Ending a novel but opening it up for the next book

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by kingzilla, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As has been mentioned, Suzanne Collins was already a well-established author. The rules are far different for her than for a new writer.

And yes, it IS fair. She had to pay her dues, too.

2. Jenny Masters

Jenny Masters New Member

Harry Potter Philosopher's Stone - Voldermort gets away.

Star Wars - Vader gets away.

This is standard method.

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

Nope.

Harry Potter is "the exception that proves the rule." EDIT: It was her first book, but there are exceptions to every rule. And Vader doesn't really get away. He goes spiraling off into space, and could be presumed dead/lost forever if the franchise ended there.

Since most of this site is for unpublished authors, this site often focuses its advice to getting your first book published. Many of the other examples you might be subconsciously aware of were likely done by already successful writers. If you are published, the rules change and you can have a lot more freedom. And if you have the same respect JK Rowling has earned, you can do whatever you want.

4. Jenny Masters

Jenny Masters New Member

Disagree.

Philosopher's Stone was her first book.

I could quote a hundred more examples but I won't.

It can be done and it is done all the time. You just can't see it.

5. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I agree. Leaving cliffhangers in series happens all the time. For new and seasoned authors. Unless I am miraculously only reading the exceptions to the above statements. My favorite things to read are series of the Science Fiction and Fantasy genre's. With that said--I cant think of a single series I have read that didn't have cliffhangers after the first book, or subsequent entries.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nearly all were written by previously published authors.

Jo Rowling was the lottery winner, the lightning strike. Also, the market has not stood still since then. Times are now tighter, and publishers are taking fewer chances.

However, for every piece of advice, there are those who will scoff. And each writer will decide whether to follow a piece of advice, or are certain he or she knows better.

Nothing wrong with that.

7. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I am not scoffing. I am just simply stating I have never read a series that did not have cliffhangers (for better or worse). And as a person who only reads series, I personally like cliffhangers. It gives me something to think about while waiting for the next one. Which, if you think about it on a marketing standpoint--that is a good thing. The book is always on my mind and not forgotten.

8. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

I hardly call Vader hurdling uncontrollably into space as "gets away".

9. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Ditto Cogito's wise words.
    However, as long as the novel completes the main action/theme I don't believe you need to tie up every loose thread. Just enough so it doesn't annoy the reader and so that it doesn't seem like you've been unable to find a resolution. In The French Lieutenant’s Woman, John Fowles even gave two alternative endings, but the book had an unusual experimental style anyway. The important thing is that you don't make it blatantly obvious the novel is only part of a story and push the next volume on the reader. As has been said, it must be able to stand alone.

10. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I think there might be more exceptions in sci-fi/fantasy, but I heard this exact advice personally from a seasoned sci-fi/fantasy writer who had published over 100 books at a writer's conference. He added it was unwise to even start your career with a series, even if it doesn't leave cliffhangers. I didn't want to hear it then, but have since acquiesced in my opinion.

It is also a matter of humility. The authors that get their first book published despite leaving cliffhangers are best-sellers. Are they best-sellers because they leave cliffhangers, or because they are masters of their craft? I think the latter. What we must then ask ourselves is this: are we equals to these giants?

For me? Not yet.