1. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

Flash Fiction Writing Problems

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by CrimsonAngel, Sep 29, 2020.

I'm not as creative as I used to be, somebody please help me with how to write better and not have to worry about writing a few words here and there. (in case you are wondering I am writing a flash fiction piece and I am having a hard time coming up with ideas as I am outlining) thank you!

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I can’t really advise as I burn out and lose interest in my story and characters, - albeit temporarily - very quickly myself. I just keep telling myself even 100 words a day is better than none.

3. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

That's ok! I just hope someone else can help me with this problem, unless I should just google.

4. ISalem

ISalem Member

If you haven’t written for a long time, that’s expected. Not being as creative at writing as you used to because you haven’t written for a while is normal. Writing gets better by practicing and writing more. I think it’s a common problem for many writers. Being away of writing for a long time and then coming back to writing and being uncreative as used to. It takes time to get back your creative writing as it was. Just be patient.

CrimsonAngel likes this.
  5. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I like to use poems as warm-ups to writing stories. They're usually short and more controlled, allowing me to focus ideas I'd like to talk about or incorporate in a larger story work. Sometimes I'll work on a few or three for a few days to build up a series of characters or themes, then I'll be ready to dive into writing something that covers a bit more ground, sometimes using parts of what I worked out in the poems. It's a way of clearing my head. Also, don't worry about meter and rhymes with it, just let the words flow out in a prose fashion at first. Don't burden yourself too much when trying to restart.

Wreybies likes this.
  6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

To be perfectly honest you appear to be looking for an answer that doesn’t exist. Search engine results will suggest things like brain-storming, etc, but none of them work in my experience. Unfortunately there’s no magic solution to getting one’s creativeness back. It will return when it’s good and ready, and not until.

CrimsonAngel likes this.
  7. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

So it sounds like you create regularly, and have hit a downswing in your ability to write?

I've seen stuff around and one thing that stuck with me was about a creativity cycle. I forget the details but I remember part of the creativity cycle was rest. Like your body needs to sleep, sometimes your creativity slacks off. It's a recharging time, but your subconscious may be working harder than you think.

(EDIT cause typo.)

8. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

Thank you guys for your comments! And yeah I have been writing for years, just I felt like I was in a creative slump. Thanks again!

9. More

More Active Member

I suspect originality is copying more than one other person , so it is harder to know who you are copying . It is also joining things together to form something that looks new . Anyway, I suggest you start reading some new writers . I recently discovered Raymond Chandler . I'm not going to write my praise of him now , but if you can find a style of writing that is different and new to you , it can be a place for a restart. I would also suggest writing short stories using the , writing into the dark method . You can Google it . It might not work , but it might get the writing going.

CrimsonAngel likes this.
  10. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

Thank you and yes I will get to writing short stories, I am taking a short story writing course. What is the , writing dark method?

11. Siena

Siena Senior Member

It helps to base it around a framework, for example taking characters on a journey to change. Youtube is your friend: https://www.youtube.com/user/clickokDOTcoDOTuk/videos