plot that I really like. The whole planning document is actually 30k words, so all I need to do now is write the actual story and lay it all out in my first draft :) After I catch up on some sleep...

I'll use a Progress Journal the forum offers to keep track of my progress everyday and see if I get stuck with my nicely detailed plan and a plot that I like.

21. Siena

Siena Senior Member

Whatever works for you. I tend to use the journey, change, theme, pace method: https://www.youtube.com/user/clickokDOTcoDOTuk/videos

22. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I'm new to this discussion, but I don't think this has been addressed before. I've always been a pantser, but not long ago I began using Scrivener, which allows one to write scenes and chapters in discrete and arrangeable and rearrangeable order. I used it on my last story, and found it very helpful, since I wasn't locking myself in, and could easily find and revise various parts. Scrivener has a little brother called Scapple, which is like a bulletin board, on which you place notes and connections, all easily adaptable and arrangeable. I'm seriously using it right now, and it is letting me get my story in shape, and I think working back from there will be helpful. [Both Scrivner and Scapple require licenses, but they are affordable; and Scrivener's manual gets kind of wonky, but once I began seriously using it, it all gradually made -- and is making -- sense.]

I hope so, and I'll keep y'all posted on that.

Xoic and ps102 like this.